Trailer Improvements

BNielsen

I looked around for a thread pertaining to this, but I couldn't find anything.
I'm looking at making a few improvements to my trailer; I bought this thing brand new in 2019. It's a Carry On 20-foot 10K equipment trailer, I was excited to have a trailer but there's always been a few things I haven't liked about it, mainly the flip up ramps and lack of side rail/lack of better places tie-down points.

I started mulling around getting rid of it in favor of a 22' steel deck dove tail equipment trailer; but wait times and sky-rocketing prices made me rethink it. I paid around $3400 for this thing brand spanking new. So, what's another couple hundred bucks in improvements here and there?

I started by sealing the deck. I struggled with what to use, motor oil, bedliner, even doing the torch thing to "cure" the lumber. I settled on Kilz Over Armor, it went on decent and it's got a nice texture to it, I'll probably need to do a second coat depending on how tough it is.
Before
EBJvPq5.jpg

MhCF5Zy.jpg

After
zDeGzhq.jpg

qFcfGtW.jpg

Next was addressing the less-than-stellar tie downs. With nothing behind the fenders I've had to cross straps over anything loaded between the fenders. I threw a couple pieces of E-track rails on the deck, and I hope to weld a rail along the stake pockets to resolve the tie down struggles.
Shiny
4tO9Net.jpg

Shiny be gone
VNjAUib.jpg

I couldn't find black hardware; but as aggressive as these screws are, I can get over the shiny finish.
VoF57nN.jpg

FBVaXhw.jpg

uZSa6w4.jpg

Next big things are a spare tire carrier, hack up the fenders to make removable to acquire new fenders to make removable, ditching the heavy ass steel ramps in favor of some lighter heavy duty aluminum ones, and then little stuff like better tires and rims as well as cosmetics like touching up the paint here and there, changing out the running lights for some brighter LEDs, and adding work lights to the front rail and under the back of the trailer.
Anyone else got any tips or suggestions for making improvements? I feel like I've got a lot of my bases covered, but there's always a nagging feeling of forgetting something.

Backup lights. Probably the best thing I did to my trailer. Next best would be the spare tire mount. I took a piece of 2x3 rectangle tube, notched one end to fit a stake pocket and drilled a hole on the other end and welded a spindle to it. On the spindle I have a spare trailer hub and the spare tire mounts to the hub. I can move it around the stake pockets based on what I'm hauling, or toss it in the back of the truck if it gets in the way.

Duane

Backup lights. Probably the best thing I did to my trailer. Next best would be the spare tire mount. I took a piece of 2x3 rectangle tube, notched one end to fit a stake pocket and drilled a hole on the other end and welded a spindle to it. On the spindle I have a spare trailer hub and the spare tire mounts to the hub. I can move it around the stake pockets based on what I'm hauling, or toss it in the back of the truck if it gets in the way.

Duane
I was planning on a set of lights wired in that I can get out and flip on to serve as reverse/work lights, I've got 2 different sets of lights wired to the cargo switch in my truck so I've got backing lights pretty well covered, but I could always use more.
The spare tire carrier with a spare bearing mounted on it is a smart idea, I was just going to get a generic stake pocket style from E-Trailer.

Not sure what you’re hauling, but I’d be hesitant to strap a vehicle to those tie down points you screwed to the deck. I always liked these stake pocket D-rings. Get a set of 4 and use in any combination of stake pockets to accommodate what you’re hauling. They’re all over the internet. Just measure yours first.

2B002C88-960B-4779-8990-E71D29B39B99.jpeg

Also, it looks like you could benefit from some torsion springs added to those ramps to make them easier to lift and lower.

0021D3A1-0890-4396-946C-B5A8ECED6C11.jpeg

Not sure what you’re hauling, but I’d be hesitant to strap a vehicle to those tie down points you screwed to the deck. I always liked these stake pocket D-rings. Get a set of 4 and use in any combination of stake pockets to accommodate what you’re hauling. They’re all over the internet. Just measure yours first.

View attachment 369786
Cars and trucks mainly, like I stated above I am also planning on welding a rail to the side for better tie down points.
I've got a set of those inserts and I absolutely hate them, I need to order a better set to replace the Chinesium set I currently have; they're hot garbage.
Also, it looks like you could benefit from some torsion springs added to those ramps to make them easier to lift and lower.

View attachment 369787
Funny enough, the factory I work in makes those springs for Gatormade.
I was wanting to ditch the ramps regardless since I can't haul anything on it without having to move the vehicle up to where it's almost too much tongue weight, and I can always make longer retainer bars so the ramps sit further back, but these ramps have pissed me off so much in the past I've pretty much made my mind up

I have a 22', 14K trailer, I have two full size tool boxes mounted front to rear on each side, a 15 gallon fuel cell, a battery for my winch, a receiver mounted vertical to mount my camper steps and a place to put both of my camping coolers. I mounted my 43" spare as well as my trailer spare between my fenders (since I have drive over fenders. When I had it built, I had the deck made as wide as my fenders, so I don't have stake pockets. But I do like the stake pocket mounts that Brian posted a pic of.

I was planning on a set of lights wired in that I can get out and flip on to serve as reverse/work lights, I've got 2 different sets of lights wired to the cargo switch in my truck so I've got backing lights pretty well covered, but I could always use more.
I also had sufficient "backup" lighting, but found it never extended to the rear of the trailer (angle/shadows from whatever was on the trailer) 20+ feet away...
My current trailer parking is akin to weaving the WallyWorld parking lot in reverse... with "Steel Reserve" 40's on BOGO, on one of the bimonthly "check" weekends 🤣
Having lights on the arse end of the trailer is a game changer!

I wanted better backup lighting on my car hauler. I ended up adding a 16” LED light bar behind the rear axle, attached to the under side of the wood deck. The light shines 120°, illuminating the entire area behind the trailer including around the tires.

The light bar was wired into the reverse light harness on the trailer. I may add switched power to have them available as just supplemental lighting.

I wanted better backup lighting on my car hauler. I ended up adding a 16” LED light bar behind the rear axle, attached to the under side of the wood deck. The light shines 120°, illuminating the entire area behind the trailer including around the tires.
I like it!
Since I've driven over mine "several" times and am out of replacement brackets 🙄 AND the new axle width ain't gonna help them AT ALL

Back