toy hauler

91oneton

i recently purchased a 25" flagstaff forest river... dry weight is 3600lbs.. i wanted a toy hauler but this unit was on a smoking deal.. my thoughts were to add 65" to the front by extending the tongue frame and installing a new tongue... i takes a 2" ball now and i thought i would go ahead and and change that out to a 2-5/16. my question is how much tongue weight would that add considering the rzr is 1000lbs and ill add a small generator.. i do drive a 3/4 ton truck and the camper came with the stabilizer bars...
414293_423957030959117_315503511_o.jpg

I say do it, if its too much you could always lift the camper and add a 3rd axle infront of the other 2.....

I would consider the frame that is already under it. These are designed to carry the box that is attached. You will be surprised how weak they are. With all the stuff that comes standard it still comes in at 3,600. It's not designed for much more. Tongue weight is not the issue with the mods you are intending. The frame is just strong enough to get it out the door from the factory with a few groceries and some clothes. JMHO

I would consider the frame that is already under it. These are designed to carry the box that is attached. You will be surprised how weak they are. With all the stuff that comes standard it still comes in at 3,600. It's not designed for much more. Tongue weight is not the issue with the mods you are intending. The frame is just strong enough to get it out the door from the factory with a few groceries and some clothes. JMHO

This.

you would be better off opening up the back & installing a large fold down door. With the amount of time & money you will put in it, you could buy one..

Your awning looks like shit B.
WP.

if you were worried about tongue weight, you could always convert it to gooseneck when you extended it.

Right, or just do like the guys from Texas and just put another frame under it. Gooseneck, decent axles, and a 15ft deck out back for the rig or RZR or whatever. ;)

damn guys that a good way to turn a good deal into a wad of money...

im not sure but i think its the same frame that comes under the same unit with slides... if so they are almost 2k heavier thats why i conidered reusing it maybe better check into that a little more

just buy my toyhauler :) guess I have to put it up for sale first lol

Looks like the frame is 5 or 6" I beam... Looks kinda thin maybe 1/8" . I would probably plate back several feet with some 4" flat stock near where I add the extension. The only other option is to extend the tongue maybe 12" where I can pull with the tailgate down and maybe squeeze the rzr in the bed.

91oneton, sorry about that, but I knew it was some thin steel. The box on top is part of the strength, small changes has bad effects.

Those are normally welded sheet metal fabbed up beams. I've been around campers before I could drive and I've repaired a few where people have added hitches carry-alls and the sort. Most of em the additions were plenty strong but the frame rips out. I've seen the slide out sides really gutted for the slides and they were only strong when slid shut to tow. If you do extend the frame check into a load leveling style hitch system and a anti sway-bar set up for the additional tongue weight. Sub-frame it with real I-beam like a low profile 4X3 1/4 web or 5 channel and relocate the axles. Done right you might get alot higher resale in the end. Good haulers for toys are hard to come by.

^^easiest^^

thats what i was trying to tell brandon just buy mine and sell the camper :)

damn it not the responses i was looking for.. def. looks like a fabbed i beam ... guess its on hold for now

im
Those are normally welded sheet metal fabbed up beams. I've been around campers before I could drive and I've repaired a few where people have added hitches carry-alls and the sort. Most of em the additions were plenty strong but the frame rips out. I've seen the slide out sides really gutted for the slides and they were only strong when slid shut to tow. If you do extend the frame check into a load leveling style hitch system and a anti sway-bar set up for the additional tongue weight. Sub-frame it with real I-beam like a low profile 4X3 1/4 web or 5 channel and relocate the axles. Done right you might get alot higher resale in the end. Good haulers for toys are hard to come by.

i'm open to plate the entire frame with some 2x4 or whatever will lay inside the i beam... i have a load leveling hitch already.. the only thing i don't wanna do is move the axles...

I think it would be alot more safe and practical to do something like this. http://www.cedarcreekrvownersclub.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1324
Just get O'lJeeps to fab you one up.

I believe they are becoming alot more popular since most people are pulling like 35' fifth wheels and want to take their golf cart with them and can't put it in the truck.
I seen about a half dozen at OceanLakes last week while camping and they looked real sturdy.
How long is the RZR?

I say buy a motorhome, pull whatever you want, you sit up higher and drive nekked like we do!

I think it would be alot more safe and practical to do something like this. http://www.cedarcreekrvownersclub.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1324
Just get O'lJeeps to fab you one up.

I believe they are becoming alot more popular since most people are pulling like 35' fifth wheels and want to take their golf cart with them and can't put it in the truck.
I seen about a half dozen at OceanLakes last week while camping and they looked real sturdy.
How long is the RZR?

i'm sorry but that looks terrible so i cant do that...

I'm not really sudgesting you do this but I saw a really unique way to haul a buggy one day at Anchor Richey. The FabFours people paid them a visit pulling a big enclosed with a top kick chevy 5500. The truck had a long wheel base reading style bed with a fairly elaborate tube rack on top. I asked what it was for and they replied that it was for haualing the buggy while towing a trailer. The ramps and all stored on the top made into the rack. Lord knows how it pulled. So I guess you could build a wedge trailer style rack and park the utv on the bed over the cab!

Seen a 379 set up very similar in SD.the ramp was very steep and they used the winch on buggy to get it up on it. Pulled a fifth wheel camper behind. He said he bought the 379 for $10,000 with a 425 Cat, 13spd, jake , walkin sleeper with 300 gallon fuel tanks. Best and cheapest tow rig I've seen.

gallery_picture_4346.jpg

I dont think this looks bad at all and i think with a longer camper and shorter deck it would look even better...

Back