Tundra or F-150 thoughts?

VortecJeep

Powered by Uranium-235
I am considering replacing my trusty 3rd gen Cummins with a 2016 or newer Tundra or F-150. For those of you that have one, what are your thoughts? I'll need 4WD, 4-doors, and be able to tow my jeep maybe a couple times a year. Also, the ride needs to be comfy. Only reason I'm considering this is because after 3 back surgeries, it is time to improve my ride quality. Its my daily driver, and when we go on family trips, we prefer the room of the truck over the Camry. I'll miss the diesel, but considering I don't get to hit the trails that often, I don't really need a 3/4 ton diesel.

I have a 2014tundra and I like it I like the ford also I just can’t bring my self to buy one lol the tundra tows a single car trailer very well it knows my 23ft enclosed is back there but it does not complain to much other then the terrible fuel mileage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have a 2015 tundra crew max 4wd.
Honestly at ~150k miles it's been problem free. Cabin room doesn't compare between f150 and tundra. Toyota wins hands down.
Biggest complaint about the tundra is fuel mileage.

The Ford probably rides softer. I like the tundra but it definitely rides like a pick up not a car.

New vs new the toyota is cheaper.
2 years old the Ford is cheaper.

Really just a matter of preference

Toyota...

Wait til June or July and you can add the 5.3 and 6.2 Chevy 1500’s to the list. Grabbed my 5.3 truck in mid 2016 for about 10k off sticker with all their rebates and they were very generous on trade in. There are leftover 18’s out there probably for cheaper than what I got mine. 83k miles in less than 3 years and I’ve just had my first issue. AC Condenser cracked (common issue). It’s on a farm just about every weekend or hooked to a 6x12 enclosed pulling my dirt bike stuff around. It’s been outstanding.

Turn off the AFM with a canned handheld tuner and it gets better mileage. I regularly see 18mpg on 295/70/17 Ridge Grapplers when it’s unloaded and 12-14 towing depending on how heavy or how I’m driving.

I'm not a Ford guy at all and I'd go for the F150. I drove an '18 with a 5.0 and 10 speed auto and liked it. My uncle has an '11 with a 5.0 and it's had a pretty trouble free 215,000 miles. A buddy's dad has an '18 Tundra and I'm not a huge fan, but then again, I never have been.

I'm not wild about the aluminum Ford bodies though.

Been doing a lot of test drives lately...just replaced the wife’s DD and will be replacing mine soon. I tend to gravitate toward Ford’s, but nothing was off the table...I still got a ford. The Toyota 5.7 was on par, power wise, with the Ford 5.0 and 3.5. So if you’re a Toyota Guy, I’m sure that’s great, other engine I drove (4.6 I think) was like a 15-20 year step back in time on the power front. Beyond that, I’ve never really been a Toyota fan, always felt cheap and/or utilitarian to me. Where the Fords felt more like driving around your living room. And from what I’ve seen you can get more options in a Ford than the Toyota for the same money in the 2-3 year old range...to me, that’s worth more than resale 5-10 years from now.

Last edited:
You can get a smoking deal on a Chevy or Ram right now, and it won't be a small displacement turbo motor....
I really haven't even thought to look at new until you said this. Searching the web on nightshift tonight, you are right about the deals for Chevys. I didn't look at Rams, I don't really want another Ram. Some Ford dealerships have good deals on 5.0 F-150s, others don't. A new Tundra is out of my price range. I found a couple I'd like to test drive.

My wife has a late model F150 with the 5.0, it's a great truck
We've used it to tow our camper numerous times and as others have said, the ride is terrific.
What I really like about it is the gas tank size. It's something like 40 gallons which is great for those long trips. We get around 17 or so driving to Raleigh at 70-75 mph.
I've never driven a newer Tundra aside from driving one after adding an ARB. That limited drive time showed me the Toyota had some real balls when you mashed the go pedal.

according to the dimensions the supercrew beats the crewmax in every interior dimension. When I was looking for a newer truck I went back and forth for a long time and ended up with a new 5.0 f-150. The tundra while I do think they have great reliability, it just seems like when I get inside I am stepping back into a 12 year old vehicle; Everything seems so dated. The chevrolets are having a lot of issues with the oil consumption and the afm, I don't believe they have fixed that issue yet. I have owned my 2017 for 2 years now and so far no complaints.

2018 Ford F-150 vs 2018 Toyota Tundra - The Car Connection

Have a 2015 tundra crew max 4wd.
Honestly at ~150k miles it's been problem free. Cabin room doesn't compare between f150 and tundra. Toyota wins hands down.
Biggest complaint about the tundra is fuel mileage.

The Ford probably rides softer. I like the tundra but it definitely rides like a pick up not a car.

New vs new the toyota is cheaper.
2 years old the Ford is cheaper.

Really just a matter of preference

Searching the web on nightshift tonight, you are right about the deals for Chevys.

Ram outsold Chevy in Q1, so GM is trying to get the #2 spot back. I think the new Chevies are ugly as shit, but they're offering $10k in rebates.

Ram outsold Chevy in Q1, so GM is trying to get the #2 spot back. I think the new Chevies are ugly as shit, but they're offering $10k in rebates.

GM really needs some new people on their design team....it looks like a Tundra, Ram, and F150 had a drug induced orgy and then out popped a GM bastard child.

At $60k, you're gonna need it.
Drove by the local FoMoCo dealer yesterday. Saw an XLT diesel 250 4x4 that caught my eye. Nothing flashy on the outside, sort of a Ford version of my Dodge.
For $65k you get a rubber floormat.
That's a hard pass from me.

Drove by the local FoMoCo dealer yesterday. Saw an XLT diesel 250 4x4 that caught my eye. Nothing flashy on the outside, sort of a Ford version of my Dodge.

I just can’t justify a new truck. For $30k I got a ‘11 Laramie longhorn dually with 90,000 on the clock. Does everything. A new one does for half the cost.

I stopped and talked to robby yesterday. He showed me the Harley Davidson edition f-150 it’s 98,000

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you not think all brands are in that range when comparing apples to apples? If not you are blind. I haven’t looked at new trucks in a while but when I did when I compared apples to apples there wasn’t more than about $1500 difference in the big 3.

This...2 years ago when I was looking for a new, crew cab, one ton, diesel, dually, 4x4...I wanna say the spread was closer to $3k for comparable rigs among the big 3. Keffer Dodge was offering an additional $7-8k worth of rebates no one else was (even other dodge dealers), so they got my money.

But that’s the funny thing about expendable income, some folks buy new vehicles, some spend it on meth, others spend it on trail beaters...’wasted money’ is dependent on perspective.

My father in law had a 2015 F150 Ecoboost Lariat CCSB 4x4 for the past 3-4 years and 100k+ miles. He had almost no issues with it, loved the power and got decent mpg, but hated all the "hi tech" crap that was constantly dinging and buzzing and alerting and distracting. A couple months ago, he traded it in on a 2018 Tundra Limited CCSB 4x4. He loves the Tundra because it is simpler, rougher, and louder. He can actually hear the engine, feel the road, and doesn't have 100 things beeping at him when he gets in and out. Fuel mileage sucks, but otherwise it is everything he wanted. He says it's like having a truck again.

Back