Trailer gross & license...HBO

Caver Dave

Just holdin' it down here in BFV
Seems like in the past few weeks(?), there was a great, informative discussion regarding a trailers rated gross & the requirements for appropriate licensing (Class A/B/C)... but I can't find it to save my life! :mad:

Since I've found no such rating rating on my trailer (other than the coupler being stamped "10,000#"), I'd like to find this info again...

:beer:

general rules are class C is normal license...

class B is GVWR of 26,000 lbs or more, and the trailer has to be less than 10,000 lbs...

class A is GVWR of 26,000 lbs or more, and the trailer can be over 10,000 lbs...

there are issues with private vs. for-hire, etc, that I really don't know...

I have a Class B CDL (with a P endorsement) to drive the church bus...

Greg

NC_Mog said:
Notice that its based on the rating of the trailer and not the actual weight you'll haul.

same thing with number of passengers...

you can't drive an empty bus without a CDL...but you could drive a 15-passenger van with 20 people crammed in it...

it's all about rating and/or what the equipment is designed for...

Greg

There is really several parts.

1 - Paying taxes (weighted tag) for the total weight of your entire truck/trailer/contents.
2 - Having a licence that shows you demonstrated proper skilz to drive the vehicle you're driving. (Class A,B, Bus, etc)
3 - Having equipment that is rated to hold/carry the load you have. That's per your VIN #s on the truck and trailer.

Any of the above could result in various tickets. IMHO the top one being the easiest to get in trouble for AND the easiest to address. Just get your weighted tag for your gross weight.

Followed by #2 having the license for the above gross weight/combination.

and 3rd the last one IMHO would involve more work/effort on the DOT officer. This would be you hauling 5 ton in an under rated truck or the 20 people in a 15 passanger van example.

Caver Dave said:
Seems like in the past few weeks(?), there was a great, informative discussion regarding a trailers rated gross & the requirements for appropriate licensing (Class A/B/C)... but I can't find it to save my life! :mad:
Since I've found no such rating rating on my trailer (other than the coupler being stamped "10,000#"), I'd like to find this info again...

Is you trailer new or store/shop made?
It should be on your title or reg card.
Home built, it is what you say it is.
I think the big thing with trailers is that if you never give them a chance to look at the paper work you will be Ok but if that reason doing something they think is unsafe or getting in a wreck they could hit you hard.
Kind of like driving with out a license if you have it taken- may be able to do it 6 months but the 7th you hit a license check you will get it hard.
Driving/pulling a 10001 lb up trailer could be that way. If you hit someone or get hit and they check (and they will) you are not licensed to tow that they will hit you hard with a ticket.

Jon

SO let me get this straight. I have a 2500hd, gvw is 9200 lbs. dry weight is 5200 pounds. I have a 14,000 lb gross gooseneck trailer (4k dry).

What i THINK I need is a weighted tag (b/c the trailer is over 10K lbs) and a class A non CDL license.

Sound right to everyone?

Thats the story that I get , I have a Class A CDL and I put a 22,000 lb. tag on my truck .(better safe than sorry) I am driving a Dodge 2500 Cummins Diesel and pulling a 29 ft gooseneck with a rating of 14,000.

MR. GADGET said:
Is you trailer new or store/shop made?
It should be on your title or reg card.
Home built, it is what you say it is.
I think the big thing with trailers is that if you never give them a chance to look at the paper work you will be Ok but if that reason doing something they think is unsafe or getting in a wreck they could hit you hard.
Kind of like driving with out a license if you have it taken- may be able to do it 6 months but the 7th you hit a license check you will get it hard.
Driving/pulling a 10001 lb up trailer could be that way. If you hit someone or get hit and they check (and they will) you are not licensed to tow that they will hit you hard with a ticket.
Jon
It is a "store bought" trailer... the title from the original owner said "Hudson" brand, but had no weights listed... when my new title came for it, it has no weights listed either. I figured there must be a plate/rating on it somewhere, but I can't find it or it fell off during the 10 years the PO owned it (was construction trailer purchased to haul a Bobcat). He had 4000# axles put on it (6 lug LoadRange "D" trailer tires).
The *only* thing I see stamped is the coupler rating (as stated before 10,000#), but I've confirmed it replaced a pintle or another coupler years ago.
I agree heartily with you on "just wait for something bad to happen and the man will come down! I've got a weighted tag (13K#) for the F250, figuring 6000 for the truck (fueled, but empty otherwise), 2200# for the trailer (confirmed twice on 2 different scales ) and 4000# for the Moss (pretty dang close, but it's been awhile since she was on the scales)... which adds up to 12,200# giving me 800# for gear. Seems I read that DMV will give you the 999# over, but crack at 1000# over? (figuring to plead stupidity if ever weighed and it's over :D )
Anyways, the trailer ain't never gonna see 10K (doubtfull I could move it!), but I wanted to play it safe and do what's needed. *IF* 10,001# is the magic number, I should be good to go...

Caver Dave said:
It is a "store bought" trailer... the title from the original owner said "Hudson" brand, but had no weights listed... when my new title came for it, it has no weights listed either. I figured there must be a plate/rating on it somewhere, but I can't find it or it fell off during the 10 years the PO owned it (was construction trailer purchased to haul a Bobcat). He had 4000# axles put on it (6 lug LoadRange "D" trailer tires).
The *only* thing I see stamped is the coupler rating (as stated before 10,000#), but I've confirmed it replaced a pintle or another coupler years ago.
I agree heartily with you on "just wait for something bad to happen and the man will come down! I've got a weighted tag (13K#) for the F250, figuring 6000 for the truck (fueled, but empty otherwise), 2200# for the trailer (confirmed twice on 2 different scales ) and 4000# for the Moss (pretty dang close, but it's been awhile since she was on the scales)... which adds up to 12,200# giving me 800# for gear. Seems I read that DMV will give you the 999# over, but crack at 1000# over? (figuring to plead stupidity if ever weighed and it's over :D )
Anyways, the trailer ain't never gonna see 10K (doubtfull I could move it!), but I wanted to play it safe and do what's needed. *IF* 10,001# is the magic number, I should be good to go...

Your good, Yours sounds like the 4 ton they have been making for some time.
Could call Hudson Brothers in Charlotte with the vin and they should be able to help. I would not want to have a tag (vin weight tag)on it with out the correct DL to pull it if you know what I mean.
Just an FYI all the trailer makers do things different on weight.
Some do the max load say 5 ton will carry 5 ton some do total weight 5 ton will carry 7500 + trailer 2500 = 5 ton max and so on.
Also what I found the place in Wendell that makes them and it has two axles 5000 lb+- and trailer weight is 2500 lb+- so they call it 12,000 lb 6 ton.
Most trailers with 5k axles are called a 10,000 lb max trailer and they call their trailer 12,000 lb max because they factor a 2500 lb ball weight from a dump truck not what most people pull with and it saying 12000 lb makes you need the different class license.
Jon

Thanks Jon! Never thought to lookup the manufacturer!

I sent an email asking if they could tell me about the trailer by VIN... who knows, they may be able to reissue a plate for it?

Just heard back from Eddie Hudson (VERY helpfull BTW :smokin: )...
Seems the trailer has a GVWR of 10,000# (and he's sending me a new tag)...
So my next question is: Do I need the Class A to be legal or is the break at 10,001# :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Caver Dave said:
Just heard back from Eddie Hudson (VERY helpfull BTW :smokin: )...
Seems the trailer has a GVWR of 10,000# (and he's sending me a new tag)...
So my next question is: Do I need the Class A to be legal or is the break at 10,001# :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Most places do 9990 or 9999 (Just like gun barrels 16 law rifle 16.5" to be safe and 18.5" when 18" is the law on a shotgun) but as DMV told me it is more then 10,000 so I ask 10001 and he said yes that is more then 10000.
So from what he said its 10001 or more. I know they had some 4500 axles when I talked to them about building me one, so it sounds on the number if yours is say 4500 x2 =9000 plus 1000 ball weight goes 10,000.
That is what I was talking about the way trailers are done.
Kraftsman Trailers take the Axle weight and thats it.
Two 5k = a 10K trailer or in your case 2 4k-4.5 would be a 8k-9k if they made it. I found a lot off car haulers that had 2 3.5k and they called it a 8K trailer saying 1k on the ball.
Jon

Back