TJ 7" 7-8" Rear Stretch - Which Method & Budgeting...

Airdoc

TJ 7-8" Rear Stretch - Which Method & Budgeting...

Well...as I have still done nothing to my Jeep TJ other than buy stuff.....I just bought a Gen-Rite COMP 7-8" Stretch Gas Tank/Skid.

Curious as to some feedback of different methods I'm seeing about stretching and the Pro's/Cons - especially since I will have to find someone to do the axle/susp work.

1st - 4 Link Rear Stretch with Coilover Shocks (Frame notched for coilover)

2nd - 4 Link Rear Stretch with Separate Shock and OE Style Spring (Frame is notched for shock, separate frame mod for upper spring perch)

3rd - 4 Link Rear Stretch - chop rear of frame off - (rebuild/extend with new box frame, new upper spring perch for OE style spring and new shock mounts)

4th - Get rid of coils - do Leaf Spring Rear Stretch with new shock mounts.

I have 3" Lift Coil Springs to reuse or not - an 8.8 that can be reused or hunt something better to match with 4.56 gears for matching 4.56 geared D30 Front.

Ohh yeah....35" Tires...with future of 37" max.

Curious who locally has some experience etc....

Pros/Cons - what to expect budget wise for some of this.

Thanks in advance!!!!

What kind of budget do you have? There's a huge difference between using leaf springs and links/coilovers. More than a $2000 difference... If you've got the money, do it right the first time. It would be pretty dumb to go from coils to leaves though.

What kind of budget do you have? There's a huge difference between using leaf springs and links/coilovers. More than a $2000 difference... If you've got the money, do it right the first time. It would be pretty dumb to go from coils to leaves though.

Hehe.....this is the magic question......the answer......

This a project vehicle with no allocated budget...so.....I have to save, clean out my pockets......accumulate moneys for any/all upgrades.

This is why I'm trying to figure out the costing first....so I can have a target...but more than just costing....a little about the Pro's/Con's of each on the road, on the trail etc..

The easiest thing to do if you have the money is option 1, put coil overs under it. This is one that we did earlier this year and running a 37" tire shouldn't be a problem for you. This jeep had the same Genright tank and would be darn near identical for you suspension wise. Of course we can build one of these kits cheaper than anyone around due to our Fox and Ballistic deals that we offer.
IMG00195.jpg

IMG00162.jpg

IMG00170.jpg

Alex - that's one sweet rig......man if money were no object I'd be there...but I gotta learn more about the differences..and the $$$....

http://www.4x4grace.com/vBulletin/showthread.php?t=4736 Frame notching on the first page, first trip pictures on the later ones.

There's my build thread. I don't have any complaints at the moment. I've only been on roughly two trail rides with it so far, working out other small bugs, but the suspension has worked very well. Wheel base is at 103.5 (I stretched the front about 2-3" too)

PM me if you have any specific questions. I'd be glad to help.

http://www.4x4grace.com/vBulletin/showthread.php?t=4736 Frame notching on the first page, first trip pictures on the later ones.

There's my build thread. I don't have any complaints at the moment. I've only been on roughly two trail rides with it so far, working out other small bugs, but the suspension has worked very well. Wheel base is at 103.5 (I stretched the front about 2-3" too)

PM me if you have any specific questions. I'd be glad to help.

That is a very nice TJ Build...congrats!! I'll PM you...definitely have some questions.

Thanks!!!

Thanks to everyone that PM'd, spent time with me in person, on the phone etc..etc...

This stretch thing is gonna be a FUTURE project, but at least now I know a TON more thanks to the NC4x4 Vendors & Members.

Thanks again!!

Back