TJ Rock sliders?

jds97Wrangler

I want to get a set rock sliders for my TJ I found that I like the looks of style in the picture below. I like the fact they have the tube that can used as step when getting in out of the jeep. My concern I have is drilling holes in my body it makes me wonder if I’m just making a place for rust to start.

My question is has any one ran this style slider? If you have, did they hold up well and what steps did you take when mounting them to prevent rust from forming between the skid and your body.

One idea I was thinking of was using gasket maker and run a bead around the outside edge to prevent water and dirt from getting between the skid and body.

ai357.photobucket.com_albums_oo11_jdurant75_Sliders.jpg

I run them. All I did was paint the bare metal that was exposed from drilling the holes. I pulled mine off a few months ago after 2 years to check and there was no rust whatsoever.

I know this question has the potential to set off another firestorm like the RC debate I was in last week but oh well.

I see a lot links to the Smittybuilt XRC slider; before we even get started yes I have heard the nick name Shittybuilt. But from what I read about the XRC slider is it is 3/16 plate steel just as most all sliders like these are and the Tubing is 2" (mild steal I am sure). I know ideally the slide tubes should be chromoly but I don't want to spend $3-500 for a set of sliders.

I guess my question is has any purchased the XRC sliders and what’s your opinion of them. Please Smittybuilt haters refrain from painting a broad brush of how crappy they are I am only asking about this one product and if anyone has direct knowledge of them.

I have the Rokmen sliders that look very similiar to the ones you posted. They offer a gasket. I have not had any problems. It's only been a year and I haven't taken them off so my Jeep could be about to break in half though...........:lol:

I have the Rokmen sliders that look very similiar to the ones you posted. They offer a gasket. I have not had any problems. It's only been a year and I haven't taken them off so my Jeep could be about to break in half though...........:lol:

Thats what I am finding is there is about 30 different fabricators who make a variation of this type of slider. They are all pretty much the same concept and design but the price ranges from $200 to well over $600.

I know this question has the potential to set off another firestorm like the RC debate I was in last week but oh well.
I see a lot links to the Smittybuilt XRC slider; before we even get started yes I have heard the nick name Shittybuilt. But from what I read about the XRC slider is it is 3/16 plate steel just as most all sliders like these are and the Tubing is 2" (mild steal I am sure). I know ideally the slide tubes should be chromoly but I don't want to spend $3-500 for a set of sliders.
I guess my question is has any purchased the XRC sliders and what’s your opinion of them. Please Smittybuilt haters refrain from painting a broad brush of how crappy they are I am only asking about this one product and if anyone has direct knowledge of them.

I've got the smittybilts. This is my 2 cents on them. The sliders themselves are fine; I've banged, scraped and bashed them on many a rock and they're doing their job. The powder coating however, is complete and total garbage.:poop: The reason I had to remove mine was because the sliders were rusting under the powdercoating and it was flaking off. This started within 6 months. To save yourself from that, if you go that route, the first thing I would do would be to grind all of their crappy powdercoating off and paint them yourself, BEFORE installation...I wish I had done that the first time. Of course after going through all of that work, their cheap price may not be worth it.

These don't have a step but I can attest they provide excellent protection. I've beat on mine for a decade and with a little touch up paint look as good as the day installed.
awww.4x4xplor.com_images_sun_sun02.jpg

I've got the smittybilts. This is my 2 cents on them. The sliders themselves are fine; I've banged, scraped and bashed them on many a rock and they're doing their job. The powder coating however, is complete and total garbage.:poop: The reason I had to remove mine was because the sliders were rusting under the powdercoating and it was flaking off. This started within 6 months. To save yourself from that, if you go that route, the first thing I would do would be to grind all of their crappy powdercoating off and paint them yourself, BEFORE installation...I wish I had done that the first time. Of course after going through all of that work, their cheap price may not be worth it.

That is something that concerns me; I have seen other post about the XRC powder coat falling off. All the sliders from custom fabricators I can order in bare metal then powder coat myself. That may be a better option even if it cost a $100 more.

The problem I am finding is I can find custom made sliders at reasonable price but then the shipping tacks another $50-100 on. The XRC's come with free shipping.

sliders

i made a set out of 3/16 plate that looks identical to warns ,8 holes in each side now i cleaned themetalwell used clear silicone down the slider and around the bolt holes and then siliconed around the bolt on the underside before putting the washers and nuts on ,beceause if you dont with the tub flex they will chirp or squel,costmeabout 45$for everything they work great

my concern with that style of slider was if you put enough weight on the slider wont the plate bend the body? i just welded the smittybuilt ones to my frame and called it a day! for $180 ya cant go wrong and if you don't like em well you don't have THAT much money in a set of sliders

Just my .02 cents on the trail gear stuff.

I've got the trail gear bumpers front and rear, decent stuff for the price.

However the powdercoat problems that plague the smittybuilt's also plague these. My bumpers are about 6 months old. My front bumper is already dull and faded. My Jeep also sits inside the garage so it's not like it sat outside in the sun 24/7.

Back