Trailer Decking

Lurch830

messin' with sasquatch
Is rough cut lumber better for trailer decks or should I just go with pressure treated? I need to put down a new deck on my trailer and had a guy down the street from my folks with a sawmill said he'd cut my boards, but I haven't heard back from him in a month or two so I'm looking elsewhere.

If rough cut is better, does anyone have a source for rough cut lumber in or between Stanly or Granville county? Whatever I go with, I plan on coating the boards with either ATF, motor oil or a sealant (if rough cut I may try charring them) after touching up the paint and rewiring everything. ?

If you can get rough cut hardwood, then in my opinion that is better, but you will want to treat it somehow. Ideally before it is installed, because you really need to get all 4 sides. If pine, I'd rather have treated. Board maintenance and durability is the main reason I have a steel deck on my trailer.

If you can get rough cut hardwood, then in my opinion that is better, but you will want to treat it somehow. Ideally before it is installed, because you really need to get all 4 sides. If pine, I'd rather have treated. Board maintenance and durability is the main reason I have a steel deck on my trailer.
The guy down the road from my folks was supposed to be getting a fell white oak from Greensboro & I told him I'd haul it for him to offset some cost. If I do rough cut it will be white oak and I plan on getting enough to do the C30 bedsides too. I thought about swapping to a metal deck, but I just don't have time to fab & add the spacers and weld everything up.

I'm a big fan of white oak, but don't expect more than 8-10 years out of it if left un-treated and in weather.
I would definitely treat it before installation, the pressure treated that came on it lasted ~10 years.

Rough sawn white oak fan treated with ATF.

Shot me a PM if you’re willing to drive to Apex. I know a guy out there that’ll cut and sell you what you need.
The more I look into it, the more I'm leaning towards charring them & coating in ATF.
I may take you up on that, I can always take the southern route through Apex to Albemarle.

If you go with PT, call a real yard (not Lowe's or HD) and order kiln dried after treatment (KDAT). Go ahead and seal/stain it as it will be dry enough to take it. Spend a little more up front for much better quality boards that way.

If you go with PT, call a real yard (not Lowe's or HD) and order kiln dried after treatment (KDAT). Go ahead and seal/stain it as it will be dry enough to take it. Spend a little more up front for much better quality boards that way.
Do this and call this dooder! If your like me you'll receive some of the Purtiest boards you laid eyes on. Then you'll proceed to bury them in the shop under work and they never wear out or see moisture. They last forever that way! 🤓😢😢

Do this and call this dooder! If your like me you'll receive some of the Purtiest boards you laid eyes on. Then you'll proceed to bury them in the shop under work and they never wear out or see moisture. They last forever that way! 🤓😢😢
And if they're lucky, @thebrotherinlaw will deliver them and milk the clock for a couple hours while he makes a new friend!

Back