Tow Rig prep: 2011 Suburban

YJKrawlin

As my Bronco gets closer to being ready, I'm trying to keep in mind getting our tow rig ready as well. It's a 2wd 2011 Suburban LT2, 5.3 (dreaded DOD) 6 speed, 168k miles. I need to go through and do the brakes on it and get a trailer brake controller to go with the trailer I'm using. Not 100% sure on the entire specs of it, but it's dual axle, electric brakes, breakaway, etc. My step-father got it with an old Ford Tractor he bought. Should be more than enough to tow the Bronco to Uwharrie until we can shell out for our own. So beyond, the obvious brakes, fluids, brake controller. What things should I be looking into on this rig? I've heard the 6 speed can have issues so I should start saving to have an upgrade built when it goes. We've had the truck for about 40k miles and just kept up with simple maintenance, don't know the service history before we got it. I'm assuming I can't go wrong with a trans filter/fluid service (Not sure a full flush would be worth the time or cause more harm than good). This will be the first time I've done any towing with my own vehicle, I've always used others rigs before that were already setup/ maintained for towing so just trying to not breakdown on the first trip out because of something preventable. DOD seems to be fouling plugs from time to time, we had a miss after we had it about a year and the DOD cylinders had oil on the spark plugs, replaced them and haven't had any issues since. Maybe if the trans goes, it will be time to replace the cam and lifters, but that is a discussion for another day. I know it sounds like some stupid questions, just trying to be prepared and not be a burden on any group i'm riding out with. I appreciate any advice.

Attachments

• IMG_4110.jpeg
    IMG_4110.jpeg
    107.4 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_4109.jpg
    IMG_4109.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 74
As my Bronco gets closer to being ready, I'm trying to keep in mind getting our tow rig ready as well. It's a 2wd 2011 Suburban LT2, 5.3 (dreaded DOD) 6 speed, 168k miles. I need to go through and do the brakes on it and get a trailer brake controller to go with the trailer I'm using. Not 100% sure on the entire specs of it, but it's dual axle, electric brakes, breakaway, etc. My step-father got it with an old Ford Tractor he bought. Should be more than enough to tow the Bronco to Uwharrie until we can shell out for our own. So beyond, the obvious brakes, fluids, brake controller. What things should I be looking into on this rig? I've heard the 6 speed can have issues so I should start saving to have an upgrade built when it goes. We've had the truck for about 40k miles and just kept up with simple maintenance, don't know the service history before we got it. I'm assuming I can't go wrong with a trans filter/fluid service (Not sure a full flush would be worth the time or cause more harm than good). This will be the first time I've done any towing with my own vehicle, I've always used others rigs before that were already setup/ maintained for towing so just trying to not breakdown on the first trip out because of something preventable. DOD seems to be fouling plugs from time to time, we had a miss after we had it about a year and the DOD cylinders had oil on the spark plugs, replaced them and haven't had any issues since. Maybe if the trans goes, it will be time to replace the cam and lifters, but that is a discussion for another day. I know it sounds like some stupid questions, just trying to be prepared and not be a burden on any group i'm riding out with. I appreciate any advice.

Trans fluid and filter change, don't flush. You can have the DOD tuned out if you're concerned about it, and a tune never hurts anyway.

Make sure you run good quality oil and change it regularly in those engines...
20221127_151522.jpg

As far as the actual towing, does it have a trans cooler? I think they have a readout for trans temp in the dic you can scroll to. Keep an eye on the temps.

I have a friend that tows with a similar tahoe and it works fine but squats it pretty good.

Trans fluid and filter, no flush. Consider an additional external trans cooler in front of radiator.

I’m pretty sure there is also something about the trans cooler bypass thermostat. None of mine are affected but I’ve read about it being an issue. Not sure if yours is one that is affected.

Make sure it has load range E tires. A bunch of these generation 1500 suburbans have non load rated tires, meaning not even C rated.

Also consider a weight distribution hitch. Depending on options, your suburban may have decently soft rear springs with air assist shocks and an air compressor in the rear to self level.

If not going with a weight distribution hitch, make sure you have a good adjustable height hitch and try to make sure you get tongue weight correct. Weight safe even has hitches now with scales in them for setting tongue weight.

When it’s time to tow, use tow haul mode, and put the shifter in manual mode. This way you can keep it out of 6th, and helps the trans from hunting. I’m regularly using 3,4,5 depending on speed and grade.

Check the brakes on the trailer and a good controller goes a long ways.

I’ve had good results out of the powerstop brake kits that use drilled and slotted rotors and ceramic pads. These don’t glaze over as fast as oem stuff, and with your mileage, can be a worthy upgrade.

I’ve had good results out of the powerstop brake kits that use drilled and slotted rotors and ceramic pads. These don’t glaze over as fast as oem stuff, and with your mileage, can be a worthy upgrade.

I don't care for the power stops. They work, but they wear fast. I put AC Delco Gold pads and Advantage rotors on the wife's XL last time and they feel as good as anything I've used.

Man if its anything like our old 2014 1500 burban Id want a set of air bags or helper springs in the rear if this is oging to be a regular tow pig. Ours squatted terribly even with a couple fat boys in the 3rd row

Thanks for the advice! I need to check the codes to see if it’s has the extra cooler or not. I’ve tried to make it a habit to keep an eye on the trans temps whenever I’m towing lumber or anything heavy on my small trailer (1500 lbs max on the small trailer) I change the oil roughly every 5-6k with Mobil one, seems to be happy with it. I’m definitely looking into adding an additional trans cooler either way. I’m not sure about the suspension. It isn’t self leveling from what I have seen walking under it. Never noticed it squatting terribly when towing the big trailer loaded with lumber but I’ve tried to keep it pretty evenly loaded. I’ll look into different style hitches, right now we’ve just been using a horrible freight adjustable drop hitch but I know that won’t hold up too long towing heavier weights. We will need some new tires soon so I’ll try to make sure we get a heavier rated tire, not 100% sure on what’s on it now. I’ve considered the helper airbags but wasn’t sure how necessary they were considering for now we are just planning on driving the 2-3 hours to uwharrie 3-4 times a year. Definitely interested in getting DOD and tuning taken care of at some point. I’ve used tow/haul mode whenever I have a load but never put it in manual as well so I’ll try to get used to that. Again I appreciate all the advice!

Thanks for the advice! I need to check the codes to see if it’s has the extra cooler or not. I’ve tried to make it a habit to keep an eye on the trans temps whenever I’m towing lumber or anything heavy on my small trailer (1500 lbs max on the small trailer) I change the oil roughly every 5-6k with Mobil one, seems to be happy with it. I’m definitely looking into adding an additional trans cooler either way. I’m not sure about the suspension. It isn’t self leveling from what I have seen walking under it. Never noticed it squatting terribly when towing the big trailer loaded with lumber but I’ve tried to keep it pretty evenly loaded. I’ll look into different style hitches, right now we’ve just been using a horrible freight adjustable drop hitch but I know that won’t hold up too long towing heavier weights. We will need some new tires soon so I’ll try to make sure we get a heavier rated tire, not 100% sure on what’s on it now. I’ve considered the helper airbags but wasn’t sure how necessary they were considering for now we are just planning on driving the 2-3 hours to uwharrie 3-4 times a year. Definitely interested in getting DOD and tuning taken care of at some point. I’ve used tow/haul mode whenever I have a load but never put it in manual as well so I’ll try to get used to that. Again I appreciate all the advice!

If you have it tuned, they can program different settings for tow/haul. Meaning you can have a more economical tune normally and a "tow tune" when you push the button.

I towed a tandem axle trailer the other day with about 4k pounds on it behind my 3rd gen 4runner with out trailer brakes, because it won't plug into my 4pin on the 4runner. It did just fine on the 600 mile round trip. I'd like to think your suburban would be plenty capable in stock form to handle an off-road rig on a trailer.

First trip towing the Bronco to Uwharrie will be the end of may. Towed the trailer with the suburban (empty) the other day for 2 hours back to my step dad so he could use it for a few weeks. Truck towed fine. Highest I saw the trans get was 180. (Engine usually hovers around 205-210, I think expected temp can be up to 220 for the trans when towing?) Planning to do a fluid/filter change after the May trip and add a cooler in at that time, just not going to find the time to do it before then. I was planning to run on the tires we have for 1 trip and change them when I got back, but on closer look, they were all in rough shape. So we are getting new tires this month (part of the reason the trans service got bumped down the list). Debating between 265/60/20 Milestar Patagonia X/T load range E tires($1200), or 265/60/20 Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLT Load Range E tires ($1600). Leaning toward the Milestars because they are about $400 cheaper for the set with pretty good reviews. That will open up some money to get the brakes done on the suburban before the trip as well. Have a friend who might have a trailer brake controller I can have for the suburban. Waiting to see that before I decide if i'm ordering one or now. Looking at the Tekonsha P2, as i'm familiar with it. Also ordering a better drop hitch than my HF one soon. Trying to get all of this buttoned up this month as well as getting the brakes on the bronco together. Going to be a crunch but trying to take my time and make sure i'm not missing anything. Since we won't have the transmission service done before the trip. Planning to take the scenic route to Uwharrie to keep things slower and have plenty of opportunities to pull over is something seems off.

Got a tekonsha voyager brake controller from a club member. Not my first choice but can’t beat the price of free. I may upgrade it at a later point. I like the tekonsha p2 personally. One step complete. Ordered a higher rated drop hitch today as well. Last things left before the trip will be tires and brakes. Coming along though. Still looking into trans cooler options and options regarding the transmission thermostat.

Attachments

• 2FFCD708-053D-4419-BCFA-8F149B752C92.jpeg
    2FFCD708-053D-4419-BCFA-8F149B752C92.jpeg
    204.8 KB · Views: 64
  • BF042F40-2536-442B-9EE3-B59171F90FD0.jpeg
    BF042F40-2536-442B-9EE3-B59171F90FD0.jpeg
    209.8 KB · Views: 65
Got the brakes changed this week, they were bad! I had looked at them last oil change and figured they could hold up for another 5k miles or so. I didn't realize what the OEM thickness was though. The rears were almost at bare metal and the fronts were close but wearing unevenly. Replaced the Pads with some Parts store Ceramics and new rotors as well. Bedded them and now it stops plenty aggressive and no longer has the surge while braking due to the warp/runout on the rotors. Tires are ordered for the first week in may, getting an alignment the following week. Coming along slowly.

Attachments

• 85BEF26A-D4B8-48FB-86AD-CBE4C23C340D.jpeg
    85BEF26A-D4B8-48FB-86AD-CBE4C23C340D.jpeg
    199.9 KB · Views: 73
Well it's time for the suburban to prove itself. My step-father brought the trailer down yesterday and I got the bronco loaded up for this weekends trip to uwharrie. Not an expert at loading for weight distribution so I just loaded the bronco until the front of the trailer dropped 2-3 inches from resting height. Pulled it around locally and had no trailer brakes. But the suburban seemed to tow it fine, considering the slowing down for rural roads, stop and go traffic in town and hilly terrain. Trans got to about 196 at the highest but tried to stay around the 186-188 range. Considering the engine runs at 210-215 and there isn't currently an extra cooler I don't think this will be an issue. I will probably end up going for a cruise on the highway at 60-65 tomorrow and see how it does to make the determination of which route to uwharrie I will take. Suburban stopped the trailer easily without the trailer brakes. Got home and found a missing ground and a bad power wire for the brakes. Fixed that, replaced a loose 7-pin connector and took it for another spin. Brakes worked great, too great. Had the trailer controller set aggressively when I was trouble shooting the brake issues and the hubs got a bit hot. Not impossible to touch hot, but uncomfortable hot. Going to turn the gain down and see how they feel tomorrow. A trans cooler and service is in the books for after we get back from Uwharrie.

Attachments

• 348641509_1320544545196955_2982074628178730146_n.jpg
    348641509_1320544545196955_2982074628178730146_n.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 62
Well it's time for the suburban to prove itself. My step-father brought the trailer down yesterday and I got the bronco loaded up for this weekends trip to uwharrie. Not an expert at loading for weight distribution so I just loaded the bronco until the front of the trailer dropped 2-3 inches from resting height. Pulled it around locally and had no trailer brakes. But the suburban seemed to tow it fine, considering the slowing down for rural roads, stop and go traffic in town and hilly terrain. Trans got to about 196 at the highest but tried to stay around the 186-188 range. Considering the engine runs at 210-215 and there isn't currently an extra cooler I don't think this will be an issue. I will probably end up going for a cruise on the highway at 60-65 tomorrow and see how it does to make the determination of which route to uwharrie I will take. Suburban stopped the trailer easily without the trailer brakes. Got home and found a missing ground and a bad power wire for the brakes. Fixed that, replaced a loose 7-pin connector and took it for another spin. Brakes worked great, too great. Had the trailer controller set aggressively when I was trouble shooting the brake issues and the hubs got a bit hot. Not impossible to touch hot, but uncomfortable hot. Going to turn the gain down and see how they feel tomorrow. A trans cooler and service is in the books for after we get back from Uwharrie.
Quick tip for setting the gain is to put the whole rig on a flat gravel road and accelerate to 15 mph, reach done and squeeze the controller override together and it should bring your rig to a stop “pretty” easily with out dragging any trailer tires or forcing you into the seatbelt from braking force. Adjust the gain accordingly to accomplish this scenario and boom, trailer brakes are set. (Of course someone will be along to tell me I’m gonna kill bus loads of nuns coming from a kitten rescue) but, it has always worked well for me.

Quick tip for setting the gain is to put the whole rig on a flat gravel road and accelerate to 15 mph, reach done and squeeze the controller override together and it should bring your rig to a stop “pretty” easily with out dragging any trailer tires or forcing you into the seatbelt from braking force. Adjust the gain accordingly to accomplish this scenario and boom, trailer brakes are set. (Of course someone will be along to tell me I’m gonna kill bus loads of nuns coming from a kitten rescue) but, it has always worked well for me.
Oh yeah, I definitely had the brakes set to high then at first. I did this on an asphault road and you could feel the trailer pulling the truck back at first until I backed it off. I think I have a small gravel road near the house I will try that on.

Truck seemed to tow great. Temps tended to stay around 185 on the way out to uwharrie and back unless I was slowing down for a stop or turn. Taking the exit to 1 traffic was backed up and I saw 206 for a minute. As soon as I started moving it immediately dropped back to 195 and continued to drop until it evened out. Put it in manual 5 at 65, 4 at 55 and 3 at 45 and it seemed to do just fine. Definitely took a little to get it going at times. Probably was loaded a bit tongue heavy but the truck didn’t mind it. Filter and fluid definitely needs to be done though and I am starting to do some research on trans coolers. Got 11 mpg average over the trip there and back. About half a tank each way.

Attachments

• 200B6A11-5939-4386-A4C8-855591783988.png
    200B6A11-5939-4386-A4C8-855591783988.png
    615.6 KB · Views: 60
Got my step fathers trailer again for Veterans Day, the lights were having a ton of issues so I went and rewired it this week with some LED lights and a junction box. Still needs some more work to be happy with it but better than it was and everything works now. I’ll probably tinker with it when I get back from uwharrie though. Never got to changing trans fluid yet but planning to do it when I replace the torque converter with a billet one hopefully over winter.

Attachments

• IMG_5614.jpeg
    IMG_5614.jpeg
    269.9 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_5615.jpeg
    IMG_5615.jpeg
    200.8 KB · Views: 36
Back