Toyota Guise Lets Talk About RUF spring packs

palmetto zuk

Well hung member
Looking to do chevy rears on the rear and rears up front on my 85 4runner. I have read through the ruf faq on pirate to get some ideas. Looking to see what combination of leafs some of yall are running around here in your ruf leaf packs. Just trying to get an idea of what you did, if you like them, how they flex, how they drive, and what you would have done differently.

Figured i would leave yall a little something for your help to show my appreciation.

things-still-bounce-on-friday-17-photos-15.gif
190719e59248f5c0bcb74c5a6729e56d.gif

Last edited:
Do I need moar titty gifs or something?

I have nothing useful to add on the RUF pack, because I went with trail gear springs up front. I have 63's in the rear and if I did it again I would go with f150 springs. The chevy don't flex great and hang out too much in the rear.

Running the same setup as ^ and the tg flex pretty good but 63' are to stiff really

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

I'd run a bastard 5 leaf ruf pack. Make the leafs as long as possible.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

This is exactly what we done on the foreskin(buddies 4runner), just took a couple different packs and basterdized them. Used the longest springs.

Want to do this to. How many leaves do you guys have? 4, 5, 6 or more
Everything I've read says 6 but would love to hear from folks on here of their experience.

Depending on the arch in the leafs it probably will not make that much difference in height. Will probably be stiffer tho.
@BigGreenMonster have you run 6 before? I just built one pack and building the other over the weekend. Mine is 6 and each leaf is about ~4-6 inches shorter (2-3 inches on each side) and the bottom is only about 10 inches total. I'm thinking if this is too stiff to either cut each a little shorter or take the bottom two out and run the anti-wrap leaf cut down to slightly longer than the spring perch.

@BigGreenMonster have you run 6 before? I just built one pack and building the other over the weekend. Mine is 6 and each leaf is about ~4-6 inches shorter (2-3 inches on each side) and the bottom is only about 10 inches total. I'm thinking if this is too stiff to either cut each a little shorter or take the bottom two out and run the anti-wrap leaf cut down to slightly longer than the spring perch.

Honestly... I have no clue what I have in mine. I started with 4" yj's but with the axle pushed so far forward I had horrible shackle angle. I had a custom mail leaf made that is a cross between the 4" yj, from the center pin forward, and a toyota rear, center pin back. One thing I noticed with rears up front was the axle is at a bad angle. That is why I had a main leaf made... Next... Lol, I took an arched 4" yj spring, a rear Dakota spring, a couple rear yota springs an maybe another one... I think I have 4 or 5 leafes in it. I will have to look. Honestly, mine is a little soft. It flexs pretty well but the front end has settled down a good bit.

Does anybody here have any experience with the Sky Off-road 3F springs? They are supposed to be similar to a ruf design. Low lift and move the axle forward 3". I have an 82 I am about to re work the suspension on. I've built a front hanger to move the front mount 1" forward and 2" down. The 2" down I think will help with driveline angle. I also have a set of 63s lined up to install but after reading this thread I have doubts. Pros and cons to 150 springs would be helpful. thanks

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Does anybody here have any experience with the Sky Off-road 3F springs? They are supposed to be similar to a ruf design. Low lift and move the axle forward 3". I have an 82 I am about to re work the suspension on. I've built a front hanger to move the front mount 1" forward and 2" down. The 2" down I think will help with driveline angle. I also have a set of 63s lined up to install but after reading this thread I have doubts. Pros and cons to 150 springs would be helpful. thanks

I just looked into those Sky springs they better be damn good for 500 bucks.

Ok so the suspension plan is changing every day. I have a set of Rough country 3" 4rnr rears that I picked up a while back. I didn't like the lift they gave my 82 pickup so I took them off. I'm thinking about pulling 2 leafs and using them for my ruf swap instead of buying a high dollar set of springs ( isn't that what rufs is all about?) They do not have the full military wrap up front like a factory rear does. How critical is this? Should I start with a set of factory rears? Knowing I will need to add leafs to get to a wheeling height? I could use these rough country springs to add lift to a set of factory springs. I know I will need a small amount of lift to clear my 37s. I want to stay as low as possible though. I've been high and pitchy. No fun. I'm sure I'm over thinking this. Thanks

Back