Trailer axle spindles

C.Berry

Bad News
How much bevel? The axle itself is tube 1.25x .200 thick with threaded insert still inside! Figured I’d bevel the spindle since it’s solid and roll on? Not gonna be on the road really or Should I just go get a piece of square tube and insert the spindle into it and weld it up?? Trying to not spend cash in this bc all new metal I’m using I already have from shelving I didn’t use! Cheap ass here
image.jpg

is there a shoulder that slides into the tubing? If so, bevel the thickness of the tube. If not, you need a bigger I.D. tube.

is there a shoulder that slides into the tubing? If so, bevel the thickness of the tube. If not, you need a bigger I.D. tube.
Nope that’s butted up against axle tube and spindle itself are same size! Gonna get 1.5x .200 square tube and make a new axle all together I suppose!

Nope that’s butted up against axle tube and spindle itself are same size! Gonna get 1.5x .200 square tube and make a new axle all together I suppose!

Have it machined about 1" to fit in the tube. Have them cut the bevel at the same time. Nice snug fit will give less issues setting spindles straight so it won't wear tires like mad.

Have it machined about 1" to fit in the tube. Have them cut the bevel at the same time. Nice snug fit will give less issues setting spindles straight so it won't wear tires like mad.
I was just thinking that I could throw it on a lathe but the axle tube would then need to be cut for the spindle to go inside of it bc it was threaded and that would leave me a shorter axle. I was trying to widen it some bc tires were under the trailer as it was built before, I’d like to lower it a little bit for stability! Pic of axle tube with screw in insert still in it
image.jpg

Last edited:
Good luck

I do have more tube with same wall thickness but not long enough for whole axle! Go figure... I seen at northern till they had a piece of square tube with same spindle in it as a 1750lb axle tho but finding 1.5 square tube that’s not thin wall is problem around here no metal suppliers except box store pieces

Lol gonna start with new tube for axle and go from there not up for doing it twice...

If you have something that's 1.25 ID I'd bevel the hell out of the axle and spindle, grind smooth and sleeve over it.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

If you have something that's 1.25 ID I'd bevel the hell out of the axle and spindle, grind smooth and sleeve over it.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
My first thought was to sleeve the spindles, but I believe I’m gonna go with square tube and then I can make axle width and trailer height what I really want bc I’ll have extra tube to play with and I won’t be worried about my junk breaking on me lol

You could always cut the tube in half, sleeve the center splice a good bit, and flip the tube around and machine the spindle to fit the cut end. Food for thought. You'd get the length, reuse most of the material, and get alignment out of it. Fwiw, I butt welded two pieces of angle iron (actually did that twice, but to make two lengths, one for each blade) together to make a backer for a double bladed grader.. of course I didn't do a square cut, it was about 18-24" of weld on 3x5 angle.. not that that is the same at all.

You could always cut the tube in half, sleeve the center splice a good bit, and flip the tube around and machine the spindle to fit the cut end. Food for thought. You'd get the length, reuse most of the material, and get alignment out of it. Fwiw, I butt welded two pieces of angle iron (actually did that twice, but to make two lengths, one for each blade) together to make a backer for a double bladed grader.. of course I didn't do a square cut, it was about 18-24" of weld on 3x5 angle.. not that that is the same at all.
Not a bad idea at all I wanted to sleeve the center before I knew I needed new spindles just to get the width of axle out but seems I’d have more void in the sleeve then material! My first idea was to make adjustable axle with a sleeve in center and to narrow or widen for whatever I had on it!! Square tube is gonna be my answer I do believe 6’ piece is cheap

Here is the trailer it’s all 1/4” steel angle and heavy as hell on leafs either just solid mounts! Going to brace the middle with smaller steel and add a barn door half gate on the back of it! If it was a little bigger I’d add leafs and 2k axle but I don’t see the need for all that it’ll have a generator on it most the time and will haul axles,scrap metal and landscaping crap on property for now!
77C9C2B1-CE47-4DC4-A62B-56A864E163D1.jpeg
image.jpg

Not sure about the tongue tube it’s 1/4” also but I may replace it with square tube while I’m at it will be adding some triangles bc it tips a ittle to left and right! Will install a 2 5/16” ball instead of 1 7/8 bc all my hitches are 2 5/16 already!

I know our doing this on the cheap but a new axle from northern is only like $65.
Yeah I went ahead and rethought entire trailer new axle,leafs,tongue and 1.5 square tube top rail! Been to busy to put wood down on floor yet but I’ll finish it up soon also still looking for a cheap CHEVY or Jeep tailgate for the back of it!

I know our doing this on the cheap but a new axle from northern is only like $65.

An aspiring welder can build an axle with plate square tube and junk yard xj hub bearings for fun.;)

An aspiring welder can build an axle with plate square tube and junk yard xj hub bearings for fun.;)
After buying and installing all the new crap I discovered this and would have been nice to know before bc I had wheels and tires already for xj and a d30... smdh maybe next trailer I’ll def be building my own axle tho bc now I get employee prices for metal!! This inspiring welder really wants to build my toy hauler for truggy and I believe I can motivate the boss to assist bc he’s a big car guy and buys Old trucks often and asked if I had a 16’ to go get a 51 Chevy in South Dakota I said nope but I’ll buy metal and we can build one tho lol

Back