To buy or to build...

Even if you buy...you will enjoy it for awhile, then you will wish that things had been done differently, and you will start cussing the PO....

Build it how you want it, then rebuild it how you want it, then rebuild it....ahh, the fun of wheel'n :D

It's not what you build it's how you build it. Like was said you'll cuss the PO and start eventually changing things. Why not cut the cost in half and just build what you want the first time around

Defnitly Build. You dont wanna be trying to fix all the crap the previouse owner broke, or almost broke. Pluss when your rig totally kicks ass you get to take credit for it.

Build it. Then,,,...... you know how it was built, how to fix it, and don't look like an idiot on the trail when something fails. Plus it's a little at a time money wise, kinda like monthly payments.

im the odd man out, but if you wanna just get in the woods, and have a good time, aren't a huge fabricator, or maybe kinda lazy then I would just buy something and have a good time, because building can take a while, and gets $$$$ but you can buy something for half of what you'd put in if not less and be in the woods soon... Depends on what you want, me im a builder, but Ive learned to have a rig while building the next so I can wheel when I wanna....

....buy it (maybe not that particular one you linked to)...then spend a year fixing all the crap the previous owner did wrong...but chances are you will STILL be under the $ it would have taken to build it....(ask me how I know...heh!)

and yeah...there are gonna be a ton of things wrong...unless you buy a $20-30k buggy from one of the pros...

A year and a half later....I have to admit I think every once in a while about selling mine and then building one from scratch...prob wont happen for a couple years but that is my long term goal.

Sam

You want to buy one, ill sell you mine....its local.

What the bolt-on fabricators here dont understand in building it yourself....Shit dont happen overnight the right way. Planning, materials, expenses, waiting on shipping, the uh oh I forgot this $$$ all take time. You work an 8~5 day job, realisticly youll get to work on the thing maybe a few hours 2~3 days a week and then you have to put up with the other-half barking in your ear so you quit early. Then maybe a full day on the weekend.

My advise, you want to wheel something w/o bustin your hump...buy one. You even look around you may find one for less than you could build it. If youve got the tools, fab skills, and patience to wait build it your way.

StudNuts said:
My advise, you want to wheel something w/o bustin your hump...buy one. You even look around you may find one for less than you could build it. If youve got the tools, fab skills, and patience to wait build it your way.

OR...you get to know someone, their style, and their rig.... see if you can wheel with them, watch what they break/fix and what LOOKS like it may be problematic......

SHINTON said:
....I have to admit I think every once in a while about selling mine and then building one from scratch...prob wont happen for a couple years but that is my long term goal.

And then wait till they sell it :D

pros/cons to each, ill add there is a 3rd inbetween group

buy - take what you get, hard to mod major items with out a total redo)
bolton - little no down time, you still control the upgrades and determin the mods. But your limited to what probucts are avaliable. (think TJs) <---- Not bashing this eather tons of great products out there..
build - you fab everythign have 100% control on the mods but takes longer can be more $ or can be a lot cheeper depending on your skillz and access to parts..

I would say buying a slightly built rig is just fine... No harm in buying a rig with lockers, gears, and a little lift right out of the box...

But if you jump right in the deep end not having owned/driven a vehicle that extensive before, I don't think you'll be as good a driver as someone who has worked their way up...

Kinda like the guys who run out and get a full on racebike-with-lights as their first bike, and get schooled by someone on a lesser machine who's learned on smaller bikes.

Rich said:
Kinda like the guys who run out and get a full on racebike-with-lights as their first bike, and get schooled by someone on a lesser machine who's learned on smaller bikes.

What? a Busa can't be used to get your permit? :D

Back