Upgrading CJ7 to CV Driveshaft

1980CJ7

If it don't go, chrome it
Hey guys,

sort of a newbie question here

My '80 cj7 has a 4" lift with a standard (u-joint) driveshaft to the AMC20. I have a Dana300 transfer case, and I was wondering if I can just bolt a CV driveshaft in, or would I need to change the output yoke as well.
thanks,
Steve

You need a cv flange type yoke for the rear of the dana 300 to connect a CV driveshaft

you have 2 options buy a new cv style flange for the rear output of your dana 300, about $40

or find the front ouput cv style yoke from a 26 spline np231, and put it on the rear of your dana 300

pm Andy from the Carolina Rockshop he said he had plenty of used 231 flanges

I am getting one from him soon

But, unless your pinion points at your t-case, just the CV driveshaft alone won't cure the vibes..

Pinion pointed ~2 degrees lower than the t-case

Is it common to need a CV driveshaft in a CJ7 with 4" of lift?

I'm guessing the CV style yoke is slimmer so that it doesn't interfere with the dbl-cardon housing .

I ended up having to go to a CV shaft but I've got 5" of suspension lift on my CJ5.

not sure how lengths compare since i have a CJ5 and you have a 7, but i used a front CV DS from a ford explorer and had it cut down to the length i needed. had $100 in it as opposed to a new $300 one.

I'd steer clear of a CV if at all possible. Personally I think they are more of a hassle. PITA to rebuild, more costly ,and at 4 " you shouldn't NEED a CV.

I rn a CV on mine, front and rear. To begin with at stock 7 wheelbase, I needed it. Now, not so in the rear. But I am spring over and 3 1/2 inch lift springs. Have liked mine since I put it in.

I don't have one in mine with a 4 inch suspension lift no vibration. However, I am installing a Klune as soon as UPS shows up with it and I will go with the a CV in the rear as I will shoeten the drive shaft by 7.5 inches.

Back