Tree cutting...

BigBody79

I need to cut a log that is blocking access up a small creek. Without talking the legalities of it all. What would be the best way to cut it. It is quite large. 30" plus. It is also half submerged. Trying to come up with a plan of attack. Tree goes from one side to the other blocking it all.

Any ideas?

Any way to cut it on both sides of the creek where it is not submerged, then winch it out of the way?

Agreed on the pictures.

Stump was on the bank. It fell in the water. Other side isnt good either. Cut in middle is the best bet. Even better it is 90% submerged. And huge. Water is low now. Still too deep to stand.

I agree w drkelly. I would try to use a winch. Also, if you have the time a come-along may work but it may rot before you are done! Look up a z drag. It is a way to use pulleys to amplify pulling power commonly used in white water rescue. You can add to a z drag and really move some stuff, often with one person. It would require a long static rope.

depending on how the stump is, if you cut it right, the stump sometimes stands itself back upright after you cut the trunk, so that may get half of it out of the way for ya. The other half is just going to be a PITA regardless sounds like.

I really appreaciate all of the ideas. it is going to take a huge winch to move this bad boy. The 30" is not cirucm. it is diameter. It's big.

But it basically boils down to there is a gaint tree that needs to be cut that is mostly in the water. Best I can tell at least some of the cut is going to have to be in the water.

Any ideas on how to cut a tree that is underwater.

I really appreaciate all of the ideas. it is going to take a huge winch to move this bad boy. The 30" is not cirucm. it is diameter. It's big.

But it basically boils down to there is a gaint tree that needs to be cut that is mostly in the water. Best I can tell at least some of the cut is going to have to be in the water.

Any ideas on how to cut a tree that is underwater.

I stand by my previous suggestion.
There are explosives that ignite under water.

Honestly I think that explosives would really do the trick in this situation. I could bore a hole down half way into the tree and then pack it full of explosives and then stand back and let her rip.

However, I don't think that I can get a hold of anything that will have enough boom in it.
Not like you can pick up ANFO at lowes.

I know a guy who used black powder to remove a large stump from his front yard when he was 16. His father had tried to dig it up w a backhoe for hours and told his son he would pay him $100 to get the old, rooty oak stump out of the rocky red clay. I assume his father thought he would use the backhoe but he used a brace and bit and welded extentions to bore deep into the stump and poured black powder down the hole, he used what he thought was enough, and added just a little more. He then dropped a long fuse down the hole and filled it w sand to the top, packing red clay in near the top. He lit the fuse and hid behind a large tree. The stump exploded w an earthshaking Kaboom that shattererd it into large peices, along w alot of his and his neighbors windows, while raining pieces of rock and wood down on the roofs, doing more damage that he spent the rest of that summer repairing!!!

Last edited:
Back