Toyota Pinion Angle

Brownsxj

I am setting up a Toyota high pinion 3rd in my Suzuki. I am in need of turning the pinion up slightly to help my driveshaft angle. At the moment I have it siting at 5*. What is the max that one can go to and still have proper oiling? I don’t have to turn it up much, just would like to know.

As long as the pinion bearings get adequate oiling, turn it up and let it eat.
With the axle at "normal" angle, reference how much oil the pinion bearings will recieve (in stock form) by marking the outside of the housing. Then, when you turn it up, fill until you get oil flow to the same mark. You may have to raise the fill plug to do so.

It should be fine, if you're really worried just always make sure you're going up hill. The ring gear is meant to throw oil up into the pinion bearings, but that only happens with some speed.

Thanks guys! I wasn’t crazy worried but sometimes we tend to over stress about the small stuff.
I set up a 9” with wrangler bracket kit once before. Later was told I had put too much angle on the pinion. At the time I turned it slightly to compensate for the lift/ short driveshaft.

It should be fine, if you're really worried just always make sure you're going up hill. The ring gear is meant to throw oil up into the pinion bearings, but that only happens with some speed.
The ring gear is also good at throwing spider gear teeth between the pinion bearings. And they stay there. Ask me how i know...

Back