Tube vs. Pipe

SpydyrWyr

What are the pros and cons to using pipe or tube when fabricating cages, tube beds, etc. Is there any reason not to use pipe, assuming you have the correct die to use in the tube bender? Does it tend to wrinkle or split more than welded tube? Obviously Drawn-over-mandrel is best, but can anyone shed some light on the subject for me?

Thanks.

please just look this up w/ the search feature. it has been covered here and every other 4x4 forum on the internet.

alright... thanks i guess. How bout being just a little more condescending next time. I'm sorry I asked.

do a search over on pirate4x4, there's some pretty in depth threads there on the subject. there's a few here also, but nothing extremely technical. in my personal opinion, pipe is just fine for things like bumpers, sliders, etc... but for cages and other critical things i think tube is the better choice.

Cool, thanks. A few of us are trying to decide what tube/pipe to use for exo's and tube beds, so we can do a group steel and die buy. One of the vehicles that will benefit from it is your old runner!!

Hope all is well,
-Dan

What Rufus just said - x2

And another 2¢ - (And I know I am gonna catch hell for saying this) HREW is fine for most other stuff, cages etc.

For the ones that says nothing less than DOM is acceptable for a cage -

Then why stop there - go straight to moly.

Seriously - it's your backside. Overbuilt is not a bad thing.
If you feel better with all DOM (and can afford it) by all means use it.

I'm no engineer, but all of them say tube is better for cages.

Pipe, generally, is thicker in wall thickness than tube. Well, tube and pipe can get into many, many wall thicknesses. Pipe is measured by the ID and schedule, tube is measured by the OD and wall thickness. Tube is a structural metal as pipe is not made/designed for structural, only pressure. Tube comes in many different material grades. The tubing is more consistent in size/dimensions and has less weak spots/defects than pipe does (especially DOM)

I"m sure there are more differences

wbcarver said:
Then why stop there - go straight to moly.

Because stress-relieving it would be a PITA.

rockcity said:

Haha! Funny that you mention that. I just got my mechanical engineering degree from State. I shouldn't even be asking this question!! :D Oh well, all textbooks aside, I like to hear it from you guys who've have much more real-world experience working with it and seeing it in application.

Preciate the help,
-Dan

rockcity said:

Pipe, generally, is thicker in wall thickness than tube. Well, tube and pipe can get into many, many wall thicknesses. Pipe is measured by the ID and schedule, tube is measured by the OD and wall thickness. Tube is a structural metal as pipe is not made/designed for structural, only pressure. Tube comes in many different material grades. The tubing is more consistent in size/dimensions and has less weak spots/defects than pipe does (especially DOM)

I"m sure there are more differences

The only response to this thread worth reading...good job Rob :flipoff2:

To add to Robs response, lowes/hd pipe is not structural pipe. You can get 'structural pipe' but its just as expensive as DOM. The best is DOM due to it is 'structural' and yields a very high tensile strength. The most economical way for most is HREW, its not as strong as DOM but is in the same ballpark and its psi yield is alot higher than poop pipe.

Now on the contrary, pipe can be used successfully(just get life insurance, j/k). Give an engineer a box of straws and a tube glue and when engineered correctly it will most likely be stronger than most cages youll see.

my .02 :smokin:

X2 on the search pirate. Quite a few 5+ page threads on this subject.

And truthfully, I would trust 1.5 sch 40 (astm 53, not fence-pipe) more than I would trust 1.5x.120 hrew as long as it were properly bent.

wasn't trying to be condescending, just letting you know. its been beat to death.

patrics buggy is all pipe i think...and i know his cage in the old YJ was pipe and sartins cage is pipe...so there naysayers, that sh!t works :flipoff2:

paulevans76 said:
please just look this up w/ the search feature. it has been covered here and every other 4x4 forum on the internet.
Just wondering if when someone asks you about a Honda if you tell them to look it up and its been beat to death?

Well...why would you ask a salesman for information on a vehicle? They just sell them...
Research it yourself if you want a real answer.

BigBody79 said:
your a mechanical engineer? shouldn't you have learned things of this nature? or am i completely off in what engineers do?

I know the difference b/t pipe and tube in the way they are measured and the type of applications each are designed for, but I've never bent or built with either one. Don't mean to sound bitchy, but if you'd read what I wrote, you would've seen that I wanted to get information from people's first hand experience and knowledge about working with each one and the type of results everyone has seen. I know a thing or two about a thing or two, but not enough, and I'm humble enough to know when to ask for help and do research.

junkman said:
Just wondering if when someone asks you about a Honda if you tell them to look it up and its been beat to death?
Ok sorry to everyone who got butthurt by my mean mean reply :rolleyes:

to answer your question, If I was on a Honda enthusiasts website, I would. If I am at the office, I would ask them what their specific questions are, answer those questions, and sell them a car. That's how I make my living. I'm not selling pipe or tube on the internet.

SpydyrWyr said:
...do research...
you do know that research involves studying what is already out there, right? Just try the search. I dare you. :flipoff2:

paulevans76 said:
you do know that research involves studying what is already out there, right? Just try the search. I dare you. :flipoff2:

Ok... I get it. Thank you very much for beating a dead horse. Your snide remarks are greatly appreciated. Next time I want to buy a Honda and be belittled, I'll make sure to come to your dealership.

To everyone else who took a couple of minutes to share their knowledge and experience, thank you very much for your time and all of the good information, it is much appreciated.

Metto said:
patrics buggy is all pipe i think...and i know his cage in the old YJ was pipe and sartins cage is pipe...so there naysayers, that sh!t works :flipoff2:

it works so far, i just try not to overthink things. and i am cheap. i know i knw, it is my life..... :flipoff2:

maverick said:
DOM is prone to cracking.

:wtf:

A well constructed cage with gussets can be constructed with out it.

True. But your first statement is very odd.

If y'all have beef with someone take it to PM's. I expected to get good info by clicking on this thread. Instead I get good info here and there (thanks rob and jon) surrounded by arguing, etc. Thanks, Josh ;)

SpydyrWyr said:
Ok... I get it. Thank you very much for beating a dead horse. Your snide remarks are greatly appreciated. Next time I want to buy a Honda and be belittled, I'll make sure to come to your dealership.

To everyone else who took a couple of minutes to share their knowledge and experience, thank you very much for your time and all of the good information, it is much appreciated.
I did a search here and didn't turn up much. guess this hasn't come up since the board was redone. MY BAD

but, looky what I found:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=216563&highlight=tube+pipe
there are lots more on pirate.

and, just to contribute to this thread since it doesnt look like its going away, my personal opinion is that design, bends, and welds determine strength more than dom vs hrew vs pipe

and here's a handy dandy pipe guide:

468185_136_full.gif

Back