Uwharrie Heavy Trail Work Day/Weekend #14, June 17-19

When Will You Be Attending?

• Total voters
AS of right now I will not be able to make it. My parents that live in Florida will be up here that weekend. Grandparents want to see their grandkids. If the wife does not let them go with me to see them I'll bail and come up there for Saturday.

I'll let Chris know. He is a good guy. Sorry I missed you at the farms. I was out there Saturday but didn't stay for Sunday.

I saw ya for a minute, I was the guy who came around looking for 9" parts, was a wildly hectic weekend for us, but we got her back on the trail and beat the hell out of it until about 3:30 sunday when the fan took out the radiator, time for electric fans.

At least 4 of us from the Lake Norman area will be there Saturday and Sunday.
One of our guys has a duece. Would that be useful on these work days?

Glad to hear you guys will be making the work weekend. I think the other replies pretty much covered it. The duece would be especially handy if he doesn't mind the bed being loaded with rocks. And with 2 Bobcat Compact Track Loaders it will make loading easy considering we have over 10 loads of rock to handle. Also we will need a way to transport the attachments for the Bobcats on the trail. We don't want to be traveling back to a trail in a parking lot to switch between buckets,hydraulic breaker, auger, etc.

AS of right now I will not be able to make it. My parents that live in Florida will be up here that weekend. Grandparents want to see their grandkids. If the wife does not let them go with me to see them I'll bail and come up there for Saturday.

I hope you can make it up for Saturday at least. Would suck if you weren't able to at least make one day. Keep us posted! :driver:

I have been talking with Terry Savery via e-mail and she wants to make sure everyone is aware that Terry The Hot Dog Guy won't be there for this workday. So we will be eating lunch on the trail. With the heat this makes it a MUST to carry extra fluids. I am looking a picking up a water cooler to make sure we have enough water/fluids to go around. If not I will just throw extra bottles of water in my regular cooler.

I am in the works of breaking down the list she has presented and formulating a plan of attack. So when Saturday rolls around we keep it short and sweet as far as the meet up at Hunt Camp goes, and hit the trails running. :driver:

i can bring my f250 its a extra cab 8' bed so its long never been there so i dont know if it can go down the trails, it is 4x4we can load it up with what ever just throing it out there that its available for use let me know if i should bring it

That would be a huge help, Your truck should be fine for most of the trails, that would be a big help as there is alot of rock and also the bobcat attachments.

I sent Chris (guy that owns the Duece) an email. It doesn't have any "sides" so I'm not sure how useful it will be for hauling rock.

its got bald 265's on it but im gunna try to get tires on it next week so that would help some also gunna go up to 285's and probally a mud terrain

For most of the trails you shouldn't have any issues, your length will be more trouble to you than your bald tires IMO. I may be bringing my fathers k30, the front axle needs repaired, so its 2wd currently, but its on 37s with a detroit in the rear. Will help move things around as long as the trails aren't slick, and as long as he is cool with me taking it for the weekend.

ok i can maneuver the bus around pretty good so i should be alright, its just long low and heavy so its not good in the slick, i just bought every part you can for the front end some other things too so if i can get all that done this week end ill bring it for an alignment and new tires next week and ill be ready to go,

No go for bringing the pickup truck for this trip, may have a buddy coming with a lifted comanche though, should be able to help out a little bit.

I'm sorry I voted Fri-Sat-Sun, but I'll just be there for Saturday and Sunday. I only live 45 minutes away so I'll skip on the camping and just meet everyone at the Outpost.

I'm sorry I voted Fri-Sat-Sun, but I'll just be there for Saturday and Sunday. I only live 45 minutes away so I'll skip on the camping and just meet everyone at the Outpost.

I wish I only lived 45 minutes away, but compared to some people my 1hr 20min isn't far (some drive 2-3hours or more). We do need people for Friday so we can get the split rail installed, and prep work done. So if you change your mind just let me know. :beer:

In case he can't get the info forwarded to you here is the gist of it:

Friday: We will be doing prep work for Saturday. This includes hauling guard rail sections, and guard rail posts down the trail to where its needed. We also need to haul split rail fence, and install it. We will need a way to haul the bucket or auger depending on which one we are using at the time for the Bobcat. Also if we get time we may haul some of the rock to where its needed.

Saturday: Hauling wise Terry Savery has estimated 10 + loads of rock. We will need to haul the rock on the trails, plus the bobcat attachments. The attachments include the auger, hydraulic breaker, 4in1 combination bucket, plus 2 regular buckets. Of course 2 of these at any time will be on the bobcats, but that still leaves 3 to haul.

What I didn't include but is a given considering the work load:

-We will be installing guard rail
-We will be grading/dozing areas
-We will be breaking up rocks with the Hydraulic Breaker
-We will be using the Bobcats to remove broken bridges, and repair them

A lot of work to be done, but I think with enough prep work Friday we will be set.

DRaider what time were you going to start on Firday? I may just come up Friday and Saturday if you would prefer.

DRaider what time were you going to start on Firday? I may just come up Friday and Saturday if you would prefer.

I might be up there are early as Thursday night. So I will be out there all Friday to get work done. A lot of it depends on what time the Forest Service can get the T-190 picked up from RS Braswell Bobcat and hauled back to a trail head at URE. I plan on going with to pick up the machine so that would be the only time I wouldn't be out there. Either way we will get as much done as possible. We are probably looking at afternoon to get started. If Brian and I are out there Thursday night, we may get some of the stuff we can done in the morning, then what we can with the Bobcat and extra people in the afternoon. Thanks again for anyone coming out to help. :beer:

UPDATE:

I spent my day (10 hours) at Uwharrie today just hanging around and talking to various people (including Forest Service) about the work weekend among other things. I sat down and talked with Terry Savery for a little while, she said it looks like Pete will probably be meeting me at RSBraswell Bobcat around 9AM. So the bobcat should be at Uwharrie by noon. I also got to get some other info from her on the workload and I will be updating on that after I get to check my e-mail etc (just got home from URE). Didn't wheel any (was driving the Mazda 626) but I enjoyed my time out there today doing some prep work for the work weekend and a bit of relaxing.

I'm thinking that the work we do at/around kodak will be interesting depending on traffic.

Maybe we'll get some "temporary volunteers" to join in and make the work go faster, the way people pitch in to clear broke rigs so they can play on that section. OR there will be a lot of spectators and maybe alot of pictures taken of us working in that area.

I thought about posting a person at the three joining trails to that section but that would tie up three volunteers doing a lot of nothing, and maybe get them run over by a motorbike/4wheeler/sidexside, or yelled at, or pelted with busch cans.

I copied and pasted the schedule and preliminary work plan into one document, printed the map from the first page, printed a few out and stapled them together. This way we can see what needs to be done and where it is on the map. I'll bring some extras. Maybe not enough for everyone, but enough that hopefully you can find one when you need it.

I'll off on Friday, so I can be there Friday and Saturday all day (I forgot Sunday was Father's Day...)

Just name a time and place for Friday :thumb:

I copied and pasted the schedule and preliminary work plan into one document, printed the map from the first page, printed a few out and stapled them together. This way we can see what needs to be done and where it is on the map. I'll bring some extras. Maybe not enough for everyone, but enough that hopefully you can find one when you need it.
^ this is awesome. Because I don't have any working printers, so it will def. be helpful over the weekend.

Back