Using trailer wheels on a truck?

Hurley

WTFab
Is there a difference between the construction of aluminum trailer wheels and aluminum truck wheels? The intended application would be for street driving/drag racing on the front of my 2wd cummins.

The wheels in question: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CRR-W112-7780C/

The load rating is plenty high, and the center bore is the same as other aluminum truck wheels, but I'm not sure why the designation would be any different.

Decent drag wheels for high shock/load applications have steel sleeves in the lug holes. I would be leary.

IME, trailer wheels are more lightly constructed for the same weight rating, because they don't have the passenger safety factor, steer tire safety factor, etc, figured in. I don't have any experience with these particular wheels, though.

^the steering tire thing is more along the line of what I am wondering. Google searching netted only trailer tire comparisons, which sucketh.

Maybe it's me, but I'm not seeing the advantage to using them at all? I don't see a listed weight, but I bet they are cast aluminum and not all that light weight. A typical cast wheel is just as heavy if not heavier as a similar sized steel counterpart, especially in the case of heavy weight rated wheel where light weight construction is not paramount. I would think, for your purpose you would be wanting to find the narrowest and lightest wheel possible. I think your best option would be to find a couple of the 16x6.5" Forged PYO wheels off a 01-10 Chevy/GMC 2500hd. They are only 17lbs each. Of course you would need to bore out the center hole to fit the Dodge hub. The narrow width, with some narrow tires would reduce weight, reduce rolling resistance, and help aerodynamics slightly. I believe the 2nd gen Cummins 16" wheels were also forged and pretty lightweight, although they are 16x8 so you have an extra 1.5" of material to add weight, increase rolling resistance, and increase wind resistance. I believe the 17x8 3rd Gen aluminum wheels are around 25lbs each.

Just for the heck of it, I recently weighed some wheels I had sitting around the shop. Stock 16x6.5" steel spare from my 2500HD-28lbs, stock 16x7 cast aluminum wheel from my wife's Infiniti QX4 (nissan pathfinder) 26lbs, stock 16x7 cast aluminum wheel from GMC 1/2 ton truck 23lbs.

I would honestly go with a narrow stock steelie before that wheel unless you are really caring about the looks aspect of it. As far as the legalities/safety of the trailer wheel, I am not sure.

I was just postulating wheel design, regarding the application of 'trailer' wheels - as far as this conversation goes.

I would honestly go with a narrow stock steelie before that wheel unless you are really caring about the looks aspect of it. As far as the legalities/safety of the trailer wheel, I am not sure.

One option that I am considering is to have my stock 16x6.5" steel wheels narrowed to 5" wide by WARRIORWELDING. As well I do appreciate the tidbit about the GM wheels... although i bet their cost would be more than I would want to pay.

rabb11d, i think we both know the same guy. baha

Joey if you get some chevy wheels and need the centers bored, I know a guy....
I'm actually boring the centers of some Chevy wheels tonight, but I don't believe I know either of you :cool:
One option that I am considering is to have my stock 16x6.5" steel wheels narrowed to 5" wide by WARRIORWELDING. As well I do appreciate the tidbit about the GM wheels... although i bet their cost would be more than I would want to pay.
I have some 15x8s I need narrowed to 15x6, I'll keep him in mind if he does wheel narrowing/widening.

I'm actually boring the centers of some Chevy wheels tonight, but I don't believe I know either of you :cool:

I have some 15x8s I need narrowed to 15x6, I'll keep him in mind if he does wheel narrowing/widening.

rab11d has a full CNC machine shop at his disposal (work)

rab11d has a full CNC machine shop at his disposal (work)
I used to, I do miss that. My method now is a little primitive, but it does the job.

Back