Toyota steering box rebuild question

Van-go

Not an old man
So I’m rebuilding my steering box and just had a question because I’m finding conflicting things.

The kit I got comes with two O-rings and two Teflon rings shown as number 17 and 18.

when I took apart the box there was no O ring.

should I put one back on if there wasn’t one there before?

O ring would sit under the Teflon ring. Like it does on the piston. 10 & 9

anyone done this before?

image.jpg

Similar but not directly related:

Hydraulic cylinders, it's common to have a "backup" rubber o ring under a Teflon "u" seal.

I'd reassemble it the way it came apart unless there was signs of there being a o ring and Teflon previously, or there may have been extra parts, or it was redesigned to prevent a design fail with the seal pair.

Similar but not directly related:

Hydraulic cylinders, it's common to have a "backup" rubber o ring under a Teflon "u" seal.

I'd reassemble it the way it came apart unless there was signs of there being a o ring and Teflon previously, or there may have been extra parts, or it was redesigned to prevent a design fail with the seal pair.
I tried to put the O-ring under it but it would not seat all the way down when I tried to put the Teflon over top of it. There was definitely not an O-ring before but it’s weird that the kit would come with those seals and show a diagram of them going in.

The new teflon seal should have different dimensions than the current (OEM) teflon seal if it was meant to be used with an additional O-ring. You can't just squeeze an extra O-ring behind another seal into a spot that wasn't designed to have an O-ring. I'm not familiar with that steering box at all, but seal design is seal design.

Like I said, if it did not originally have a seal, don't try to add one. They may include one for variations in different models to cover more than one application in a package - think carb kit.

Put it together. We’ll see if it leaks. Got to get a new pressure line made cause I put a different pump in. Then we can test it.

All the jeep boxes I have ported and rebuilt, I put back together like it came apart and still had extra seals.

Like I said, if it did not originally have a seal, don't try to add one. They may include one for variations in different models to cover more than one application in a package - think carb kit.
So the input shaft is only turning 2 turns lock to lock. Before it was like 4 or 5... any idea what I did wrong?

edit: I’m stupid.
Didn’t have the teeth lined up inside.
36DD4C6E-F733-48D2-B47E-07B0C418D7B1.jpeg
5C2DC5D0-8F0F-4CC8-9386-42D574C7485E.jpeg

Last edited:
The kit probably serves multiple models. May be one with an o ring, and yours isn't it.

is that a land cruiser box ? I just tore one down yesterday to port I haven't removed the teflon orings I can let you know how it comes apart I know the one im working on has never been opened up before I did

is that a land cruiser box ? I just tore one down yesterday to port I haven't removed the teflon orings I can let you know how it comes apart I know the one im working on has never been opened up before I did
It was a 86/87 ifs box

Back