Tossing around the idea of a sxs.

Jman78CJ7

So have been against spending the money since couldn’t drive it down the road. Well now that that has changed I’m tossing around the idea of picking one up.

In the used market what is a lot of miles/ hours?
No brand loyalty, open to anything. Primarily ride around the house and get out on the roads some. We live in a very rural area and have places on our property to ride. What could be a decent option under 15k? Or is it similar to a trailer, for just a little bit more pick up something new?
Any opinions are appreciated.

Used vs new, in todays market I would honestly just buy one new. There isn’t much savings on a used machine right now like anything else for that matter. Plus, the way these things get used, unless you know the seller, chances are it has been a mud missile and/or poorly maintained. Savings isn’t worth the risk right now unless the right deal comes along.

In the 15k range I personally love our Yamaha Wolverine 850 RSpec. It was a bit cheaper two years ago when we got it, but they still sell around that 15-16k mark. Good power and handling, not a super wide boat like some machines. It is absurdly capable for what it is. Rear diff is a spool and the front is an ELocker so it will climb just about anything it needs to be on. The RSpec runs better KYB reservoir shocks and they make a difference vs the base model closed cartridge shocks. Runs 45 down the road comfortably, can run 55+ since I put a DynoJet tuner on it, but that was mainly to get the fans to run at lower temps when doing slow speed stuff like spraying roundup or pulling the hay rake. I’ll talk it up all day. It’s probably the best sport/utility machine on the market that I’ve run.

I also have a friends Polaris Ranger 1000 Northstar right now and have been using it a lot. It has more power but the transmission isn’t as refined. Ride isn’t as good as the Yamaha either. But it has a cab with heat and AC so that’s pretty cool. If I wanted a strictly work machine, I wouldn’t hesitate to get one. It has spent its life on pipeline right of ways as the owner and its previous owner are CWI’s and it’s been flawless with a couple thousand miles on it.

Based on your location, you’re not far from Catfish pond in Martinsville or Red Oak and Pine Lane near Danville. All are pretty fun for a day trip in the woods with a SxS.

Used vs new, in todays market I would honestly just buy one new. There isn’t much savings on a used machine right now like anything else for that matter. Plus, the way these things get used, unless you know the seller, chances are it has been a mud missile and/or poorly maintained. Savings isn’t worth the risk right now unless the right deal comes along.

In the 15k range I personally love our Yamaha Wolverine 850 RSpec. It was a bit cheaper two years ago when we got it, but they still sell around that 15-16k mark. Good power and handling, not a super wide boat like some machines. It is absurdly capable for what it is. Rear diff is a spool and the front is an ELocker so it will climb just about anything it needs to be on. The RSpec runs better KYB reservoir shocks and they make a difference vs the base model closed cartridge shocks. Runs 45 down the road comfortably, can run 55+ since I put a DynoJet tuner on it, but that was mainly to get the fans to run at lower temps when doing slow speed stuff like spraying roundup or pulling the hay rake. I’ll talk it up all day. It’s probably the best sport/utility machine on the market that I’ve run.

I also have a friends Polaris Ranger 1000 Northstar right now and have been using it a lot. It has more power but the transmission isn’t as refined. Ride isn’t as good as the Yamaha either. But it has a cab with heat and AC so that’s pretty cool. If I wanted a strictly work machine, I wouldn’t hesitate to get one. It has spent its life on pipeline right of ways as the owner and its previous owner are CWI’s and it’s been flawless with a couple thousand miles on it.

Based on your location, you’re not far from Catfish pond in Martinsville or Red Oak and Pine Lane near Danville. All are pretty fun for a day trip in the woods with a SxS.
I'm a big yamaha fan but it seems if I want something with 3 wide front seating and a little bit of offroad performance I'm stuck with a ranger xp 1000 trail boss. Am I missing any offerings from the others?

I'm a big yamaha fan but it seems if I want something with 3 wide front seating and a little bit of offroad performance I'm stuck with a ranger xp 1000 trail boss. Am I missing any offerings from the others?

Check out the Honda Pioneer 1000 as well. It’s a 3 seater in the front and the deluxe or whatever the higher trim level is now comes with a shock upgrade. I think Fox’s but it’s been a while since I looked. The DCT trans got a bad rap at first but it’s mainly from mud riders who would run it in too high of a gear and smoke the clutches.

Other than that. The Can Am defender doesn’t have much of a performance model other than the XMR which is tailored to mud.

If Yamaha would make a Viking in an 850 or 1000 with some decent shocks I would probably sell my Wolverine X2 before it’s released.

Don't buy one. Just buy a $5k vehicle every few years or something. I sold mine because I broke it every single time I took it out of the shed. Did I drive it like I stole it? Yes. Did it see more air time than a 747? Yes.

Having said all of that, it can be fun, but nothing parts-wise is any cheaper than what you'd have to buy for a used Jeep or Samurai.

I had a Pioneer 1000-5 for 5 years. I never did anything to it repair wise and it was on 30" tires for its whole life. I sold it because of the extremely high market and I was wanting to upgrade to a different machine anyways. It was a solid work/trail machine. Had more than enough power for work and decent power for trails. We are going to ride WV more becuase my dad bought himself a Polaris General and I now have a 22 Polaris General 4 on order. Keep in mind there arent nearly as many options for accessories for the honda as the polaris. The factory fit/finish and accessory fit/finish on the polaris machines has been worlds better than I was able to get out of my pioneer accessories.

Me and my wife and my kid.
To be honest...You need to ride in her lap to reach the steering wheel while she operates the pedals, soo.......

Yamaha has their fairly new RMax 1000. You can get a two seater or 4 seater version. The XTR model is my favorite and the Fox coilovers ride amazingly!

Polaris has a totally redesigned RZR Pro R in varying models. Sumbitch has a 2.0 liter motor that makes 225hp and 152 tq.

Both are awesome, but neither are 15k or less. They're barely less than 30k! Well, actually, even the base model Pro R isn't less than 30k.

For a fairly cheap one, I'd probably snag a Yamaha Rhino. You can pick those up for less than 10k...or at least you use'ta could.

Who wants to ride 3 wide? That has to be uncomfortable for everyone.
For us, it was more of a *comfortable* upright seating position *AND* the ability to fit 3 if needed (not a regular thing) or the dogs (old girl can't get in the back)
For a fairly cheap one, I'd probably snag a Yamaha Rhino. You can pick those up for less than 10k...or at least you use'ta could.
Exactly what we got! A few years old, less than 100 hours, immaculate, records... for well under $10k (during dem-panic)
The *ONLY* gotcha's were the spare key was AWOL and it was 3 hours away.

Only mods (to date) were to remove the doors, add backup lights ($10 Yamaha pigtail + Amazon LEDs), and HF winch... but *definitely* needs additional front lighting :D and debating a snowplow
20200713_185848.jpg

Damn, I'm good :D Probably gave what...5? 6k? The prices and availability of the newer and larger displacement ones have really driven down the price of the rhinos. They're still good rigs! I know plenty of people still riding them. They're likely a lot lighter than some of these massive displacement ones they have today. Slap it in low range, hit the front diff lock button, and you can definitely go places.

660/carb or 700/fuel injection? After having an '08 Grizzly 700 with fuel injection, I'd be hard pressed to own another fourwheeler or side by side without it. MAN, is it nice when it snows or throws down some ice and you want to go cut some shitties. You don't have to play with the choke for 20 minutes trying to get it to run long enough to get some heat in it so you can take off! Plus, plug-in tuners are way cooler than needles and jets. Not to mention no more floats to worry about or bowls getting buildup in them from gas or the famous Yamaha aluminum/epoxy "intake manifold" coming apart...or fouling spark plugs. In case you didn't pick up on it...I like fuel injection :D That said though, I'd very likely still rock a 660 rhino with a carb.

I like Yamahas the way I like fuel injection too! Fuel injected Yamahas are even better :D

Last edited:
Damn, I'm good :D Probably gave what...5? 6k? The prices and availability of the newer and larger displacement ones have really driven down the price of the rhinos. They're still good rigs! I know plenty of people still riding them. They're likely a lot lighter than some of these massive displacement ones they have today. Slap it in low range, hit the front diff lock button, and you can definitely go places.

660/carb or 700/fuel injection?
A little more than that, but given the dem-panic timeframe (supply & demand) and aside from 3 wheelbarrow loads of corn stalks/shucks in the belly pan (POs bird hunting venture gone south), was virginal... I'm still happy. The 700 has been fine for our NON-go faster use... fired up this weekend at 16* like it was 80*
Thank you sir... if you ever need a hand, the invite is reciprocal!
My step-son lives on 103 in Dry Pond and while it's been a while, we're fans of the veggie beef soup & grilled cheese at "Café de Claudeville"

Who wants to ride 3 wide? That has to be uncomfortable for everyone.
It's much easier than fighting a 1 year old to stay in your lap on a 4wheeler. I'm not buying one for play, it's for getting around on our farm and hopefully blowing off a little steam every now and again.

I'm not knocking SXSs at all and have had the pleasure of riding in / driving some nicely built ones from friends. I just can't get my head around $15k and up for one when you can grab a TJ and build it up. Yea I understand you can now take a SXS on the road but they are still not like an actual vehicle.

Using one for work on a farm / land I get and I've tried talking my early 70s parents into selling the 4 wheelers and getting one. But for sheer pleasure use I don't get it at the prices they command.

I'm not knocking SXSs at all and have had the pleasure of riding in / driving some nicely built ones from friends. I just can't get my head around $15k and up for one when you can grab a TJ and build it up. Yea I understand you can now take a SXS on the road but they are still not like an actual vehicle.

Using one for work on a farm / land I get and I've tried talking my early 70s parents into selling the 4 wheelers and getting one. But for sheer pleasure use I don't get it at the prices they command.

See, I have the exact opposite view.

Because I don't need a vehicle to work on a farm and I already have a vehicle to drive me around, I like an uncompromised performance for the money I'm putting down vs another car that will be limited in offroad performance because it has to be able to drive on the road.

Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Had a Yamaha Rhino but didn't like that much cash in a toy that I couldn't work on. Here's my solution. I drive it like I paid $800.

Attachments

• IMG_20220228_124849802.jpg
    IMG_20220228_124849802.jpg
    229.7 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_20220228_124832437_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220228_124832437_HDR.jpg
    310.4 KB · Views: 133
Back