Transmission options

mbalbritton

#@$%!
So, just sitting here thinking about options to do with my old Commando. It currently has a carb’d 304 with the TH400/D20 combo.

One option I’m curious about is dropping an injected Chrysler 318 it, but what to back it up with? I want it to be an automatic, but I’m not about to drop that shit ass 42RE in there. What are some other options. Something I can put a D300 or D20 behind, otherwise I’ll have to swap the front axle too. Preferably something with an overdrive.

Why not ls swap?

46/47/48re.

The rh series is easily controlled with minimal wiring. There's several options to make it work.

One option I’m curious about is dropping an injected Chrysler 318 it, but what to back it up with?

I would look into a 5.9 (360) magnum motor for roughly the same cost as a 318. There getting really cheap! If you could find a half ton dodge from 94-95 you could score the magnum engine and the rh transmission from the same truck.

It currently has a carb’d 304 with the TH400/D20 combo.

If you like your current motor or want to stay AMC you could do fuel injection and swap a AW4 in there for overdrive.

yes they are good engines, arguably one of the best V8 engines made, but it has always annoyed me to see a chevy engine swapped into a Jeep.

Aside from that, I potentially have a 318 available for free. Yes, I know, free isn't always cheaper.
Just get a ls from a buick(or say you did) and tell the jeep snobs to suck it! I have a '69 waggy with the buick 350 and I plan to keep it pure with a ls and th400.

If AMC would have had the resources to drop a vortec 5.3 6.0 or 6.2 under the hood they would have.
In this day and age, the consumer has the resources to make it happen, so why not?
Brand purists make me laugh out loud.

Back