Trailer Brakes

I'll second the Prodigy...Nice controller. Love mine in the Superduty.

etjeep said:
Got the Prodigy last week and plan to install this weekend. It came with the '03 harness. Hopefully they shipped the right one and its plug and play or I'll have to swing down to the dealership next week and pick up a factory harness.

The GM harness that came with the controller went in easy. The rest of the install was simple. I picked up a fuse and towed with it this weekend and it worked great.

OK...gonna need some help...just gonna resurrect another old thread that relates...

I hope to be picking up a tow rig and trailer this week...

'92 F-250...need to add a brake controller...doesn't look like there's a plug in harness available (starts with the '94)...

trailer has brakes on both axles...but I'm not sure if it has a 6-pin or 7-pin, so I can't buy that now...

I figure I could go ahead and order the controller, though...

is this the Prodigy unit I'm after?

http://www.etrailer.com/Merchant2/m...re_Code=E&Product_Code=90185&Category_Code=BC

(found it $30 cheaper at the place linked to earlier, Truck Xpressions)...

is this the only other thing I need? (assuming the trailer is 7-pin):

http://www.etrailer.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=E&Product_Code=ETBC7

sounds like I might also need a 4-way to start with?

Just trying to get my ducks in a row so it's ready to use by 3/11 at DPG...

maybe just order the controller, and then wait til truck and trailer are in my possession to decide the rest, and might be able to pick that stuff up local?

Greg

That's the Prodigy unit I got.

You could check now and see what Tom Johnson's RV center has for the wiring kit. They're the big RV dealership off Speedway Blvd. I'd think they would have what you need there and from what I've seen their prices on towing equipment aren't too bad. That would give you a local place to pick up what you need to finish your wiring.

Tractor supply may be another good resource. They have a fairly good selection of towing stuff there as well.

Jeff

There should be a plug for the controller under the dash, near the transmission hump. Should have four wires. Our 1/2t had it in 92, even came with a factory pigtail for the brake controller.

There should also be a 7-pin factory plug for the trailer on the bumper. If there's not, there should be two 4-pin plugs tucked into the left side frame rail right next to the bumper. If you have those, you can nab the 7-pin trailer pigtail from a junkyard. The only thing you might have to do is add a relay for the trailer parking lamps.

Hopefully that's the case. It'll save you some time.

saf-t scissors said:
There should be a plug for the controller under the dash, near the transmission hump. Should have four wires. Our 1/2t had it in 92, even came with a factory pigtail for the brake controller.

There should also be a 7-pin factory plug for the trailer on the bumper. If there's not, there should be two 4-pin plugs tucked into the left side frame rail right next to the bumper. If you have those, you can nab the 7-pin trailer pigtail from a junkyard. The only thing you might have to do is add a relay for the trailer parking lamps.

Hopefully that's the case. It'll save you some time.

thanks...the truck is Ken's former tow rig, and he pulled a Prodigy out of it, so it shouldn't be too rough to get one back in...

the trailer does have the standard 7-pin connector, but I'll wait til I have it in hand to buy the rest of the wiring...so look for some more questions this weekend...;)

Greg

Back