Tuning an LS swap

benXJ

I've got a FJ62 with a H55F 5 speed that has a truck 5.3 swapped in. This was done apprx. 10 years ago. The engine was 'new' when installed from an LS swap provider. I have no idea how the thing was tuned, but ever since I've had it, I've noticed some odd behavior, such as hunting for idle, real low RPMs with hot starts, and bogging under hard acceleration.

What is my best way of starting over with the tune and adding some more HP? Will I need to take it somewhere or can I load something at home? Would the canned tuner modules like a Diablo or the like work for me?

Any good LS tuning houses near the Triangle?

I've got a FJ62 with a H55F 5 speed that has a truck 5.3 swapped in. This was done apprx. 10 years ago. The engine was 'new' when installed from an LS swap provider. I have no idea how the thing was tuned, but ever since I've had it, I've noticed some odd behavior, such as hunting for idle, real low RPMs with hot starts, and bogging under hard acceleration.

What is my best way of starting over with the tune and adding some more HP? Will I need to take it somewhere or can I load something at home? Would the canned tuner modules like a Diablo or the like work for me?

Any good LS tuning houses near the Triangle?

Nothing canned tune is going to be worth a crap, and likely wouldn't play nice with your custom application. You could do a log, email log file, upload new tune, log, repeat but I'd just go to a tuner and do a ride along.

I'd make sure everything is good to go first. Check the fuel pressure, clean the throttle body, change the fuel filter if it has one, a good tune up...and then go get it tuned. Somebody with HP Tuners or EFI Live is always the way to go!

If you or someone you know had HP Tuners you could data log it (you'd need a wideband also) and email it to someone, but in your case, it'd be easier to take it somewhere. If I had to guess, I'd say it might run you 250 to 400 bucks.

send your ecm to Jim at Jim’s Performance, tell him what you want, tell him Transmisson, tire size, gearing, cam specs, it will come back ready to plug in and go

He has done 7 ecm tunes and 7 wiring harnesses for me and never had an issue

Back