Trailer tires: Is there such a thing as a GOOD 14.5" tire?

jeepinmatt

..l.
Need to put a couple new tires on my trailer, and I'm stuck with the 14.5" mobile home style wheels and tires. I bought some a few years ago, and they wore out quicker than the really old ones that I was replacing. I'm pretty sure the old ones are made of plastic instead of rubber, which is fine for wear, but sucks for braking traction. Anyway, should I just get the cheapest thing I can find because they all suck? Or try to hunt down a Goodyear or maybe Maxxis version and pay a little more for it?

The ones on my trailer are rated at 80 or 90 psi, so that's something to consider if popping tires.

I can't add much here cuz I want to get rid of mine. Can't believe you haven't figured out how to machine a 5 lug patten into the drums.

....to answer the question,

"Is there such a thing as a GOOD 14.5" tire?"

...No.

I have heard a couple of "facts" about these tars.

They were designed for on road use one time, such as on a mobile home.

Or...

They have an incredibly low speed rating and they generally do go boom above that speed!

I think that's why they made em 14.5", and only in a Dayton wheel configuration. So no one would put them on their car. You can get away with higher speeds, but it's really hit and miss!

The ones on my trailer are rated at 80 or 90 psi, so that's something to consider if popping tires.

I can't add much here cuz I want to get rid of mine. Can't believe you haven't figured out how to machine a 5 lug patten into the drums.
Funny you mention that. I drew up a Solidworks model for a MH 5 lug to 8x6.5 adapter. But between material cost and studs, it would have been almost as cheap to just buy 2 new 8 lug axles and sell my existing ones for like $100. I'll be glad to share the file if you want it, haha. If I remember correctly, the cast center just didn't have any material to work with for putting a different bolt pattern.

I have heard a couple of "facts" about these tars.

They were designed for on road use one time, such as on a mobile home.

Or...

They have an incredibly low speed rating and they generally do go boom above that speed!

I think that's why they made em 14.5", and only in a Dayton wheel configuration. So no one would put them on their car. You can get away with higher speeds, but it's really hit and miss!
There are "Not for Highway Service" ones and DOT approved, dated, road legal production tires. My "Not for Highway Service" ones are the ones that have actually held up BETTER than the legit ones...

What he said. They're all cheap ass, Chinese made, bias ply, throw aways. When the crew moved in my house, they said if they last the whole trip from the manufacturer to the set up site, they're happy.

Most of the 14.5" tires I've ever seen have been Deestone or Hi-Run.

My HEAVY ass 5x8 utility trailer has a cut-down mobile home axle under it with 14.5" tires. The trailer was new when I got it at 16 yrs old and I towed it all over the place without failure. Fast forward to about the age of 30, and one of the tires let go on I-40 on the way to Brown Mountain one Saturday morning. Never had a spare, LOL. I limped on down the road to the nearest exit and actually got lucky by finding a tire store that had 14.5" tires. He put two on, and they are the same ones on there today 12 yrs later. Still look good and work fine. I had 5,500 lbs of rip-rap on that trailer about 2 yrs ago for three trips, lol. I will check tonight and see what brand they are.

We've had better luck with the 8-14.5s than the 7-14.5s. We have bought some new ones from Argi Supply (they're right at 100 bucks new with a rim) and we've bought mobile home take offs for 25 to 50 a piece. I think in 15 years of wheeling we've had less than 5 flats between 3 trailers.

Duane

Mine are Tow Master brand. One has a dry crack forming. Not bad for 12 yrs old.

I have two trailers with them. I go to Hudson and get new ones with rims for $100 each. I run 80-90 psi in them and they last me a good year or two but I run one trailer every work day. If you ever get a hole in one, replace it because a plug won't stay in them. I have no idea what brand the ones I get are.

Back