Tossing around the idea of a sxs.

Why couldn't you work on a Yamaha Rhino?
I could do maintenance and small stuff but no experience in those 660 motors. I did change a leaking rear shaft seal on it. First I had to remove half the machine....I think that killed it for me.

Had a Yamaha Rhino but didn't like that much cash in a toy that I couldn't work on. Here's my solution. I drive it like I paid $800.

My wife has been saying that I should buy a utility style SxS. I'm too cheap to pay what they cost though. I would rather buy a beater Track/Kick and maybe fab a dump bed on it. Cheap ones don't seem to exist anymore when I look on CL.

My wife has been saying that I should buy a utility style SxS. I'm too cheap to pay what they cost though. I would rather buy a beater Track/Kick and maybe fab a dump bed on it. Cheap ones don't seem to exist anymore when I look on CL.
i have been looking for a while, and the cheap ones dont come around often.... but I am looking for a 96-98 specifically. But even the earlier ones arent so common for cheap, unless you want to drive to KY, OH, WV, etc.

i have been looking for a while, and the cheap ones dont come around often.... but I am looking for a 96-98 specifically. But even the earlier ones arent so common for cheap, unless you want to drive to KY, OH, WV, etc.
What is it about the 96-98 models that you are looking for? You are more knowledgeable about them than I am.

If I bought one, I would at least want the 1.6 16v motor.

95+ was the 16v, but you could get an 8v in 95. 98 sport you could get the 1st gen with 1.8l in it. The newer ones had the 2.0l or v6, but i dont like the looks of them as much. Wouldnt pass one over for a good price though. 1st gen 2drs have a 5spd or 3spd auto (th180) and 4drs have 5spd or 4spd auto. 2nd gen were 5spd or 4sp AT. I dont recall the details of the axle ratios, but they were dependent on the engine and trans options, ranging from 4.88-5.13 mostly.

an x90 would be a good starting point for a UTV. It has the truck cab already, with a trunk that could easily become a bed.

I had an 8v and 2.0l that both ended up getting scrapped some time ago... with the current prices I am regretting it.

Last edited:
I think the newer generation 99+ have rack and pinion steering too. I don't know how they hold up to offroad abuse.

1.8L engine is sort of similar somehow to the 2.0 correct?

I think the newer generation 99+ have rack and pinion steering too. I don't know how they hold up to offroad abuse.

1.8L engine is sort of similar somehow to the 2.0 correct?
yeah, 2nd gen has a rack vs box. the front diff in the later ones uses a disconnect in the diff, which makes lockers harder. 1.8l and 2.0l are basically the same engine from my understanding, other than displacement. The 2.0l i had was pretty quick, but had a ton of miles and was a complete POS and wiring hack job. Id love to find another or 2.3l swapped one.

I'm just surprised at how a roughly 25 yr old vehicle model has almost completely disappeared. I randomly check CL for them from time to time, and don't see any.

I'm just surprised at how a roughly 25 yr old vehicle model has almost completely disappeared. I randomly check CL for them from time to time, and don't see any.
I dont think they were that popular as they seem to have been around other parts of the country. Over the years I recall seeing them on the road, and still see a few, but not like many other makes.

For working around the property, even golf carts are $$$ but easier to find.

Back