Trailer winch battery

shocker998md

Hey guys,

Before I bite the bullet I'd like to get some thoughts. I have a deck over equipment trailer that I use a harbor freight 12k winch on. I'm Normally dragging junk cars and scrap up with it. Normally I just grab a loose battery from something, vice grip the cables on and use it. Then when done charge it back up.

I'm wanting to buy a dedicated winch battery and either run a solar trickle charger on it, or tab in to the 7 wire plug to charge it while hooked up.

What battery would you buy for this task? Normally I just go with the best warranty at the best price advance auto or Walmart battery due to ease of replacement if needed. Thanks for any input.

A deep cycle battery would be your best bet. I have a quick connect under my hood on my tow vehicle and run a long extension to hook up to it when needed. It's not as convenient as a dedicated battery though.

A set of quick connect plugs, some 1/0 welding lead and hardwire it to the battery on the truck. If you don’t want to mess with long leads every time, run the truck end of the quick connect back to the bumper near your hitch.

Biggest 3yr free replacement battery you can find at Walmart.
This. They have a really good price on marine deep cycle batteries. This is whats going on my trailer with a charger that I'll plug in once a month. Never had much luck with the small solar trickle chargers.

I was thinking just grab the biggest Walmart special. I normally have a jump pack with me if I forget to charge it.

I don't want to complicate it since my winch isn't permetley fixed to that trailer, it's in a hitch basket and has been swapped around a few times.

Thanks guys

When I rebuilt my trailer last year I went wired in route. I think its cleaner IMO. I used biggest battery I could snag and wired it in for constant trickle charge from the truck trailer wiring. If you have trailer brakes, also a great way to ensure they are gonna get power.

Attachments

• IMG_6303.jpg
    IMG_6303.jpg
    265.5 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_6310.jpg
    IMG_6310.jpg
    246.1 KB · Views: 135
Back