Trans rebuild recommendation for 92 Dodge CTD - tight budget - tips/tricks?

thecarman

Need trans rebuild recommendation for 92 Dodge CTD - tight budget - tips/tricks?

My friend has a 1992 Dodge 2WD dually with the Cummins and auto. Totally stock, 127,000 miles. His dad was the original owner. In addition to being a daily driver, they have towed a lot with it, including some big gooseneck trailers (horses and tomatoes).

2 days ago his truck started making noise, whining and rattling (his description, I haven't heard it). He got under the truck with it on stands and said the noise is coming from the front of the trans when it is put in gear.

Assuming that his trans needs to be rebuilt, what *budget* stuff should he have done to it during the rebuild? He does not have enough money to get an aftermarket trans like DTS, and he has no plan to bomb this truck in the future. Are there cheap things (like shift kit, modifications, or upgraded parts) that he should have a trans shop include as part of a stock rebuild to help the longevity of this trans?

Thanks!
Richard

At least his '92 doesn't have a lockup TC, so he should be OK re-using the original TC. I'd say a valve body would be a good investment, but if it's lasted 125k, he's doing something right...

The BIGGEST factor is a trans rebuild is the person doing it. Spending the time to build the trans on the tight side of spec and other things like that are what make or break a rebuild.

DTT (www.dieseltrans.com) sells master overhaul kits for a few hundred that has all the good parts for a rebuild. These same "soft parts" are used in every rebuild from stock to 600+ hp, so it's the good stuff.

Screw ATS.

I suppose, I just didn't get the impression that the tranny fragged. Sounded like it's just worn.

I suppose debris could get caught in the vanes, but that the lock-up clutches were what normally gets worn out & damages when the tranny goes?

genrally it just a good call to replace the converter because it is full of all tha old contamiated fluid (i.e. clutch material and some metal from normal wear) and rattling and whining is assocatiated in my experence with a toqure converter

Sorry for the delayed follow-up on this. He took it to a trans shop near Statesville.

Turned out the problem was some bearing in the tailshaft housing, and they did not have to pull the trans to fix it???

Also needed a cooler line fixed and some shifter linkage repair (internal to the trans?), and got out the door for like $450.

Later!
Richard

Back