Trying to quit….

skyhighZJ

Thanks for your taxes
So after over 25 yrs I really need to quit chewing Copenhagen. Cold turkey is not the answer cause I have tried. The problem is
I REALLY love the taste of cope snuff. What is out there as a non tobacco substitute that has worked. I know all about the mental part of the equation and the “oral-fixation” of chew or smoking addictions. I also smoked for about 15 years and quit that easy enough because I had cope to “fall back on”. I have tried lots of times before and failed. I’m looking to replace the cope with something else that eventually will be easier to get myself away from.

Thanks.

Cold turkey here. After 30+ years dipping and moved to Florida where the price was double or more, I took a half empty can set it on the shelf in my closet where I’d see it everyday and I just quit.

Odd thing is, even 4 years later, every now and then I still get a slight hankering for one. Kinda like a chill just rushes over you.

Cold turkey here. Last pinch I had was on a trip to Ivy Branch with @Joe J. and @Hoodw!nk
I ran out on that trip and just decided I was done. That'll be 2 years in February. I've quit many times in the past, for weeks and months at a time. Even a whole year once. It's always the same downfall, I get around someone dipping and I want a pinch. I tell myself I can do it just this once, I can do it every once in a while but within a day or so I've stopped and bought a can and it's all over.

Alcohol, weed, cigs, I can take it or leave it and enjoy them without any issues. But Copenhagen absolutely controlled me. I would cut business lunches short to put a dip in, I would hide it from my nagging wife, dip till my gums hurt and switch sides.
I was dipping 2 cans a day and didn't even know it and that's like $10/day!

I have now gone so far now I just can't slip back into it. It probably sounds silly but I have to treat it like I'm an alcoholic. I cannot do it just once, I can't even have the jerky stuff or anything.

Bonus points if you gulp down someone else's spit bottle. That'll slow you down. @BigClay

So after over 25 yrs I really need to quit chewing Copenhagen. Cold turkey is not the answer cause I have tried. The problem is
I REALLY love the taste of cope snuff. What is out there as a non tobacco substitute that has worked. I know all about the mental part of the equation and the “oral-fixation” of chew or smoking addictions. I also smoked for about 15 years and quit that easy enough because I had cope to “fall back on”. I have tried lots of times before and failed. I’m looking to replace the cope with something else that eventually will be easier to get myself away from.

Thanks.
I weaned myself off the grizzly about 2 yrs ago with Walmart brand nicotine gum. Start off with 4mg gum and drop down to 2mg. I finally quit all of it. The hardest part was completely quitting and not leaving myself excuses, eg when drinking. That's the hardest time to not want a fix for me.

I went from 1.5 packs of Marlboro reds to 8-10 cigars a day to zyn straight nicotine pouches. I then cut down to the lowest mg zyn pouches 3mg and used 4-5 a day. Now I'm dipping thyme. Yeah the herb for good Alfredo. I read that it clears sinuses which is an issue I have. It does help with sinuses and gives me something as a dip. I use the fresh thyme. I've also been pulling sprigs of a rosemary bush in the yard. I still sneak a zyn 2-3 times a day but I'm at a really low dose now and I'm going to go cold turkey by Wednesday .
With alcohol I quit cold turkey. I believe a large part of my success with quitting it was prayer and changing my mind. I had a pastor tell me once that to repent means to turn around 180. He also said it's to change your mind about whatever it is your doing.

I lucked out, I guess. I just woke up one day and dip didn't taste good to me anymore. It was literally that quick...from one day to the next. I'll still take a whiff of a can every now and again if someone has one, but I never want any.

I lucked out, I guess. I just woke up one day and dip didn't taste good to me anymore. It was literally that quick...from one day to the next. I'll still take a whiff of a can every now and again if someone has one, but I never want any.
I’ve known two people that just like you, something clicked and they didn’t want it anymore. Had a friend who smoked reds for as long as I knew him. We were sitting around one night, he lit a cigarette and immediately put it out. Said it tasted like ass and he gave the rest of the pack to an another dude that was with us. Never touched them again. My wife’s grandfather smoked for 30 years. Same thing. Woke up one day and decided that was it. Never touched one again. Weird how that happens.

Cold turkey here. Last pinch I had was on a trip to Ivy Branch with @Joe J. and @Hoodw!nk
I ran out on that trip and just decided I was done. That'll be 2 years in February. I've quit many times in the past, for weeks and months at a time. Even a whole year once. It's always the same downfall, I get around someone dipping and I want a pinch. I tell myself I can do it just this once, I can do it every once in a while but within a day or so I've stopped and bought a can and it's all over.

Alcohol, weed, cigs, I can take it or leave it and enjoy them without any issues. But Copenhagen absolutely controlled me. I would cut business lunches short to put a dip in, I would hide it from my nagging wife, dip till my gums hurt and switch sides.
I was dipping 2 cans a day and didn't even know it and that's like $10/day!

I have now gone so far now I just can't slip back into it. It probably sounds silly but I have to treat it like I'm an alcoholic. I cannot do it just once, I can't even have the jerky stuff or anything.

Bonus points if you gulp down someone else's spit bottle. That'll slow you down. @BigClay
It makes me almost gag thinking about that every time, and it was my own spit :(:laughing:

My brother has that with beer.
We used to both drink a lot. One night we were fishing he popped probably his third beer and literally spit it out. Poured it out opened another and said man all those are bad. I tasted his second one - it tasted as fine as bud lite could. He tried a couple other times and a few different beers …but they all tasted bad. It’s been a decade probably and he can’t drink one

I've used the Grinds coffee pouches with success for short term, its literally been the only thing that I stuck with because it was not "trying to be dip and disgusting" . I myself just can't seem to kick the habit. I can go a day or so, but I just keep coming back. My biggest gripe is the flavor. It just can not be replicated no matter how much I hype myself up with the "Fake" stuff. I have ordered from every company and they all taste like garbage to me no matter what the reviews say, and don't have the right texture. I have come to the conclusion that it is going to have to be cold turkey or nothin' for me. I just haven't built up the courage yet.

For me it's the texture and oral fixation...but similar to @77GreenMachine , I've quit for weeks, months, even over a year...but something always draws me back in to a two-tin-a-day habit. The closest thing I've found to address the texture and oral fixation are damp tea bags if you're in to pouches, or literal coffee grounds/tea bag contents (both damp), if you prefer snuff/long cut.

Yes...I'm aware I mentioned oral fixations and tea bagging in the same post, and yes, I know I'm ghey.

For me it's the texture and oral fixation...but similar to @77GreenMachine , I've quit for weeks, months, even over a year...but something always draws me back in to a two-tin-a-day habit. The closest thing I've found to address the texture and oral fixation are damp tea bags if you're in to pouches, or literal coffee grounds/tea bag contents (both damp), if you prefer snuff/long cut.

Yes...I'm aware I mentioned oral fixations and tea bagging in the same post, and yes, I know I'm ghey.

I believe I was hooked on the hobbit more than the nicotine. Not to say it's not possible that the nicotine didn't hold me more than I realized. But for me there was absolutely nothing like eating a good meal and putting a dip in. Having a few beers and putting one in, being with another dipper and enjoying one, holy cow and fishing! Don't even get me started on a long drive and a pinch...

I loved the texture, the taste (Cope Wintergreen), a good spit, cracking the seal on a fresh can. Knowing you had more cans in the truck. Getting that perfect size pinch, a good pinch after a Mountain Dew and a Reece's Cup, or some sketchy gas station mystery meat hot dog and a pinch afterwards to get the taste out of your mouth.

Okay I have to stop before I go buy a can.

My point is that addiction is far more than nicotine alone. The habit draws you in. Smoking is much the same. I worked with a guy that swore it was the habit. He had them in his shirt pocket and said he loved the satisfaction of shaking out a cig into his mouth.

But Copenhagen absolutely controlled me. I would cut business lunches short to put a dip in, I would hide it from my nagging wife, dip till my gums hurt and switch sides.

This is me. Tobacco products control me. I smoked for 6+ years. Switched to cope. Would do cigs when drinking instead of cope. Then i quit cold turkey for 2yrs. When i started getting more stressed again i started up herbal cigerettes. Then i started getting cigs and smoking them secretly, always carrying around a latex glove to reduce the discovery by smell. I would do a repeating cycle and start back up. Over and over over the years. I had quit for a few years and then one weekend at the beach i fell into pit hole called vaping. Ive been stuck on that for almost 3 years.

I have zero addictive personality with alchohol or any other substance. Just something with tobaacco. Its an anti anxiety medication for me. Every.Single.Time i go to quit vaping over the past year, the very next day something catastrophic and extremely stressful happens.

Recently I made a new effort to quit and bout some of the zyn pouches. Pop one in if i feel that overwhelming mouth/mental craze to have a tobacco product. Will see how it goes.

Btw, whats funny is that I cant stand the smell of cigs anymore, and the taste is disgusting to me no matter how tipsy i am lol. Thats one thing vaping did do for me - gave me the first long enough break from both dipping and cigs. Now cigs taste so dirty, and dipping has no enjoyable taste I only taste the chemical additives now. Now I just gotta quit vaping

How i feel trying to quit only tobacco, really gives a new understanding for people trying to quit hard drugs

I was a 2 can a day Copenhagen snuff guy all through college when my oldest as literally 2 and walking around and spitting in a bottle it made me sick to my stomach. I threw my dip away and never looked back.

6 months or so back I heard either Huberman or Attia talking about increased mental clarity, focus and ADHD like mediation of nicotine. I bought the nicorette lozenges and a 20 count would last a month.
But they were expensive So I started using On or Zyn pouches....over the lats month or so it has crepped up to a can a week or so. I can now feel myself getting sucked into the habit ...should just quit...but I dunno.

Having a nagging wife seemed to help @Mulishajoe kick the habit at least 15 times so far. He'll go years & years without it. Then out of the blue, I'll find a can that he's tried so hard to hide (like he's not married to a nosey ass investigator :gtfo:)

Years ago, we were headed back home from visiting his family in NY for Thanksgiving. I had assumed the role of passenger princess & quickly zonked out. I woke up when for some god forsaken reason, he had his window down zooming down the thruway. It was freezing out. Some time way way later, he confessed that he had paid an exorbitant amount for a can then panicked when he thought I was waking up & chucked the m'fer out the window.

Besides that, pretty sure he's used sunflower seeds, dumdums, fireballs, gum...

Wishing you the best! Give yourself more grace than I give Joe.

I have been dipping two can a day for a long time. I don’t think it has affected me at all, I think I look pretty good for 25 years old.

IMG_7973.jpeg

Back