Tin Can Rebuild V2.0

I looked at these tires heavily for a while but was hesitant for this exact reason. Nearly zero feedback from anyone who wasn't sponsored. I got to feel a set a while back and it kinda took any worry away. They feel very sticky.
They feel by far way softer than my magic stickies that stuck to rocks like glue. I will report back on these.

The Tin can buggy has only been out on 4 trips so far. Since the Harlan run it’s been to GER twice and the Gulches. It performs fantastic, but has the new buggy blues. Last trip to GER we got through one evening of wheeling and half a day before I exploded my rear output on a ledge on cripple creek. It was a pretty simple recovery, since I still had front wheel drive but ended my weekend because I left my spare case at home…

33A363D2-34B3-4548-84D1-9C2604D4658C.jpeg

After some talking with buddies and doing some research. I decided rather than throwing money at the Toyota case, it was time to step up to an Atlas. So within the next 2 weeks it was on order. Sadly, the build date is sometime in December.

To get away from the 21 spline stuff, I’m upgrading my trans to a w59. This came behind a 2rz and should bolt up to the 22re with the swap of the bell housing. It is very similar to the w56 that came in the 87 4runner, but has a 26 spline output and an adapter is available from AA. More to come on this as parts are acquired.

Since I’m down in the water and need more projects to occupy my attention span, I decided now is the time to start adding rear steer. I cannot leave well enough alone! I spitballed a few more expensive ideas for accomplishing this but at the end of the day I circled back to my more “budget” oriented rear steer plan. Here it goes:

- Rear Dana 60
- 99-04 Dana 50 outers (same outers as the 60 for these years)
- branik chromo custom shafts (inside and out)
- ball joint eliminators
- weld on high steer
- spool and gears already in my rear 60
- all the other odds and ends

I have a more comprehensive excell sheet of the parts I intend to use and will show them here as they come up. I have a rear 60 that was for another project on hand. Earlier in the year, I retubed it with half wall tubing and welded some full float spindles. Those are coming off and this will become a steering axle.

This weekend @getstucksome hooked me up with a perfectly complete Dana 50 for a little cash and beer. I harvested the outers for the steering/braking side of things.

10CCCCE4-B36B-4206-8745-91C6B8597CEE.jpeg

After getting the useless Dana 50 junk into the scrap pile, it was time to remove the leftover axle tube from the inner Cs. To do this I cut as much of the weld and tube with the angle grinder/cutoff wheel as possible. Then set up the C in the Bridgeport and milled it away until I could see a separation line between the inner tube and the cast C. This removed any of the penetrating weld remaining. Dropped it in my press and popped the tubes out. It still took 30tons of pressure to get the 3.5” tube moving.

0EE96994-72EF-4889-8DFC-2E71A5744500.jpeg

94913D05-63F7-461C-AFD0-A58E1BBA76EC.jpeg

EE470F9C-C031-4DF9-B877-83C726253158.jpeg

Next up is cutting the rear housing and getting the tubes on. Unfortunately, I will be waiting until I have the Atlas in to set the final pinion angle and caster. But plan to tack them in place for mock-up until it comes in.

Finished the day out by chopping the tubes to length, making a couple bushings, and getting the Cs started on the tube. The bushings are press fit to the Cs and a heavy interference fit to the axle tubes.. Going to get these on this week and get some measurements for inner shafts.

06177FE4-F06F-4045-ABD1-E18A3289FB06.jpeg

84074D9A-2750-4D75-B155-D70C373B3F54.jpeg

I looked at these tires heavily for a while but was hesitant for this exact reason. Nearly zero feedback from anyone who wasn't sponsored. I got to feel a set a while back and it kinda took any worry away. They feel very sticky.
To circle back to this conversation, so far I’ve wheeled with these tires at the Gulches and GER. They definitely hook up as good if not better than my MTRs. They move some dirt and clear with a little speed. They’re actually starting to wear a little, but I did read before I bought them that the tread is so soft it wears quickly. This probably wouldn’t be great with a high HP rig.

Will keep updating as more wheeling is done.

I know there's updates out there on this pile. When you get some down time from getting this ready for next weekend...we need pick churs

Since I procrastinate and do all my work in one night. I haven’t been getting update pictures like I’d hope. But here’s some pics from GER.

50A2CBBF-0247-44CE-97FA-5286441A8083.jpeg
7ACF27F3-9F0E-4FB4-B398-318A3148B7CC.jpeg
E9C94755-90FF-4026-ADE5-D4DA2E65CAA2.jpeg

IMG_0504.jpeg

Since the Atlas went in, this buggy has been getting beat on! First 2023 trip out to the ranch was mostly successful minus loosing a hydro fitting near the end of the weekend. Second trip to Windrock was largely successful. Then 2 quick trips to Harlan. One of which, I was goofing off and put it on its lid.

IMG_6454.jpeg

My updates were spotty at the point of installing the Atlas, so it’d probably be good to circle back and throw a little tech in this thread about how to actually get an Atlas behind a 22re while keeping a 5speed manual. Not that any sane person would replicate that.

So it started with me wanting to do minimum surgery to the chassis and thinking I could fit the Atlas in the spot of the Toyota case easily (boy was I wrong).

After determining (wrongly) that it’ll fit in my chassis, I had to figure out how to bolt it to the 5speed w56 that I knew so well. The answer to this was to get a w59 from a 95-04 4wd Toyota Tacoma with the 2rz. The bell housing doesn’t match the 22re but the inside bolt pattern, spline count and spline length does match! Unbolt the 2rz bell housing and bolt on a 22re bell housing along with the 22re clutch parts and it is ready to go in.

The w59 has a 26spline output that should handle a little more beating that the 21 spline in the w56 but it’s not too much larger in diameter. It’s a finer tooth spline. To adapt this to the Atlas, AA has a 26 to 23spline adapter (PN: 50-5711).

I did end up doing surgery on my chassis and unfortunately this meant all my previously made interior panels were junk.

IMG_5403.jpeg

69239884143__D072C2F7-0944-43EA-94BC-C68483C1E3ED.jpeg

Naturally, I was rushed to complete all of this to go wheeling at the Ranch NYE 2022. New interior panels haven’t been made to this day! So far, the buggy does most everything I point it at with little issue, but it’s in for more updates this fall/winter.

View attachment 403160

Since the Atlas went in, this buggy has been getting beat on! First 2023 trip out to the ranch was mostly successful minus loosing a hydro fitting near the end of the weekend. Second trip to Windrock was largely successful. Then 2 quick trips to Harlan. One of which, I was goofing off and put it on its lid.

View attachment 403162

My updates were spotty at the point of installing the Atlas, so it’d probably be good to circle back and throw a little tech in this thread about how to actually get an Atlas behind a 22re while keeping a 5speed manual. Not that any sane person would replicate that.

So it started with me wanting to do minimum surgery to the chassis and thinking I could fit the Atlas in the spot of the Toyota case easily (boy was I wrong).

After determining (wrongly) that it’ll fit in my chassis, I had to figure out how to bolt it to the 5speed w56 that I knew so well. The answer to this was to get a w59 from a 95-04 4wd Toyota Tacoma with the 2rz. The bell housing doesn’t match the 22re but the inside bolt pattern, spline count and spline length does match! Unbolt the 2rz bell housing and bolt on a 22re bell housing along with the 22re clutch parts and it is ready to go in.

The w59 has a 26spline output that should handle a little more beating that the 21 spline in the w56 but it’s not too much larger in diameter. It’s a finer tooth spline. To adapt this to the Atlas, AA has a 26 to 23spline adapter (PN: 50-5711).

I did end up doing surgery on my chassis and unfortunately this meant all my previously made interior panels were junk.

View attachment 403163
View attachment 403164

Naturally, I was rushed to complete all of this to go wheeling at the Ranch NYE 2022. New interior panels haven’t been made to this day! So far, the buggy does most everything I point it at with little issue, but it’s in for more updates this fall/winter.
Passenger seat ftw

I really like the bare bones approach.
Buggy looks like a going machine.
Appreciate it! I really enjoy when folks comment on the bare bones/simple aspect. That is exactly what I was going for when I built it.

Passenger seat ftw
You probably too skeered to ride up creampuff with me anyway!

Back