Toyota mini truck SAS using FJ60 axle

I already have built axles. More curious about what springs folks used and how they addressed the passenger side perch. I have a firm grasp on the gist of this swap, just fishing for first hand feedback.

It seems you would either need to:
A- link it utilizing a shorter/ less lift coil since the FJ60 housing is a wider than a mini truck housing. Or outboard the coil tower on the frame appropriately.
B- run a lower lift leaf like a YJ or Waggy front since the pass perch will be up on the side of the diff

Since the housing is wider overall, and you still want to turn the wheel deep without getting into the leafs. I vote a 3 link with either coils or budget minded coil overs. Since you're starting from scratch, the overall work to link it won't be substantially more and you'll gain better off road performance.

A- link it utilizing a shorter/ less lift coil since the FJ60 housing is a wider than a mini truck housing. Or outboard the coil tower on the frame appropriately.
B- run a lower lift leaf like a YJ or Waggy front since the pass perch will be up on the side of the diff

Since the housing is wider overall, and you still want to turn the wheel deep without getting into the leafs. I vote a 3 link with either coils or budget minded coil overs. Since you're starting from scratch, the overall work to link it won't be substantially more and you'll gain better off road performance.

Edit: I'm bored at work
'85 FJ60(?) axles on my '89 4runner - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

I would agree with Jody. To save $$ up front, find some factory Jeep (XJ/TJ/ZJ) control arms and use the bushings. Could also run 2.0 air shocks if its offroad only.

Im afraid I am too stupid to get a three link correct. We maybe not, but my "shop" will be some leveled out gravel and some jack stands. Path of least resistance might be best so I'm not fighting the front axle for a year. I want to part ways with my cruiser platform and get into something I can drive to club workdays and will have some creature comforts.

Currently considering rears up front and using my tapped FJ60 box to place the steering arm pivot and drag link in front of the tie rod.

Looks like the at the stock 60 spring width is 29 3/4" and the mini truck is 29. I'm thinking I can pull my new perches in a bit, but it will compound the issue if one u bolt. On my cruiser, I finally landed on a couple bolts rather than a u bolt.

I'm not opposed to the three link from a packaging standpoint, just intimidated by it.

3 link for dummies (I, myself being a dummy, followed these guidelines and well,you rode with me last weekend...)

Lowers should be the length of your tire diameter and as reasonably flat as possible. Triangulate as much as possible
Upper should be a few inches longer than lowers and have a slight negative rake to it
Trackbar should be length of draglink and parallel with it (both should be as flat as you can)
Make your upper mounts BEEFY!
Enjoy your 3 link

Last edited:
You building a new rig?

You building a new rig?

I've been stuck with what to do for a while. The ability to run down the road legally has been on my mind recently. Started grafting a fj40 grill in for headlights and more "legal" look.

Then went and rode with @Jody Treadway this past weekend in his Ranger. Gave me the itch bad.

To continue on my platform and get lower gears and to move away from a carb would be expensive.

A friend has a 94 extra cab v6 that I'm going to put my axles under. Dual cases, fuel injected, and creature comforts of doors, AC, and heat are in my future.

4847.jpeg

Going to sell my chassis and parts and move on. It's a shame really because the cruiser works really well, but...

Still up in the air, but leaning towards RUF and some 63 Chevy's for simplicity and a quick turn around. As mentioned, its wheeling season not wrenching season.

Motivation for a leaf springs

Back