Trailer deck wood

My old 5x8 utility trailer needs a new wood deck. It is 29 yrs old and still has the original treated wood deck. It is still OK for most work, but a small chunk about 2" broke off of one board in the middle and now it loses material going down the road when I haul dirt, gravel etc. I'm not really knowledgeable on treated wood, but I believe they changed the chemicals used about 15-20 yrs ago, so I probably won't get 29 yrs out of the next wood deck I install. I was planning on going with 2x10's or 2x12's just to make installation easier, but maybe I will go with 2x8's since Jody is recommending those.
The "new" stuff is MCA treated and it is much less corrosive and damaging environmentally.
The old stuff was called CCA and was the bomb, but somewhat poisonous and also very corrosive. It is only used now in heavy retention apps and DOT projects.
I highly recommend spending a little extra for KDAT #1 material.

Like someone already said, treated wood now, is not the same treated wood of 30 years ago. I helped stain some trailers many years ago, while helping on a farm. And like someone said, we used motor oil, thinned a little bit with Kero, or Diesel, and let it sit and soak in, in full hot sun for days. Once it quit soaking in, it was wiped dry, and done. I know of at least two of those trailers still pulling loads. I did this with my old Hudson when I replaced the decking, and I will do this with my new trailer. Should have already done it.

my trailer is 4'x7', i buy a sheet of 3/4 treated plywood from lowes about every 5 years and replace it. dont even bolt it down. have lowes cut a foot off one end and toss it in there. i have expanded metal on the sides and the board isnt going anywhere. i tried a 1/2" piece one time and it lasted about 2 years before it was trashed.

Funny that this post came up. Last Saturday, my son and I finally re-decked our 18’ PJ trailer that we haul the Samurai and tractor on. It had the original decking and has stayed in the weather uncovered since I bought it new in 2003. Had a few boards starting to get bad on me, especially on the rear dovetail. About 4 or 5 of them were rotted and gone, Lol. I figured I have about $250 in the whole re-deck project between the treated 2x8 and 2x6 lumber, torx deck screws, bits, etc. Should last me for another 10 years at least. Once the new boards cure a little I may soak it in something like oil and kerosene mix or Thompson’s.

*edit* still have to weld the steel rub strip back in place over the break at the the dovetail after my harness and center lights get here in the mail and I finish fastening the last few boards on the dovetail. Can’t fasten them due to access to harness.

F303A868-BC6B-4885-AB1F-2B1034958222.jpeg
569949E8-503C-4791-B845-BFC3820CE599.jpeg

Personally I buy rough cut red/white oak lumber from local sawmill that I found in Reidsville area on CL. Can send info along to interested parties but great prices and I buy enough at a time to cover an entire 48' x 102" flatbed trailer! I have bought 2 or 3 'loads' from him so far. I think in future I will get the 6-8" wide planks, he had some that he gave me last time at 10-12" wide because why not? But my installer did not like them as much.

These are obviously used and abused every single day, the cost is a fraction of the super duper stuff mentioned above (less than $500 to do my entire flatbed) and the 'hardness' scale of the various woods is why I picked oak vs the yellow/white pine, etc. Was about 20% more for the oak compared to the pine when i quoted local sawmills.

So just my 2 cents, start with CL and search for timber, sawmill, etc and see if you can find a local guy or just look for that guy on the side of the road that always has a bunch of firewood and stuff piled up and stop by and ask them.

Back