Towing Route to WV

WillnFox

Un-Known Member
So its supposed to snow Friday on my way to WV

I can go 77 and hit fancy gap and the tunnels. Fancy Gap is calling for snow flurries all day so not looking to hit climb that in the snow.

Other option is HWY 220 to Roanoke then 64.

I know the route to Roanoke and the snow is supposed to be rain on that side so I'm OK with that. However not sure what interstate 64 is like from 220 to hwy 20

If you know its gonna snow on fancy gap would you tow the mountain or go around? I've got 4WD and a rear electronic locker.

I've driven I-77 in 6" of snow, so....

There's a hill or two between Fancy Gap and I-81 and several between I-81 and Beckley that are more dangerous IMHO than Fancy Gap, so it really depends on where you're going.

IIRC, 220 through Botetourt County is wide and flat. I-81 to I-64 is the same. There's one big grade leaving Lexington headed west, but it's not steep.

I've driven I-77 in 6" of snow, so....

There's a hill or two between Fancy Gap and I-81 and several between I-81 and Beckley that are more dangerous IMHO than Fancy Gap, so it really depends on where you're going.

IIRC, 220 through Botetourt County is wide and flat. I-81 to I-64 is the same. There's one big grade leaving Lexington headed west, but it's not steep.

That's kind of my thinking and might be a nightmare if a wreck happens near the tunnels. I've never been on 64 but sounds like youre saying its OK. The forecast is saying the snow wont be bad the further east I stay which is what I'd be doing by doing the 220 64 route

VDOT seems to do a good job around here on the roads. I would stay on the interstate. Of course you always have stupid drivers everywhere.
Same with wvdot. 77 will be the most cleared route. The wv turnpike is the best maintained road in the state. Yes that's not saying a lot, but its a fact. Most of the delays are on the VA side right before the big walker tunnel in my experience.

I just drove 220 to 64 the other week. I don’t know who would ever want to tow a rig on 220 between Greensboro and Roanoke. Sure the stretch of 220 between Roanoke and Clifton Forge (I 64) is pretty flat, but everything before that are all hills and turns and traffic lights that are going to suck. You’ll be starting and stopping pretty frequently.

I've been up fancy gap basically every winter since it was opened. Prior to that we'd have to go 52 all the way....now THAT was sketch as hell in the winter...but still, massive truck artery so they always keep it clear. It's nothing like the roads around here when we get "snow"

We will be MUCH better off above Mt Airy on those roads than anything here. Besides...the forecast has changed and pushed that mess further south

Just a heads up, there is road work in WV after the first toll booth to I think HWY19, it is tight...just a heads up.

I agree with all the other comments about staying on the interstate, drove between CLT to WVU for 3 years every other weekend, the worst drive was during a snowstorm, and a big rig decided to "drift that mug" around a turn and got a little too sideways and had all lanes block so I had to take the median "bypass" to get around the wreck. Every other time set the cruise at 80 on the north side of Statesville, stop in Wytheville for cheap gas and food, hammer down to WVU.

Just a heads up, there is road work in WV after the first toll booth to I think HWY19, it is tight...just a heads up.
Yup...had a truck decide it wanted the 2 remaining lanes all to itself on our last trip.

And for a toll road, that has to be the shittiest section of road this side of New Jersey WTF do they spend all that toll money on?!?!

I just drove 220 to 64 the other week. I don’t know who would ever want to tow a rig on 220 between Greensboro and Roanoke. Sure the stretch of 220 between Roanoke and Clifton Forge (I 64) is pretty flat, but everything before that are all hills and turns and traffic lights that are going to suck. You’ll be starting and stopping pretty frequently.
I tow up 220 to Roanoke a few times a year. Easy Peasy. However if I was heading up 77, I'd just go that way and not do 220 to 64.

Back