Tire Installation

hempinfool

I have a bent rim and am now looking for a shop that can remove my 41.5" tires and reinstall them on some new wheels.
I live in Pittsboro so hopefully, it is a place reasonably close but beggars can't be choosy.
Thanks in advance for any input.

Kevin

Most tires that big have to be done by hand. It’s not too awful hard to do with some large tire spoons. Maybe someone on here near you can give you a hand?

Most tires that big have to be done by hand. It’s not too awful hard to do with some large tire spoons. Maybe someone on here near you can give you a hand?

I’ve seen a video of someone literally throwing a tire that big on a soaped up wheel and it slipped on. Each tire should take 10-15 minutes depending how tough the rubber is. I felt bad having a shop put on 37s. At least a two man job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve seen a video of someone literally throwing a tire that big on a soaped up wheel and it slipped on. Each tire should take 10-15 minutes depending how tough the rubber is. I felt bad having a shop put on 37s. At least a two man job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve seen that done too, but the other way around. Seen a dude lay the tire down, get it all soaped up and literally sling the wheel into the tire. Then just pull the top bead up with tire spoons.

Man that dude is rich!! He balanced his last set with $100 bills!! Change a tire lol that is for the peasants!!!

I have seen them done at residences also.
I bought the old rims used and they have a few spoon marks on them from previous encounters.
This is my daily driver and new wheels to boot, so I'd really prefer not to use a novice.
Now, if someone can do it and not tear them up, I'm all for it.
This could disqualify Infamous1 depending on what he was drinking......

Where did you take that picture on you tag?
Look like the same place as mine.
IMG_0456.PNG

Where did you take that picture on you tag?
Look like the same place as mine.View attachment 296783

Mine is from what is now the “new ledge” before the hill climb on Dutch John. That was after a lot of rain, and it was a 5 minute beat down of 2nd gear rev limiter action. Almost made it, but finally pulled some cable to move on.
Same ledge when it’s dry it pretty uneventful and quite easy.

Seen a dude lay the tire down, get it all soaped up and literally sling the wheel into the tire.

The first bead is easy. You don't even have to lube it up. It's the second one that takes a bit of work. It's all because of the shape of the wheel.

Breaking beads by hand can be a pain. I usually just use a high lift.

Sounds like there’s a more local shop for you, but I use Galloway’s (love them or hate them). I have acquired a full set of 39.5” Boggers now that have a nice 3-4” V shaped punctures in the side walls...2 self inflicted, 2 from local tire shops...but they do make handy engine/trans cradles.

Tell them NC4x4 sent you. Chapel Hill Tire is a Vendor here. :beer:

Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one who reads stuff.
Jamie
Can your guys remove my 41" tires and reinstall them on different rims? I know that some shops will not touch larger tires.
Thanks

Kevin
Sorry, our machine stops at 38.
Also, sometimes I feel like sales and service don't really work at the same company.
All joking aside take it to Chapel Hill Tire at Cole Park, Tim can do it. Thats where I mounted my 43s.

Probably. @Ron and I had this same conversation a week or so ago. He says "it's posted in a THREAD on YOUR website". Truth is, I don't have the free time to read much of anything on here. I mostly just shitpost while waiting for meetings to start.

Also, sometimes I feel like sales and service don't really work at the same company.

Sometimes other people read stuff too but worked there for 6.5 years and have friends that work there.

Sounds like there’s a more local shop for you, but I use Galloway’s (love them or hate them). I have acquired a full set of 39.5” Boggers now that have a nice 3-4” V shaped punctures in the side walls...2 self inflicted, 2 from local tire shops...but they do make handy engine/trans cradles.

I heard they are out of business. Their website looks like it stopped updating about 2016

I guess whether they can or can't is irrevelant....they won't make an appointment to do it.
I'm hoping 4Wheel Tire in Raleigh will swap tires with wheels that weren't purchased on site.
I would have purchased the wheels there but they didn't have that model and the next one up was $60 more per wheel.

Back