tried to hit the croatan national forest

92illpony

well i taped up some wires to help waterproof the truck a little better and i headed off with a friend. we were alone so didn't want to go to big. we drove around and finally found a trail with some mud. went through the first one in 4high and it was a breeze. next was a killer hole. jumped out and put the truck in 4 low. and checked the hole for its depth. the hole seemed like it was gonna be doable. i jump back in the truck and hit the hole. its deeper than though and got about 3/4 through it and the truck stalls. shit i got water in the intake. tryed to start the truck and it started and pulled itself out thanks to the 35's by mickey thompson baja claws. after i cleared the hole it died again. i new exactly what happened. pulled the filter and it was drippin wet. so i try and try to get the truck to run with no filter and it finally gets to where it partially runs without it. i turn the truck around and hit the hole again. i tried to stay farther off to the side and worked okay for a sec but the truck dove straight to the center again and drove right through it and died soon after. well the hard part was over. just limp it back to the house. the house is only about 18 miles away. the truck got home okay and i decided it was time for a snorkel. off to lowes i went. bout some abs plastic tubing and started fabing up the snorkel. i'm almost finished. just need some mounting brackets for the outside of the truck.

ai9.photobucket.com_albums_a92_92illpony_DSC01694.jpg

ai9.photobucket.com_albums_a92_92illpony_DSC01693.jpg

ai9.photobucket.com_albums_a92_92illpony_DSC01692.jpg

Nice job on the snorkel fab.

I think you were damn lucky you did'nt hydrolock your motor though.

Cool with the home engineering. :beer: Now to test it out. I want a picture of you with the snorkel doing its job. :D

i'll sure take pictures next time but i can't find anyone to go with me. i don't have a winch and i don't feel like walking 20+ miles home. i'll definately go next weekend.

Hey where did you go wheelin at down there?I used to be stationed down there back in '99! Catfish Lake road?,or down by the minnesot ferry?Man let me know how the snorkel turns out!What is that motor in the picture near the fender?Homemade turbo?How does it work?-Robbie

the only thing near the fender is the maf sensor and the stock airbox just chillen in there. i had not taken it out when the pic was taken. other than that stuff nothing is there.

Just a question. Where's your air filter on the snorkel kit?

its hangin off the back of the cab. i'm gonna redo the snorkel soon. i'm gonna find an airbox that i like that fits my purpose better and go safari style with it.

Croatan Bites!!!

You just gotta love the Croatan. It seems like every time I went out there, I broke something, or got stuck really bad. The last time I went out there, I spent 4 hours digging and winching to get myself and a buddy out. I had to winch to a group of saplings with only about 2 wraps of cable on the drum. To make things worse it was late in the afternoon. We finally got out as the sun was setting. On the way home, I felt some good vibes from the rear. When I stopped to check it out, I found out that I lost 3 lug nuts on one tire and had bent my rear axle pretty bad. I don't ever want to go out there again!!!

I dunno... I thought about going down there in my Jimmy, partly because I have some friends in New Bern, but that sounds like a place I wouldn't want to go in THIS:
aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v639_Trebissky_Bravo12.jpg

let alone something with only FOUR wheels!

JEE-ZUSS!! Please tell me that whole place isn't like that!

Note to self: under no circumstances including impending comet or asteroid collision ever go within 2 miles of Croatan Nat'l Forest, except on hard roads to shore! Yuck.

That's not MUD. That's what you get if you put dark chocolate and crude oil in a blender.

If you think that is bad, you should see the real holes!!! That one is only a pot hole!!! I have seen a that place swallow a K20 with 44's. Needless to say, we had to get a dozer to get him out.

i've only had my truck out 1 time and i was by myself. i hit one of those whole and it ate the front of my truck and go water in the box. read my first post if you haven't already. my truck luckily saved itself. thats a long walk to anywhere. i'll go back. i'm not scared. As long as someone bigger is with me.

Maybe one of THESE...

awww.militaryfactory.com_armor_imgs_m88.jpg

M88 Recovery Vehicle
Tank Recovery vehicles like the M88 were designed to recover damaged vehicles from the frontline while under fire. The standard ARV in the US Army immediately after the Second World War was the M74, designed by Bowen-McLaughlin-York (later BMY and now part of United Defense), which produced over 1,000 vehicles.

The M88 initially began life as a replacement for the obsolete M74 medium duty recovery vehicle to allow the recovery of front line US M48 tanks. BMY was awarded a contract to build three prototype vehicles under the designation of T88, to use as many components as possible of the M60 tank. These prototypes were followed by 10 preproduction vehicles for troop trials. Production was approved in 1959 when Bowen-McLaughlin-York Inc. signed a contract with the US Army for 1,075 vehicles, with the first production M88s completed in February 1961. The design turned out to be an extremely durable and well-planned Armored Recovery Vehicle (ARV) and the type was added to the military inventories of many countries from the 1960s on.

Though this vehicle has very good recovery capability & features, it fall short for crew protection. The hull of the M88 is of cast armour and rolled armour welded together, with the crew compartment at the front and the engine and transmission at the rear. The driver and mechanic are seated at the front of the hull, each with a single-piece hatch cover and periscopes. It had a front spade used primarily to stabilize the vehicle during lifting and recovery operations. The main winch could be used to drag a disabled tank or one stuck in mud back to an area where it could be towed or driven away. The boom could be used to lift tank engine-transmission units from tanks for repair. The towing pintle and tow bar could drag a disabled tank to a secure area for repair. The M88 was also used at the transport vehicle for the mechanics. It carried welding equipment, tools and spare parts.
:D

hate to bring up an old thread but can anyone tell me more about this place ? I've been trying to get some info on it and haven't found anything. I called a park ranger and he said that there was some sort of restriction of a 50 inch wide rule ... any help here ?

Well the last I heard they cloed it down. Then open it for 2 weeks and people were dumping trash on the trails so they closed it again. We were going to approach the rangers station and see if we could do a trail clean up so that we could get it opened again. Our club site is www.mrocnc.com and we are out of jacksonville mostly

Back