toyota flat belly idea, opinions

toyota1

Im thinking about flat bellying my toyota i will gain 4" of clearance right now i have a 20" belly height on 38s. I have the tg dual case cross member and i was planning on cutting the two pieces that angle down off. cutting relief cuts in the floor, jacking the cases up then welding the angled piece back on but making them flat. I dont wanna use the fror cause it provides no protection for the bottom of the cases. Does anyone see any major problems in this idea before i break out the torch? its and 86 btw

I just took a piece of 3/8 thick flat steel and made a crossmember. I welded 1x1 angle iron to the top of it to make it more rigid.

ai320.photobucket.com_albums_nn330_sgtbriangreen_IMG_20120830_00057.jpg

I just took a piece of 3/8 thick flat steel and made a crossmember. I welded 1x1 angle iron to the top of it to make it more rigid.

ai320.photobucket.com_albums_nn330_sgtbriangreen_IMG_20120830_00057.jpg
How much of the floor did you have to cut?

I saw the pics… looks like ill need more airsaw blades with no body lift and dual cases

I saw the pics… looks like ill need more airsaw blades with no body lift and dual cases

I had to remake my trans tunnel. and chop the floor for the exhaust to run through. If i had to do it again, I would make it flat but an inch or so below the frame rails so i wouldnt have had to cut up the floor as much. Also with the duals the pass seat has to be higher than the drivers which isnt comfortable for the passengers. Not pushing it as high up will help with the pass seat mounting.

I used a fror plate and used 1/4" 2x3 angle iron that I cut to make it look like it was made to the fror plate that bolts on the back 1 or so bolts of the tc. I jacked it up until a flat sheet of 1/4" would be flat with the frame rails. I had to completely cut the tranny tunnel out to get the setup that high and remade the tunnel with 1/2" square tubing and 18gauge to cover. Used auto zone shifter boots to make a clean look. Going through it again with mine now...not fun for me. A lot of angles come into play when trying to do it right and clean looking. Post pics when you get there

Looks like ill be cutting alot of the center of my floor out putting a bar down low on the main hoop of the cage and two bars from the dash bar like this \ / then connecting it all… probably mounting gaugea and switch panel in this part \ /

Back