Turkey brine recipes

RatLabGuy

You look like a monkey and smell like one too
Been put in charge of the Turkey this year (Friday).
I prefer to brine so it comes out nice and juicy and flavorful.

What's your favorite recipe?

I have tried lots of different brines over the years from mild to wild. I have not been able to tell the difference between any of them, so now I just use one cup sugar and one cup of kosher salt. I use this for any poultry. My turkeys go in the water frozen (they are in there right now).

I brought 10 chicken thighs to the get together already brined. I use the big easy oiless turkey fryer. It's just damn easy.

I just read a recipe that used sweet tea as the base, with salt and other stuff of course. Those that was pretty interesting.

I usually use some brown sugar, orange peels, garlic, peppercorns and misc green stuff (bay leaves, thyme etc).

I personally like the dark meat just as it is, just meat flavored, and kinda debating cutting the legs off and not brining. Thoughts? Worth the effort?

I brought 10 chicken thighs to the get together already brined. I use the big easy oiless turkey fryer. It's just damn easy.
And they were damn good! Thanks for sharing. I was just telling the wife about that fryer last night.

I listened to an episode of meat eater that broke down the chemistry of brines and rubs. Long story short, brines don't do anything to the meat.

I listened to an episode of meat eater that broke down the chemistry of brines and rubs. Long story short, brines don't do anything to the meat.
I've eaten enough brined and unbrined chicken to say with 100% confidence they are wrong. 🤷‍♂️

We had one brined in sugar and Salt, but injected with bourbon and smoked (spathcocked) sp? Was really good. Took 4 hrs to smoke.

Kosmos Q Turkey Brine - 16 Oz BBQ Brine Mix for Whole, Smoked, Oven-Roasted or Fried Turkey - Award-Winning Turkey Brine Kit Made in the USA (Turkey) https://a.co/iMe17Os

I have used this one before and it was really good
That's what I use, too. This year I added 1/2cup maple syrup and 1/2cup of bourbon

1 cup brown sugar, 1/2 cup kosher salt, 5-6 lemons quartered up, 1/2 cup whole peppercorns, 1 gallon water bring to a boil then chill turkey in for 24/36 hours. I call BS on the brine vs no brine. Brine is always better finishied probuct.

Yes and no. The water doesn't fundamentally change anything, all it does is add moisture so that when it Cooks the meat and in particular the white meat doesn't get so dry. It just makes it more moist.
What matters more is the salt, which breaks down the dense proteins that normally would contract during cooking and force the moisture out like squeezing a sponge. By not having those there it retains more moisture also.
This is why dry brines are basically just coating and salt and do much of the same thing.
I've eaten enough brined and unbrined chicken to say with 100% confidence they are wrong. 🤷‍♂️
No doubt that Brian's make them more moist. The trade-off is that you actually lose some of the flavor because it will see back out into the brine while soaking, and the flavor is literally watered down.
Personally though I HATE dry meat, especially white meat, so the trade-off is worth it to me.

The real challenge with properly cooking a whole turkey is the difference in temperature needed to get the dark and light meat to get it "falling apart" cooked (denatured protein). The dark meat needs to be like 170 to 180, while the light only needs to be like 150. Getting that white meat so much hotter for so long really tries it out.
That's why the brining really helps no- it prevents dryness in the breast.

I'm personally of the opinion that the best way to do it is a dry rub and then spatchcock (slicing open and laying flat) so the dark needed just as much exposure as the breast. But it's not practical if you have a particularly large bird.

Last edited:
Yes and no. The water doesn't fundamentally change anything, all it does is add moisture so that when it Cooks the meat and in particular the white meat doesn't get so dry. It just makes it more moist.
What matters more is the salt, which breaks down the dense proteins that normally would contract during cooking and force the moisture out like squeezing a sponge. By not having those there it retains more moisture also.
This is why dry brines are basically just coating and salt and do much of the same thing.

No doubt that Brian's make them more moist. The trade-off is that you actually lose some of the flavor because it will see back out into the brine while soaking, and the flavor is literally watered down.
Personally though I HATE dry meat, especially white meat, so the trade-off is worth it to me.

The real challenge with properly cooking a whole turkey is the difference in temperature needed to get the dark and light meat to get it "falling apart" cooked (denatured protein). The dark meat needs to be like 170 to 180, while the light only needs to be like 150. Getting that white meat so much hotter for so long really tries it out.
That's why the brining really helps no- it prevents dryness in the breast.

I'm personally of the opinion that the best way to do it is a dry rub and then cocksplaying (slicing open and laying flat) so the dark needed just as much exposure as the breast. But it's not practical if you have a particularly large bird.

cocksplaying (slicing open and laying flat)
I've heard of spatchcocking poultry, The cocksplaying I googled. DO NOT GOOGLE that word trust me!

I've heard of spatchcocking poultry, The cocksplaying I googled. DO NOT GOOGLE that word trust me!
Sorry lol I was in the middle of another conversation and definitely fucked that up.

Kosmos Q Turkey Brine - 16 Oz BBQ Brine Mix for Whole, Smoked, Oven-Roasted or Fried Turkey - Award-Winning Turkey Brine Kit Made in the USA (Turkey) https://a.co/iMe17Os

I have used this one before and it was really good
If my math is right, you'd use 2/3 of that whole bag for 2 gallons of brine, what you need for one big bird or a 5 gal bucket
Although it's still probably about the same price as buying all the other spices and fruit etc to make your own

And omg who makes the nutrition facts for these things?
364% of your daily sodium?
What kind of psychopath actually eats the brine mix

Last edited:
I typically do a sweet tea brine. 2 gal of sweet tea, with salt, citrus, and herbs. It definitely adds color, and moisture, not sure about flavor.

This year I'm going to do a pickle juice bath.

This is my standard Thanksgiving turkey brine. Full disclosure - this brine is for an 8 to 9 pound bone in turkey breast. I cook it on a Traeger pellet grill at 325F until the breast reads 165F. I wrap it in foil and put it in a small cooler with towels to take up the extra in the cooler. Leave in there for 30 to 60 minutes then remove & slice with a Granton edge slicing knife. (Use whatever knife you want to but I’ve found the Granton edge works best for me.

In a large pot, combine 4 cups of apple cider, 2 large garlic cloves smashed, 1/3 cup light brown sugar, 1 tablespoon of allspice, 1/3 cup of coarse kosher salt and 3 bay leaves. Bring to a boil & simmer for 5 minutes. Take off the stovetop and add 4 cups of ice water. (I measure out 4 cups of ice in a bowl then add cold water to take up the extra space. Get a 3 gallon ziplock bag, put the turkey breast in the bag and pour in the brine/ice water mix. Add cold water as needed until the turkey is fully submerged. Cover and refrigerate overnight.

I've found the best way to do turkey is to leave it in the freezer at the grocery store and go buy a honeybaked ham. đź‘Ť

I think what we do came from Alton Brown. I've done it this way for... at least 7 years. It's always good and fairly easy, with the hardest part being cleaning the roasting pan, which takes inside of 10 minutes. I usually buy a 20-22# bird, put it in the fridge to thaw the Friday before and there is still ice inside when I go to brine it Wednesday afternoon. Always fine when I take it out first thing Thursday morning

1c apple cider vinegar
1c orange juice
3c apple cider
3c water
1c kosher salt
1c sugar
5 garlic cloves, or 1T powder, I'm not here to judge
3T peppercorns

Bring to a boil, chill, add turkey and enough water to cover (I use the turkey fryer pot).
Allow to rest in the brine in the refrigerator for ~16 hours.

Rinse well, pat dry, slather inside and out (including under the skin) with 2-4 T butter, generously coat with salt and pepper. Stuff the cavity with a roughly chopped apple, onion, and two oranges. Wrap in foil and bake at 500 for 30 minutes, then remove from oven and drop the temp to 350. Slather the skin with 2-4 T butter, insert thermometer into the thigh, bake until temp reads 160. When the temp in the thigh is 160, the temp in the breast is usually closer to 180. Wrap in foil and rest for at least 20 minutes.

In case anyone still needs some ideas…

53207412-42DB-4E8A-8761-D3285921F4D9.jpeg

Last edited:
Me and my buddy have been getting Dale's (I think it is) and injecting it throughout said bird. Let it hang out in the fridge for a bit until we get the brine ready.

For the brine, we get a large pot and combine 3 to 3.5 gallons of oil. Then we preheat that to about 375 or 380. When that gets ready, we'll slowly lower the turkey in to that and let it soak for 3-4 minutes per pound while keeping the brine mixture between 325 and 350 degrees.

:D

Me and my buddy have been getting Dale's (I think it is) and injecting it throughout said bird. Let it hang out in the fridge for a bit until we get the brine ready.

For the brine, we get a large pot and combine 3 to 3.5 gallons of oil. Then we preheat that to about 375 or 380. When that gets ready, we'll slowly lower the turkey in to that and let it soak for 3-4 minutes per pound while keeping the brine mixture between 325 and 350 degrees.

:D
I do similar but no Dales.

We rub the bird with a homemade seasoning recipe that sticks and crisps to the skin, and then dump the rest in the center fo the bird before frying. It somehow frys through the bird...Dont give me your science just taster the turkey and you taste the cajun. haha

Back