Transmission Installation problem

Akuma

Today I was in the process of re-installing a transmission into a 1978 CJ-5. Got the shaft about 3/4 of the way in and it just stopped dead. Pulled the transmission out to take a look at the problem and lo and behold a little ring... don't know what its called but it's in the very back has come unseated and is blocking the travel of the shaft.

Does anyone know of a way to fix this problem? I'm kind of stumped.

got a pic? Sounds like your pilot bushing came out? Id pull it out and make sure it slips over the input then try again, also if your not going in straight it might cause some problems..

get some longer bolts at the parts store 3/8" i think. cut the heads off and slot them on top so you can remove them later... Use em as guides to line things up.. I usually make one bottom side longer so i can use it to rotate it up on the othe others. Then heave hoo...

Post a pic if you can.. -mike

Heres the links to the files
Unfortunatly theres no way to get a small pic (MB wise) and it show all the detail I need. I use Ripway file hosting, if anyone has any problems accessing the files just let me know and i can move them to a different host.

You said to pull it out... I tried that and it seems to like its current location too much.

http://h1.ripway.com/NinjaCrackers/IMG_0007.JPG
http://h1.ripway.com/NinjaCrackers/IMG_0010.JPG

Those pics are about the best I can do right now because my dad is home and he seems to like leaning over my shoulder going "don't break my camera or theres gonna be hell to pay" and other threatening things of that nature.
Thanks for all the help.
Bryan

All of what Yager said, plus

Sounds as if you are describing the pilot bushing for sure. They usually do not come out so easy, so I would rethink putting that one back in. I would defiantly go with a new one. On that same note, why did you have the tranny out? As a rule of thumb( at least for me) I always replace the clutch, pressure plate, and release bearing when I pull a tranny. Just too much work not to, and they really are not that expensive. In your case I would do the pilot bushing as well. And don't forget to have the fly wheel surfaced as well.
When you get the tranny up and sliding it in it may stop still. with the studs to help line you up as Yager said, you may need to turn the tail shaft to get the splines all lined up.
Good luck

The tranny was out when i purchased the vehicle... today was just the lucky day for it to go back in.

I do think it might have been me putting the transmission not quite straight. I'm not sure I will look into replacing all the things mentioned.

any tips on getting the pilot bushing out to check? It is pretty well stuck where it is.

Thanks again

If you pulled the clutch set off you need an aligment tool. It looks way off center by looking at your pic. I've made a simple tool by using a socket extension and a deep well socket and another time i used a broom handle i ground a point on the grinder... With the pressure plate bolts kinda loose you insert the tool and kinda wiggle it to center things up (parts store has plastic tools for ~10$) then tighten bolts in a circle evenly. then remove tool, leaving disk centered. Once its all lined up when you push the tranny up in it will all fall into place. Like chip said you may need to turn the output *** to enguage the splines.

*** You didnt mention what tranny it is, but make sure you don't get the tranny out of wack by shifting the rails with out the shifter in there. Or carefully set it in an shift the lever with 2 hands to support it..

You'll get it, your on the right track..

Shade tree method of getting a pilot bushout out:

Pack the hole full of grease. Cut a broom stick, or dowell down to where it will be a tight fit into the center of the pilot bushing. Drive the stick in and the grease will force the bushing out.

Back