tube buggy....street legal?

lumpy

I am thinking about building a tube body on my K5 chassis. I would like to remain street legal. I see vw sand rails on the street all the time. As long as I keep a valid inspection sticker and have all applicable lighting and insurance, is there any reason I could not drive it legally on the street? :confused:

No reason at all. It's still licensed as a blaser then as far as the DMV know it still is a Blaser. That's what I plan on doing to my Yota eventually. (When it's not my DD anymore.)

I was kinda wondering the same thing about a vehicle that didn't start out as one. Can you go to the DMV and get a title like you can a homemade trailer? I.E. stamping a VIN onto it somewhere so you can get it inspected? I'd think it would just be easier to get the vin plate and title to a vehicle that has been scrapped and go from there.

The VW title is what all the rail buggy guys use..... Plus its a PITA to get a KIT car title in NC anymore.... basically requires all documentation of every part on it.....

As long as its 35 yrs old or older it never has to be inspected

Just curious if anyone knows the legality of this. I have in my possession a title for a 69 VW bug. I have a 94 Cherokee Shell, that is a trail only rig, and no title for it. I wouldn't mind having a plate for it. How would I go about using the VW title for it? Just stamp the vin on it somewhere and call it a day?

Any input would be appriciated. -Tim

I would look for a Cherokee title and plates. Apples and Oranges here.. Using a VW title for a tube buggy is one thing, but using it for a full body of another type vehicle is another.
Have to kinda stay inside the lines I would think. If you were using a Blazer frame and tubing it all otherwise I'd say a Blazer title is an easy way to go. A buggy with a Jeep grill and hood could easily be title as a Jeep.

I drive mine to lunch from time to time down High Point rd. and Spring Garden st. in Greensboro, no problems yet, of course I also sponsor a softball team that a good portion of the players are Greensboros' finest..lol

Back