Towing Gooseneck and 2 Rigs/Cars with SRW

72Rockcruiser

LETS GO BRANDON!
I have only hauled my trailer (30ft 14krated deckover) with my 97 Dodge dually thats been running load range F 19.5s.

It has always handled great and the tires barely wore/bulged. That truck didnt care how I loaded it either. heavier vehicle up front, heavier in rear, fowards/backwards. It really didnt seem to care.

My typical total gross weight with two cars/trucks loaded was usually between 18-22k. But I snuck it up to 25 and (maybe a bit higher, didnt scale, but it felt a good bit heavier then when it was at 25. 28ish maybe?)

I am sure if I go to a 3/4 ton SRW(looking at 99 f250 4wd 7.3) I know I will definately need at least E's, but are they gonna get annialahted with that kind of weight? Will it be squirrely?

Who has pullled similar and with what results? I plan to drive this new truck everyday when Im not hauling..so a SRW is gonna be a lot easier to run around in than a DRW, or else Id just stay DRW.

Any advise is welcomed.

Thanks!

We have 3500# of pin and gross 25k ish loaded. SRW Dodge 2500. Needs air bags and higher-rated tires. "E" is a meaningless generic term that encompasses load carrying capability from about 2900# to about 3900# per single tire. We have 285/70R17 Nitto Terra Grapplers with a 126R service rating. That lets them carry up to 3750# per tire in SRW at 80psi. Got about 40k on the last set.

I put about 18psi in the air bags when it's empty. That works out to about 38-40psi loaded.

I tow 2 Jeeps with my '00 F250 7.3 often. Load range E Nitto Terra Grapplers. It pulls great. It pulls better with the gooseneck and 2 rigs than my 16' pull behind with one rig. Not squirrely at all.

ai1090.photobucket.com_albums_i375_jmauldin250_IMG_20121007_094431_zpsa2a710a1.jpg

I gross 23k+ a couple times a year with my 07 2500. I'm running nitto trail grapplers load range e with no complaints. I don't tow long distance with my srw at those weights though. Usually just 150 mile or so.

I used to pull a 1 ton YJ (5k) and a "buggyfied" XJ (4k) on a 36' goose (5.5k) behind an 03 SRW Dodge 3500 without issue. I towed to Tellico, Uwharrie and Harlan many, many times like that. A dually will probably feel better, but a properly equipped SRW will do fine.

I used to pull a 1 ton YJ (5k) and a "buggyfied" XJ (4k) on a 36' goose (5.5k) behind an 03 SRW Dodge 3500 without issue. I towed to Tellico, Uwharrie and Harlan many, many times like that. A dually will probably feel better, but a properly equipped SRW will do fine.
Well get a goose and take me to Harlan! Besides yours is intercooled. :rockon:

If you'll be hauling the same setup frequently (like if they're the same two rigs you always haul to go wheelin) then it'd be worth the little bit of time it would take to figure out which way is the best way to orient them on the trailer. Let the trailer do most of the work, make sure it's mostly level, but still has the proper amount of tongue/pin weight (don't want the tail to wag the dog) so it squats the truck a little bit, etc. It makes a huge difference as I'm sure you know.

That F250 should have 16" rims...shouldn't have much of a problem finding a good, high rate, tire to put on it.

should be fine with some bags. I sit somewhere between 22-23k with everything loaded up and have no issues at all. tires on tow rig are 285-75-16 Cooper STTs and they get max psi in the rears when it's hooked up. they are 10 ply (load range E).

the bags helped smooth the ride out so I would definitely recommend them. I typically tow a 32' GN that has a camper built onto it and then the wheelin rig sits on back.

the big thing for an older truck like what you're looking at is gross combined. what is the truck rated for and how far over will you be going? that could be an issue when involved in an accident.

that and brakes. still gotta stop it ;)

oh yeah, and probably want to upgrade to a D plate (I did for mine just in case) not sure how your state is for that

NC has weighted tags. The tag has to cover the truck, trailer, and anything you're hauling...including people. So, you just need to tag it for your total weight.

That jewel isn't even broken in yet! Looks good and best yet, it's a long bed!

Well, I'm up to 65k miles now on her now and while I love it...I really still think I should have bought a dually. I am over(juuust over) the 8800 GVWR(Truck with trailer attached and empty) in the door jamb.. and dont want to incriminate myself with the loaded weights. It has handled everything OK, but that Dodge did work and even handled a quite a bit more weight like "is that all you got?"

Im gonna do 19.5s at tax time, if not sooner, and that should help get closer to the "solid" feel the (Ragged ass) Dodge provided, but I worry about the "legal numbers"

The only legal numbers are the tag weight (tax man wants his money) and the axle weight numbers and tire weight numbers. The axle weight limit is also subject to adjustment if the vehicle has been modified to carry additional weight.

The GVWR number has to fit within a certain range for the truck to be classified as a F150, 250, etc. Has little to do with the weight carrying capacity of the truck.

One thing that's not been touched on here is the GVWR and your license. If your truck and and trailer weight combined exceed 26,001 lbs. You may need a CDL A license.

Example. My new dually GVWR is 14,000 and my enclosed is 13,200 making it 27,200. Technically I'm illegal just hooked up to my trailer with my buggy loaded and my current license.

"The DMV offers three types of Commercial Driver License CDL.
Commercial Class A
  • Any combination of vehicles with a gross vehicle weight rating,GVWR, of 26,001 pounds or more, provided the GVWR of the vehicle or vehicles being towed is in excess of 10,000 pounds.
Commercial Class B
  • Any single vehicle with a GVWR of 26,001 pounds or more, and any such vehicle towing a vehicle with a GVWR not in excess of 10,000 pounds.
Commercial Class C
  • Any vehicle not described in Class A or B above but is: Designed to transport 16 or more passengers, including the driver; or used in the transportation of hazardous materials that require the vehicle to be placarded under C.F.R., Part 172, Subpart F."

Im good there. Truck 8800 and trailer 14,000. Tagged for 22k. What I worry about is the numbers in the door jamb, Im over them just with the empty trailer.

I dunno about the Fords, but the door sticker on my Dodge is something like 5500# front and 6500# rear. But with the bags and the tires, I'm good to 7500# in the back. Brakes are the same as the one ton, so no worries there.

The GVWR is 9000, but that's only because if it were much higher, they'd have to call it a 3500. It's strictly because of the federal truck class designations.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but the 10,001lbs. puts you in the CDL range. I just got busted in New Mexico by DMV for the same deal. I now have a CDL.lol Another factor is you're using this setup for commerce and that opens up other doors.(USDOT number, Fed inspection, IFTA if you go out of state) I argued these points with the agent and was not allowed to proceed with the trip. They showed great leniency on me as I attempted to plead my case which was completely incorrect! There are many different angles to this conversation and to me this whole program is confusing so if you want to be legal you should contact DL office. We all know this is about fees and paying into the system and that pisses me off to no end but that's another thread. Good Luck!

I have not pulled 2 rigs but I have been over total 15,000lbs weight with my 31ft camper loaded with 2 weeks supplies as well as a full 8ft bed of fire wood on many occasions in my 93 Chevy 3500 srw with no issues. Other than the 454 getting a little on the warm side a couple times crossing Sam's Gap. Both times was my fault though not the truck being over loaded.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but the 10,001lbs. puts you in the CDL range. I just got busted in New Mexico by DMV for the same deal.

North Carolina class c allows up to 26k gross with no trailer weight restrictions. But they go by the sum of the GVWR numbers posted on the truck and trailer.

North Carolina class c allows up to 26k gross with no trailer weight restrictions. But they go by the sum of the GVWR numbers posted on the truck and trailer.
You two seem to be saying the same thing. Like I said above, my GVWR with my truck and enclosed is 27,200, to much for my Class C, even empty if I understand correctly.

Am I missing something @shawn?

Actually, even though it does not say it on your license, If your hauling a trailer with a gross weight rating of 10,001 or more it IS considered commercial. I know it does not say that on the license and most people get away with it but it is true. I checked on a trooper that cited someone for it last week.

I just read thru the DMV manual that I used for my test and it says if the combined GVWR is above 26,001 = Class A
If the unit being towed is over 10,001= Class A
This is what Dave(Olivers) has in his post. I'm not an expert by no means, just had to go through this headache over the last 2 months. Like I said this topic is confusing as hell. To my understanding, he needs a Class A and unfortunately he will need other elements with that as well because he is hauling for work.

Yep, it says it right on the back of a class c license. <26,001 and should be good to go with a regular class C license as long as the truck or the combo truck/trailer is <26,001 used for non-commerical purposes. Is there not reciprocity outside of NC? ALso I think RV trailers are not subject to this weight restriction for a CDL but maybe someone can confirm that. I thought I saw those line item excluded when I was reading about this before. Some of the 5W trailers and a dually can get up into that >26K territory (especially the toy haulers). Also interested in @k5-1402 comment about the trooper saying above 10K trailer is commercial. Seems the print on the back of the license would disagree with that???

No it doesn't disagree with that. It doesn't tell the trailer weight rating. It tells you the gross combined weight rating. I know it's confusing and very arguable.

Back