Tin Can Rebuild V2.0

I might suggest to put a cross bar between those front shock mounts, if you werent planning on it. The way they are attached to the tube, they could get ripped off, and a brace would help limit the rotation.
Had to go back and see if I posted it but I didn’t. I do have a crossbar in there and made it so that the tabs actually tie into it. Also, will be bringing a tube out from the dash tube to help with the torsional load there. I am still somewhat worried considering when I roll it that’s going to be the first point of contact. Hopefully it’ll hang in there. It’s about 2” of weld area per side of the tab and made of 1/4” plate. Planning to enclose the mounts on the front and rear with more plate bent to fit as well.

99D6F98F-5CD3-4D75-BE8B-6A1D0A5DF69A.jpeg

0A82ECE1-F974-4171-8694-71CA516DE3C7.jpeg

Solid amount accomplished this weekend. Pretty much all the main tubes are there, I’m planning to add some 1” support tubes in different areas. Also, I made mounts for my propane tank and steering orbital.

1A9510DE-AB04-4320-A223-562B9A5A83A2.jpeg

24160986-9623-4B83-8B1F-E41C1F7B2943.jpeg

5E2167DB-0DD8-4931-8FD6-A13CA81561A2.jpeg

A few shots of the mount assembly.
C8B653B3-6B11-4B91-9474-83621188F852.jpeg

FC1649E3-01C1-44C7-867F-37D539E52FEE.jpeg

9B5AA635-628C-4EBF-A875-A9054D78F97A.jpeg

Itching to go wheeling and I’m getting closer each day. This week will hopefully consist of some interior work, and potentially some aluminum work, which will be a first for me.

Finally, an overall side progress pic. There’s a lot less blank space in this chassis.

EA267A0E-8B2F-46BB-A35B-65DC8A41E60C.jpeg

Fabbed up some exhaust today. It’s left over exhaust parts from the 4 runner. Probably not the most beautiful exhaust system but it’ll get me rolling..
29287566-BA83-4DC7-90E5-BF7F79064546.jpeg

Earlier in the week I mounted the carrier bearing and measured for drive shafts.

Didn’t get around to the interior work, but I wanted to make sure my driveshafts weren’t going to need any clearence to the Aluminum floors.

Fabbed up some exhaust today. It’s left over exhaust parts from the 4 runner. Probably not the most beautiful exhaust system but it’ll get me rolling..
View attachment 347353

Earlier in the week I mounted the carrier bearing and measured for drive shafts.

Didn’t get around to the interior work, but I wanted to make sure my driveshafts weren’t going to need any clearence to the Aluminum floors.
I've been away for several days on a much needed vacation with the wife, glad to see you've made no more progress than I have! lol WTF, family life slowing you down bro? :laughing: Hey Grant is a hell of a welder, he may come help you if needed? :D

I've been away for several days on a much needed vacation with the wife, glad to see you've made no more progress than I have! lol WTF, family life slowing you down bro? :laughing: Hey Grant is a hell of a welder, he may come help you if needed? :D
Ended up going to the mountains this weekend to replace the HVAC unit in the in-laws mountain house! Guess you could say I went on a little "vacation" as well. Lol! I might need Grant to come finish this thing up for me.

Ended up going to the mountains this weekend to replace the HVAC unit in the in-laws mountain house! Guess you could say I went on a little "vacation" as well. Lol! I might need Grant to come finish this thing up for me.
Dude can burn some good lines! :smokin: Glad to hear it man!

Updates!

You got less than a week before Harlan fool

Maiden voyage went good for ole Danny boy. I'll let him post up for his more detailed feedback on drivability, but let me be the first to say duder did a great job and this buggy worked great this past weekend!

1627399186159.png

1627398926988.png

1627398947280.png

1627398985218.png

1627399026144.png

1627399049059.png

1627399092036.png

1627399129699.png

1627399157446.png

I’ve been busting it to finish up. Due to that there was no time for pictures or post. 7 days a week working after work and weekends as hard and fast as I could, while still doing my best to pay attention to the details and get everything right on this new buggy.

It finally came fully together the morning of our trip for Harlan last Thursday. I had rode for about an hour the previous day to troubleshoot a few small things, but Harlan was the shakedown run! I guess I trust my engineering ability to drive 5.5 hours for shake down.

Oh yeah I had barely any brakes, but hey low gears right?

Thursday night when we arrived the CORE crew was ready to drink some beverages and fix my junk (brakes) in the parking lot as usual. Yep, I’m the guy who shows up with no tools and in need of parking lot repairs. With the vast wheeling knowledge at that camp fire we were able to determine that my issues with bleeding the brakes come from A. The front calipers being on the wrong sides causing the bleeder screws to be on the bottom which didn’t allow the air to come out. Solution: switch the calipers and re-bleed. B. The rears were meant to be mounted on the rear of the axle and I mounted them on top of the axle. This caused the bleeder to be down as well. Solution: take of calipers, use makeshift spacers to bleed them the correct direction.

Friday was the first day of wheeling and there were no issues until just after lunch. My only half ass fix failed. In an effort to save some dough I bough an orbital through a company in Poland. The orbital works fine but uses 1/2” BSP fittings which uses dowty seal washers. I didn’t realize this until a couple days before the trip. I was told that Orings MIGHT get me by. They lasted half of a day. Luckily some folks were camping at the top of Rail Trail. I was waiting at the top with my weeping orbital. These folks were probably some of the coolest people and gave me every tool and part they could find. The best solution ended up being about 15 wraps of Teflon tape around the fittings and screwing the metal surfaces together as tight as possible. This got me through the rest of the weekend without a drop.

Many trails were ran: Lions Den, Mason Jar, All the rock gardens, etc. . And the rig was really tested out. I am blown away with how well it works with these bald Tars. It took a beat down on valve stem and didn’t come close to overheating. There’s a few things to improve on that I’ll list later. But overall I am thrilled with the new rig.

@rcalexander105 with the pics! Thank you sir.

You were spanking it pretty hard on valve stem.
Yeah I really need to get a rev limiter before she goes kaboom. God only knows what RPMs it was hitting in those 2nd gear clutch dumps. Tachs are lame.

Build thread update.

Haven’t done a thing.

But I wanna go wheeling soon, so I probably should.

Finally got moving on some much needed work. I will no longer be conquering the impossible on skill alone. A few months back, I broke down and bought some new wheels and tires.

2867346D-51ED-4E59-A311-96D5A6AAD497.jpeg

CBE0571E-741D-4452-803E-77BF945A3732.jpeg

Per usual with anything I do, It was not as simple as installing the combo on the axles. The front studs were too short, the rear hub OD was too big, and the 5/8” studs I installed in the rear caused all kinds of issues…

The stud length was fine in the rear, but no one makes lug nuts for aluminum wheels in 5/8-11. Since the lugs required me to drill the hubs, I was unable to go back to an m14 lug (that supports Al wheels). Luckily I have a full machine shop at my disposal and made my own 4140 lug nuts and had them chromed. I also pulled the rear hubs and turned the wheel hub surface to fit the new wheels.

Overall I’m pumped to see how these new sticky mickeys work. I haven’t actually met anyone who has ran these tires yet. They feel way softer than the bald magic MTRs. We shall see.

Onto making radiator hard lines.

RIP magic slickies. I volunteer as tribute if they need a retirement home. No reason other than they would be a good story on the shelf in the shop.
They’re only getting a short break, I think I’ve got a buddy who’s gonna run them as starter tires on a buggy he’s planning up…

Cannot wait to see this thing work at the ranch :rockon:

I haven’t actually met anyone who has ran these tires yet.
I looked at these tires heavily for a while but was hesitant for this exact reason. Nearly zero feedback from anyone who wasn't sponsored. I got to feel a set a while back and it kinda took any worry away. They feel very sticky.

Back