Trailer deck replacement options.

skyhighZJ

Thanks for your taxes
Got a 16’ trailer from a buddy. 2 x 6k axles both braking. Need to replace a couple deck board now (2x10x16’) Rest will come later. Given current market for lumber I’m trying to stay “cheaper-ish”. Do I buy treated? Do I buy white wood and treat it? If the later whats the best to coat it? I have lots of diesel/ used oil to soak them. Or standard bear deck stain or…. Big priorities are getting it mechanically functional again. Lights, brakes but the floor needs attention too. What say yee….

Me: I go PT wood, too many possibilities with non treated but if you soak them in used motor oil I want pictures and outcomes reports hah

1.5" square tube to make up the gap and a few sheets of diamond plate. I love my steel deck trailer.

@Jody Treadway gave me advice when i did mine. I know it was kdat (kiln dried after treatment) lumber he recommended but can't remember what the max width board he recommended was. I know I used 2x8.

I redecked a 16’ car hauler a few months ago using rough sawn white oak. I treated the sides and bottoms with a few heavy coats of ATF. I waited a few months and just hit the tops with 2 heavy coats of ATF.

The ATF absorbs quickly leaving a protected surface, but not slippery at all. I’ll throw another coat on it later this summer.

I just did one this last year. 2x8 PT from Lowes.

I saw one on another forum where the guy used big c channel instead of wood. Maybe 10 in wide

I know this thread is a couple months old but I figure I'd chime in because I just went through this. I used non pressure treated yellow pine picked up from Home Depot. I then coated it with Valspar transparent redwood deck stain that I picked up from Lowes. I've done the motor oil in the past but wanted something a little different this time. Time will tell how well the deck stain holds up but I think it looks sweet.

Here is the old deck board I replaced

ImdQyhF.jpg

And here's the new stained deck boards.

PkyLM6z.jpg

I have a 20’ trailer, 18’ deck, 2’dove, and I’ve had a hell of a time trying to locate 18 or 20’ 2x8 to replace the deck.

I went with rough sawn white oak. I soaked bottom and sides with used ATF. I’ve since coated the top a couple times with the same…. I’ll hit the top again before weather sets in for the winter. I’ll get pics posted tomorrow.

Back