TV cable adjustment on Jeep ZJ??

95Trooper

Hey guys, does anyone know the correct procedure for adjusting the TV (Throttle Valve) cable on a 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee (ZJ) with a 42re transmission? I know how to adjust the cable on an XJ with an AW4 trans but seems I read somewhere awhile back that the procedure is not the same. On an XJ you pull the cable all the way back through the holder and open the throttle wide open and it adjusts itself. I’ve read if you do that on a ZJ it will shift erratically. Just wondering if anyone has adjusted the cable on their ZJ and if so what was the procedure? Thanks for the help!

I can look it up tomorrow on Mitchell if the above link didn't do it for you. The tighter the cable is (pulled away from the bracket) results in higher shift points. If I adjust mine to where it kicks down how I want it to, it will upshift way late under normal throttle. Manually shifting my zj is 1.5 seconds faster 0-50 than letting it shift itself (measured by a phone gps program).I think whoever built this trans did some VB mods that make it not shift at the same points. WOT shift @ 4k is way too low. But I settled for that over WOT red line shifts cause it shifted way too late for my liking driving normally.

Back