Toyota 22re cranks but won't run

ddbarr4

It started stumbling and shutting off but would crank right back up then got worse. New fuel pump, filters, and lines and can't make it run. Any ideas I'm at a loss and don't have a lot of money to throw at it.

Is the gas fresh? Have you checked fuel pressure? What brand pump did you put in it, sometimes those are bad right off.

I'd start with fuel pressure, I've heard mixed opinions of the e2000 pumps.

If you give it gas, and that causes it to choke and die, it's probably an air leak in past the AFM. Remember "giving gas" e.g. pressing the pedal or pulling the throttle cable actually is adding air, not gas, then the AFM compensates with more gas.
Look closely at the rubber boot coming off of the AFM. They tend to get old and crack, and then leak air in. That would explain it slowly getting worse over time.
If you find it, you can wrap the whole thing in good quality duct tape to seal it up. Cheap stuff will get goopy and come off.

Another thing to check is whether you are maintaining good vacuum when it's running, that will tell you if you have a bigger problem (or possibly a hose that is loose...)

I'd like to thank everyone for their ideas so far and hopefully I get to find and fix it this weekend. I will report when I get it fixed. Any more ideas on the problem please continue to post up.

Back