Tow rig -- what should I be looking for??

kaiser715

Doing hard time
Time to think about trading in for a new tow rig

First off...what I got... 1999 Ford F250 Stupordoody. 5.4 gas, auto, 4x4. Regular cab, long bed. 200k miles. Average NADA trade value is $3950.

What I want (more or less)...3/4 or 1 ton...SRW...more power than the 5.4 (gas V10 or Diesel). Auto (it's my DD). Crew cab (full 4-door). Long bed.

I am not opposed to buying an older model (i.e. 7.3) and putting some cash into immediate repairs and PM, instead of into the purchase...make sure everything is working and right. I'd do this to my current truck, which I really, really like...but need more guts than the 5.4, and really getting to the point I keep needing to haul a couple of extra folks around, so want crew cab. It is my DD, but don't mind the length, not a problem for what I do and where I go.

I have a good camper shell on my F250...so something that would match a '99 Superduty longbed would be nice and save some bucks over buying a new shell.

When I tow, depending on what trailer, what Jeep, whether or not the commo-camper is loaded, anywhere from 4500 to 10,200 lbs. Pull anywhere in SEUS.

I wanna buy outright, got about 12k to put with the trade, so around 16 or so total price.

So...what make/year/model/motor would you pick, and why?

Just so you know, many dealers won't give you KBB or NADA trade for an older vehicle.. they go by black book.

Back