Transmission about to go?

Jason924R

All of a sudden last night my transmission started making this clapping noise. Sounded like metal clapping together. Now, it grinds really bad and does not want to go after it starts. It happens in any gear, even reverse. Someone suggested to me that my transmission could have vibrated loose from the block and that is my flywheel hitting something. I don't know. I have included a video. I tried to compress it but no luck. Sorry for the size.
Thanks.
http://jason.herrjohannes.com/trannynoise.AVI

This one you can hear it after I start moving. It's only 2 sounds, but it might help clarify.
http://jason.herrjohannes.com/trannynoise2.AVI

Jason,
Drive it by tomorrow so I can hear it in person. I doubt it vibrated loose from the block.

Andy

WHAT TYPE OF TRANSMISSION? :smokin:

I presume A340H automatic.
Likely converter failure or front pump.
Pull the pan and look at the magnets...there are 6 in there. Full of metal filings? Likely the pump. Can be replaced in your driveway.
Same for converter.
Meter the two solenoids to make sure they are good...they route the fluid for each gear. I think 10-15 ohms is close.
Beyond these suggestions will require the help from a trans shop and lots of cash.
Rots of Ruck..

Anyone care to lend me a hand? :D Does this require dropping the transmission? If not then I might not need a hand, but I have a 5speed from a 91 4Runner. I didn't know that manual transmissions had torque converters.

Transfer case chain maybe? (I'm assuming you have the stock case?)

Sounds similar to my problem I had. I thought it was the tranny, and it ended up being the T case. I had ripped a bunch of gears out of it. Another thought, since you finally said it was a manual, is maybe a worn pressure plate, or the release bearing is got out of whack and is only depressing part of the pressure plate or is pushing through it.
I do think the only way to know is to tear it down and inspect it all.

All parts except the transmission itself were new and supplied by Marlin Crawler prior to install.

Jason, does it make noise when it is in neutral? Pull the driveshafts and run the tranny a little bit to see where the noise is coming from.....

Let me know if I can help
Thanks
Andy

Back