Tow rig wheels

BigClay

Knower of useless ZJ things
So besides factory, what are the best routes to go on tow rig wheels? Aluminum or steel? What minimum load rating per wheel would you recommend? Give me all of your opinions.

Forged aluminum is pretty awesome. Light and strong! I've got stock PYO rims on my 2500HD and some Weld Racing rims on my K30. They're both 16", but Weld did/does still make some 17s.

What does everyone think about some cheap crager steel wheels on a tow rig?

Every cheap steel wheel I ever bought didn't seem to run out true. Never cared on the beaters I used them on but don't know if I'd trust them on a tow rig.

A decently designed aluminum wheel will be stiffer, stronger, and lighter than run of the mill steel wheels. OEM are hard to beat. Most wheels will be stronger than any normal tires you can buy. I think the strongest tire out there is a 295/65r20 at 4080lbs, but I could be wrong. Pick based on looks and cost, and make sure they're rated for your max load, and you should be good to go.

I got aluminum wheels that are Teflon coated easy to keep clean. And they don't look gay. Stock size as well to keep price if tires down

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Im with ben. I have factory 3rd gen wheels on my 2nd gen. love that they are clear coated so they are easy to clean. I hated polishing aftermarket aluminum wheels!

I'm starting to like the 07 2500 I believe pyo wheel with the D cut into em I thought they were steel but read there 5705 aluminum! Not sure what all they interchange with yet I'm still reading on that!

They're 8x6.5. They'll fit on any other 8 lug GM truck that's not newer than 2010 or 2011 when they went to 8x180mm.

I happen to have a set of PYO's in the bed of my truck right now. They have some worn out 285 Nitto Terra Grapplers on them. Neighbor was gonna give me the tires but they won't fit my trailer, and he wants $250 for the wheels with or without tires if you're interested.

Back