Tow truck laid over this AM

Blkvoodoo

professionally useless
There was a semi rolled over on the ramp from westbound 64 onto west bound 440 this AM, the wreckers were trying to right the trailer ( loaded with plywood ) and this was the result....

http://www.wral.com/news/local/video/7601855/

I drove by on 440 right after it happened, I knew I had seen the wrecker on it's side, tough day for Ivey's !

OOOOOPPPPPPSSSSS,I hope the owner was the one running the controls.

Doh! Guy is lucky.

I sat there, watching the video, going, the one on the right has his outriggers deployed and the one on the left doesn't... hmmm.

yeah, but it looked like the one on the right dropped the trailer, leaving all the weight to the truck on the left. Either way, thats a good video...and a fubar situation.

Come on.... The truck had the landing gear... To cool to drop the legs....

Honestly I think that the people who are running the 'critical' equipment sometimes really are way under educated... What would have happened if things had somehow flipped the other way....

I think something on the right side broke something like a cable or something. But areb right, no outriggers on left wrecker. I'll bet the Insurance co. would like to see vid!

If you look carefully, the truck on the right is a rotator, hence the outriggers. Truck on the left doesn't swing side to sidetherefore it has downriggers at the rear but no outriggers for lateral support. Yaeger is right, but once you get to this level there is usually more training than the casual " this is where ya put da chain " this is the exact reason that rolled semi's are usually off loaded before righting, seems like someone was probably hurried along by the " authorities " happens all the time.:driver:

Keep in mind, the ramp this incident took place has a pretty serious side bank to it, I use this ramp pretty often, and it's banked well, as well as being a pretty tight turn radius for the speed.

i am no tow truck pro.

but if me i would have slid it out on its side. then disconected the trailer frame.

then i would have lifted it up and set on a drop deck low boy or flat deck trailer.

took to a secure yard and then tryed to flip it up or emptyed it by hand and then uprighted it.

and as said were was his down riggers on the front truck that flipped ?

I want to know why they weren't further toward the middle of the highway with one or the other the tow truck so one could pull it back over and the other could keep tension on it to keep it from going on over the other side. Seems like they were picking strait up on it and the trailer tires slid out from under it causing it to sway on the left trucks boom tipping it over. Kind of a strange situation.

Usually when it's a overseas container flops pver they don't offload it, it's stronge enouth to right and move. It's just faster that way. There's no way for the driver to know how it's loaded when he picks up a loaded and sealed container from some 3rd world country either. If it had been a regular box or a reefer it would have blown the top out and it would have to be unloaded. When the wreckers turned the container, something might have shifted inside, and caused the problem. I used to haul a lot of these, if loaded here in USA not a prob, but coming in from whoknowswhere, be careful. The stuff is just packed till full or weight is maxed.

OOOOOPPPPPPSSSSS,I hope the owner was the one running the controls.
actually I think the owner was the one running the controls on the turned over wrecker. Not a close up enough shot of the guy pulling the windshield out, but he looks a lot like Gary.

I think a chain broke on the other wrecker though, causing the hole problem. I guess looking from the outside there is always a better way to do it. What about the oil leak in the gulf? any suggestions on how to fix the leak?

actually I think the owner was the one running the controls on the turned over wrecker. Not a close up enough shot of the guy pulling the windshield out, but he looks a lot like Gary.
I think a chain broke on the other wrecker though, causing the hole problem. I guess looking from the outside there is always a better way to do it. What about the oil leak in the gulf? any suggestions on how to fix the leak?

The problem in the gulf is easy, Large ziploc baggies and a bunch of coffee filters. These enviro people make stuff so complex!!! LOL:beer:

I think a chain broke on the other wrecker though, causing the hole problem.

The owner was the guy operating the Rotator wrecker, ( remote controlled ) yes, the chains snapped.
The operation was to try and lift then rotate the trailer onto it's wheels, when the chains snapped, all the weight went to the forward truck and then swung toward the low side of the ramp, if there hadn't been the sideways load of the ramp, the truck would't have gone over.
The fella working the other wrecker was actually pulled off the ground trying to lower the boom on his truck after the chains snapped, and wasn't able to drop fast enough.
The container was carrying 49k pound load of basically MDF sheets that were not properly loaded, the load was run straight down the center of the trailer, and the plastic and paper "air bags" placed on either side of load against the walls of trailer to stabilize. Then 1" strapping to hold things in place.... the load shifted (popping the air bags) when the truck pulling it came around the curved ramp ( truck was going ~60 mph ) which is what caused it to tip.

The wrecker is probably totaled, cab shifted/racked over, wrecker body shifted over and crushed on one side, other then that truck runs fine, took 3 wreckers to right the one laid over ( 68,000 lbs by itself )

The container was loaded onto a Landoll on it's side, frame and all, and hauled to the yard where it was uprighted and reloaded BY HAND.

info from one of the Ivey's drivers who was called to help right the wrecker, I talked to him this AM, nobody was injured in the whole deal ( other than pride ), which is the best part of it all.

Back