Tundra axle wrap

rabb11d

I have a 2011 tundra when I brake and come to a stop I get a thump from the rear of the truck. From what I have read on tundra forums it seems it is commonly caused by axel wrap. Some guys are using u-bolt clamps on the front of the leaf pack. So my question is, is this a bad idea? I trust the knowledge base here way more than some random d bags on other forums.

They are using this.
Advance Auto Parts - Down for Maintenance

I plan to investigate the clunk when the wife is in a good mood and feels like making it clunk while I check it out.(that could totally be taken out of context, haha)Truck also has a 1" block in the rear which I'm sure exaggerates the issue.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Clamping your leaf spring pack is probably not a good idea unless it is close to the axle. You are basically adding an unnecessary stress point.

I would take the block out and add a leaf spring to the pack first.

I can’t imagine the clunk is that bad but IDK. Your springs are functioning and a tiny bit of wrap isn’t hurting anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From what I have seen online, the thump comes from the drive shaft but it seems that the clamp calms it down. I agree it isn't a huge deal, but it bugs me. It also seems to be heat dependent. Tried to recreate it later last night and it wouldn't do it. Tried after my 32 mile drive to work, did it a small amount. I'm going to check it out again when I get home. My current theory is the support bearing on the drive shaft is wearing out. It has a big rubber isolator and has some movement in it, if I waggle it. That is the only thing could think of being heat dependent. I never notice it during the winter. It also didn't seem to be this bad last summer.

pull the slip out of the drive shaft and grease it with the stickiest grease you can find.

I'm going to give this a go when I have time. From the way it "bumps" I could see this fixing the issue.

My 99 tahoe does the same thing. I really need to build an anti wrap for it but it's easier to grease the slip in the TC.

pull the slip out of the drive shaft and grease it with the stickiest grease you can find.

This.
Ford had a similar issue years ago and we corrected it by lubing the driveshaft splines with a blue lithium grease. Fixered them right up.
The symptom was a ghost bump when you come to a stop from the shaft catching on the slip spline.

I had ds clunk on a 98 suburban for many years. Went away when I switched to the "blue" fluid. It was quite profound.

Back