Trying to quit….

No shit, I went to Kingswood Elementary in Cary. It was the only 6th grade school in Cary in 70s. Three or 4 nice cafeteria ladies made the lunch They were made some damn good food. They would sit on a bench outside of the cafeteria after lunch and fill their lips w powdered snuff from a can. I asked them what the were "eating" and the let me get a pinch. I stuck it in my lip like they did for 10 or 15 mins. and spit a lot and I liked it, good times I'll never remember :)

Last edited:
No shit, I went to Kingswood Elementary in Cary. It was the only 6th grade school in Cary in 70s. Three or 4 nice cafeteria ladies made the lunch They were made some damn good food. They would sit on a bench outside of the cafeteria after lunch and fill their lips w powdered snuff from a can. I asked them what the were "eating" and the let me get a pinch. I stuck it in my lip like they did for 10 or 15 mins. and spit a lot and I liked it, good times I'll never remember :)
My grandma dipped honeybee snuff till the day she died. Her and grandpa would spit in one of those big empty crisco cans they kept by the fireplace. It was disgusting to see that thing full. They’d sit on the front porch swing. He’d chew his red man, she’d dip her honeybee and they’d watch traffic go by.

6 months or so back I heard either Huberman or Attia talking about increased mental clarity, focus and ADHD like mediation of nicotine. I bought the nicorette lozenges and a 20 count would last a month.
This. I've struggled with tobacco everything. All my older piers and family used some form. Many was craftsman or used their hands everyday. Mine started at farm work and cutting firewood. After it came apart of my daily work I cannot explain the difference of engaging in what I do without it. I am literally less productive and less focused. It's horrible to the point I've crashed on projects trying to quit and came to a point of zero forward momentum. I get good and disgusted reach a point of stupid frustration and go buy xyz.....
The enormity of the difference and the instant clarity is embarrassing and a handicap. For the thirty plus years I've been fabricating I've fought it. Shoot even in the old booth welding at nights to get school in I'd get killer frustrated at running some pipe configuration......two donuts and horrible cup of instant coffee and Winston had me back in the saddle.

This. I've struggled with tobacco everything. All my older piers and family used some form. Many was craftsman or used their hands everyday. Mine started at farm work and cutting firewood. After it came apart of my daily work I cannot explain the difference of engaging in what I do without it. I am literally less productive and less focused. It's horrible to the point I've crashed on projects trying to quit and came to a point of zero forward momentum. I get good and disgusted reach a point of stupid frustration and go buy xyz.....
The enormity of the difference and the instant clarity is embarrassing and a handicap. For the thirty plus years I've been fabricating I've fought it. Shoot even in the old booth welding at nights to get school in I'd get killer frustrated at running some pipe configuration......two donuts and horrible cup of instant coffee and Winston had me back in the saddle.
The fog has been the worst part of quitting. It took several months to only sort of get over it. I oftentimes wonder if I would have this periodic dullness if I'd never got on nicotine, or if it's a problem created by nicotine use that only nicotine can fix. I drink half a pot of coffee every morning and it helps some. Still not the same as a fat pinch of grizzly straight though.

Ketamine (I think) fixed me. Had my wisdom teeth out over a year ago. Had to give everything up for a week. Started on sunflower seeds and ended up on ON!s. I’m down to 2mg but go through a pack a day. Still way less nicotine than I was using (2 cans grizzly Mint/day).

I’m in the camp of the nicotine was just self medicating. Studies are showing Ketamine is a long lasting antidepressant. So there’s that.

But for me there was absolutely nothing like eating a good meal and putting a dip in.

This is why I still crave Redman after not having chewed in 30+ years.

Hunting and fishing also screams for me to chew.

maybe check out Black Buffalo.

My Dad chewed for as long as I can remember. Then when he had to have his esophagus and part of his stomach removed due to esophageal cancer (12 years ago I think), he quit. Maybe being in the hospital for 30 days helped with that. Now when he drives he eats candy. He can tell you how many miles he gets depending on the candy.

Back