Truck keeps cutting off at idle

Stankoma

Yearly Wheeler
I can't figure out what's going on with my dang truck now. Starting yesterday, I was out getting lunch and heading back to the office when I pulled to a stop at a stop sign in a parking lot and the truck cuts off. I shift into neutral and crank it again and it cuts right back off. Crank it again it and finally stays on to make it back to the office. I drive it all the way home (A/C and radio on) and have no problems. Got up this morning to take it and get the alternator and battery checked and they checked out just fine. However as the alternator was being checked I had the A/C on and decided to turn if off to get a more efficient test and the engine dies. I crank it with the A/C off and it stays cranked. Drove another 3 miles down the road to get some gas and as I was sitting idle it cuts off again. It repeats this about 3 more times in the next 10 minutes. I drove it home and tried sitting idle in my driveway and cutting the A/C on and off and it doesn't die. So I can't make any correlation between the A/C on or off. Guy at Advanced Auto seems to think it’s a sensor of some type. There are no check engine lights on. What the heck does this sound like to you?

Yeah, check the filter first. The IAC should have hoses running in and out of the intake manifold. Shouldn't be hard to find. It won't always throw a code when it's dirty. If the filter don't fix it, try pulling the valve and cleaning it out with carb cleaner.

I just recently changed the fuel filter so I don't think that's it. However I think you may be on to something with the IAC, and rattlecanpaint helped point out where it is (bolted to the bottom side of where the air intake meets the engine). So I'm gonna break that down tomorrow and clean it out. We'll see what happens. If it looks clean and is opening and closing OK, I guess I'll head down the fuel filter path. Thanks for the tips.

Clean the throttle body and idle control valve. If it starts doing when rolling to a stop after a interstate run, clean the EGR valve.

Step on the clutch when you come to a stop!:flipoff2:

Check your ignition, I am not fluent in toyota but it could be a module getting hot or whatever controls your spark on that thing.

greg slade said:
Step on the clutch when you come to a stop!:flipoff2:
THAT must be what's wrong. They forgot to put a clutch into my AUTOMATIC! :flipoff2:

I took the air intake loose and cleaned out the sensors around the IAC, then took it for a spin the neighborhood. It seemed to do better, but I'll give it a few days and see.

Yo,
Ignition module is a possibility. The switching transistor in there becomes
unreliable with age. I suspect you are close to a complete failure when the
transistor finally vomits.....

Time for a frosty one.....:beer: :D

Yea, it'll still turn over, you just won't have any spark. The only problem is your ignition module is part of your ECM. IF it was the ignition module/ECM, it wouldn't start or run at all. Not just no idle.

Back