Trailering a tractor with no chains or straps

justjeepin86

Two times in the last week I have passed idiots towing a tandem trailer with at tractor and nothing tying it down to the damn trailer. They would wish they really had it strapped if they have an accident. Especially if someone else gets hurt by it.

I was behind a landscape trailer yesterday on Capital in Raleigh. Every stoplight his zero turn would roll foward, when he took off, it would slam into the ramp gate. Must be hell on the hydrostatic.

I think I posted this here already....

From the owner's manual on my new Kubota:

Transport the Tractor Safely
The tractor, if damaged, must be carried on a truck. Secure the tractor tightly with ropes.

So...rope is an option, too. Or the twine from Lowes.

Two times in the last week I have passed idiots towing a tandem trailer with at tractor and nothing tying it down to the damn trailer. They would wish they really had it strapped if they have an accident. Especially if someone else gets hurt by it.

I see this a lot in my daily travels, or if it is tied, its a couple cheap binder straps.

i've seen a guy unload a bobcat from a tandem axle dump trailer the hard way, he was damn lucky it missed other vehicles AND stayed on its wheels, it wasn't pretty or graceful.

Friend of mine started hauling heavy equipment a few years back. No one instructed him on the CORRECT way to secure an excavator. I rode with him on one trip and all that was holding the equipment to the trailer was four screw binders connected to the tracks (and by tracks, I mean one single link per binder). I questioned it, stating that method can't be correct as it wasn't really securing anything solid. He wasn't sure, but fortunately did learn that he needed chains and binders securing the frame to the trailer.

Isn't it 4 points minimum and 1 for each attachment. Or something like that from the DOT. I use four ratchet chain binders on the body of my tractor with chains. Then I use one for the loader and one for anything on the three point attachment.

DOT will burn them a new one. They prefer enough to pull the trailer over with it.Which I did see in Hickory when I was younger. Pretty amazing sight.

Friend of mine started hauling heavy equipment a few years back. No one instructed him on the CORRECT way to secure an excavator. I rode with him on one trip and all that was holding the equipment to the trailer was four screw binders connected to the tracks (and by tracks, I mean one single link per binder). I questioned it, stating that method can't be correct as it wasn't really securing anything solid. He wasn't sure, but fortunately did learn that he needed chains and binders securing the frame to the trailer.
That's how i have always done it. Anything else gets minimum of 2 straps per item/bundle. Never had a problem with anything I loaded.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I thought there had to be a law about it. I didn't look. It's too much to ask for people to have common sense though. I would laugh my ass off if I saw a tractor or piece of equipment laying in a ditch from them cornering too fast. Let's just hope that no one has to pay the ultimate price for their stupidity.

I wish I had taken a picture of it, but a few years back I saw a guy hauling a full size pickup with one ratchet strap up and over the bed, side to side.

you could apply this conversation to rigs on the trail. i have seen numerous rigs with all kinds of crap piled in the back and not one single strap. not only do you stand a chance of that crap bashing in your noggin if you roll, that load shifting may be the reason you end up rolling.

you could apply this conversation to rigs on the trail. i have seen numerous rigs with all kinds of crap piled in the back and not one single strap. not only do you stand a chance of that crap bashing in your noggin if you roll, that load shifting may be the reason you end up rolling.
Buddy of mine has been smashed in the head with a fire extinguisher, and a small nitrogen cylinder ( like a oxy/act torch cylinder, but about 10-15# fire extinguisher sized) three times now. Still no straps in his buggy.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Back